PDA

View Full Version : S14 SR with Power FC problems

mrturboextreme
09-28-2014, 09:16 PM
I have searched this topic over and over with the same results. I have run out of ideas so now I am here.

A while back I swapped an s14 sr into my s13 coupe. The sr was purchased from a friend and ran really well in his s14 before I bought it.

The engine has a few upgrades but nothing crazy.

Anyways the problem started after the swap and I didnt notice it untill recently because I drive it very reasonably and don't beat on it.

When getting into higher rpms the check light will flash and the knock reading on the commander shows upwards of 70-90 near 5k rpms. When I drove my friends car with this exact engine and set up this never happened.

I am wondering what could cause this?

Car has 550cc injectors, s15 turbo, z32 maf, walbro 255, upper and lower wiring specialties harnesses, and a few basic bolt ons and is set at 12psi

Any help would be appreciated. I live in Delaware and the closest shop that I know of is JTUNE but I would like to get some opinions before I have it looked at.

Kingtal0n
10-04-2014, 05:17 PM
A common problem with "tuners" is they set the timing too far advanced. The engine will run "fine" but the additional timing eats up the bearings and can ruin the pistons over time.

Check your final ignition timing at full 12psi of boost. It should be less than 12* BTDC. My $$ says your is around 15-18* BTDC and that is why you are setting off the warning lamp.

Another possibility that I have noticed with S14/S15 engines is the VTC noise (bad gear) sets off the knock sensor. With VTC enabled on some engines I get that 40-60 counts of knock running through the gears.
With it disabled the knock count drops to under 14. Try unplugging your VTC solenoid (after the car is warmed up) and running it (if the ignition timing is fine).