PDA

View Full Version : Coolant 'difficulties'

1slowlance
09-29-2014, 07:04 PM
What's going on, y'all. I was hoping to get some insight from someone/anyone about this overheating issue I've been having. I've got a 93 hatch with a swapped ka24de with 140k on the motor. Since I got it, it's been overheating after driving for around 10 minutes. So, first thing I did was put an aluminum overflow tank, since the one that was there wasn't even for a 240 and was just flopping around all willy nilly. Next thing was change the thermostat. Didn't fix it, so I drove it one day saw it getting hot, parked and saw a pinhole leak on a hose under the intake manifold. So, take that off, and change basically all the hoses under there while I had the chance and that didn't work, although I didn't have a leaky hose anymore, so there's that. And today I just decided to replace the radiator cap, hoping it'd be an easy fix like that and figured I'd check the water pump at the same time. Pump had a squeaking sound to it when I rotated it, so I replaced that too. Drove it afterwards, and still have the same problem, but no leaks till it gets hot and comes out the cap. So........any ideas? Could it be I haven't properly aired out the system and that's what's causing it? Oil looks good, so I don't think it's mixing there, and I just can't figure this ish out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this far, for those that took the adventure.

tl;dr: changed hoses, reservoir, rad cap, water pump, thermostat still overheats wtf

Kaifd3s
09-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Most likely air considering you changed almost everything. Flush the radiator, put a proper coolant/distilled water mixture in, and make sure you bleed the system. PROPERLY.

Search on how to properly bleed the system using the bleeder screw.

livelovesole
10-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Are you running the stock clutch fan or efans ?

1slowlance
10-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Efans, got it all fixed though. Guess it was just air in the system. Let it run for about 30 minutes each time. Think I did it 3 times and drove it around a couple times since and no overheating