PDA

View Full Version : 350 track rotors with z32 calipers, upgrade?

Moore
09-25-2014, 12:17 PM
I'm need new z32 rotors and I have seen that you can purchase brkts to allow running a larger 350z rotor on the front. Down side is you lose pad contact area as it over hangs. I cannot find many threads that actually review this as an upgrade. I found a couple were people did install them, and the larger rotor does look nice but no real mention of how the performance was. My concern is that the greater braking force with a larger diameter rotor is offset or made worst by losing the pad contact area.

And lastly would this be a reputable company to purchase adaptor brkts off of? I will not get brake components off ebay.

https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=881

seagrasser
10-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Disclaimer: I have not performed the upgrade

Pros:
Add rotor mass that helps with heat dissipation
Biases the brakes more forward.
Better modulation from larger diameter rotor

Cons:
Adds more rotation mass
Loose some brake pad surface contact
More expensive rotors

I couldn't justify doing this upgrade unless there was a nice two-piece rotor I could use. Researching found some options, but they were really expensive. Don't think the pros justified the added cost and rotational mass, so I never invested in it.

Track guys swear that a Z32 swap is more than sufficient for the S chassis unless you are doing really heavy braking.

My .02

rawgarage
10-01-2014, 12:52 PM
i have new brackets if you need some...

Prok0
10-01-2014, 01:03 PM
I ran that setup for a few years, did a few track days and drove on the street mostly.

Worked fine for me, no issues, stopped great, even doing a road course day at Daytona on a short course it was great.

Ended up going to CTS-V calipers though just because its inexpensive and I was able to sell my old setup for a decent amount of cash.

iLagX
10-01-2014, 01:46 PM
cts-v calipers vs 35z brembo its about the same price if you add it up with the bracket =/
i rather stick with 350z brembo plug and play

Moore
10-02-2014, 10:58 AM
With the z32 set up I get fade after 15-20 mins on a road circuit. I agree with the pro's con's listed above. I think the front end having more braking would be good on my s13, my rears with z32's lock first and seem like they are working too hard, smoke comes off them when I pull off the track while the fronts seem okay.

I didn't think the price difference between rotors was too bad and the brackets are low cost as well. I just want too hear from someone who has this upgrade it does improve braking. @ Proko - glade to hear it worked well but would you say it was an upgrade from the stock set up. Thanks for comments.

seagrasser
10-02-2014, 12:05 PM
In all honesty, I don't think it will improve braking (distance, stopping power). Perhaps you will see better modulation (better control of braking effort).

If you are seeing the issues listed above. Suggest looking into different front pads and a proportioning valve. This will allow you dial in the bias to your liking. After that, if you start to lock up the fronts in order to stop, then I would look into this upgrade.

This thread is good read (opposite problem, but good info). The guys on nissanroadracing have explored breaking options for the S chassis to an extreme.

http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=2781

This is a quote from the thread

"Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
Good example is that I went from the Z32 rotors to the brembo Z33 rotors on the front (same caliper) of my car and I could hardly tell any difference in brake bias on track.

That actually added about 15% more front brake torque due to the larger lever arm. But yes, in general you're not going to feel a few percent brake bias change here or there since the surface the car on makes a huge effect relative to that."

jr_ss
10-02-2014, 03:19 PM
You will have slightly better braking with the brackets and larger rotors solely bSed on surface area and lever arm. In all honesty, you should ditch the Z32's and go with something newer and designed to work with 12.75" rotors. The Z32 w/ 350z rotors bracket kit doesn't utilize the whole pad, leaving roughly .250" of over hang. I ran them on my car for quite some time like this, but ultimately went with something that was both cheaper and more effective.

In the end, it's your money, spend it how you want.

seagrasser
10-02-2014, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=jr_ss;5735626]I ran them on my car for quite some time like this, but ultimately went with something that was both cheaper and more effective.

QUOTE]

I am curious now. Do you mind describing your setup.

jr_ss
10-02-2014, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=jr_ss;5735626]I ran them on my car for quite some time like this, but ultimately went with something that was both cheaper and more effective.

QUOTE]

I am curious now. Do you mind describing your setup.

I kept the 350z rotors and purchased brackets that let me run Wilwood FSL calipers. Pads are much cheaper(adds up when you burn through them at the track) and there are a boat load of compounds available. I may eventually switch to 2 piece rotors to shed some unsprung weight as well. Pictures are in my build thread if your eyes would like some candy. Probably middle of the build.

DreamN
10-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Running this setup now since I already had a Z32 calipers. I just wanted to fill the wheel space a bit more. Cheap mod in my opinion, but I'll probably go with CTS-V if I keep the car.

seagrasser
10-02-2014, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=seagrasser;5735654]

I kept the 350z rotors and purchased brackets that let me run Wilwood FSL calipers. Pads are much cheaper(adds up when you burn through them at the track) and there are a boat load of compounds available. I may eventually switch to 2 piece rotors to shed some unsprung weight as well. Pictures are in my build thread if your eyes would like some candy. Probably middle of the build.

Very nice setup and looks way functional

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt352/jr_ss/Wilwood003.jpg?t=1339034253

Prok0
10-03-2014, 09:10 AM
With the z32 set up I get fade after 15-20 mins on a road circuit. I agree with the pro's con's listed above. I think the front end having more braking would be good on my s13, my rears with z32's lock first and seem like they are working too hard, smoke comes off them when I pull off the track while the fronts seem okay.

I didn't think the price difference between rotors was too bad and the brackets are low cost as well. I just want too hear from someone who has this upgrade it does improve braking. @ Proko - glade to hear it worked well but would you say it was an upgrade from the stock set up. Thanks for comments.

I went from stock brakes with stock replacement pads to a set of Z32 front 26mm with stock replacement pads, good improvement there on the street, then I went to Z32 rear, Z32 30mm front with 350z rotors, and HPS pads, a very notable upgrade there from the prior setup.
At that point I just had issue with having a good enough tire to keep things stopping instead of locking up.
Upgraded to RT615K 265 rear and 235 front and they worked great, over the 20 minute track session at daytona I didnt experience any fade, and I was hitting around 120-125 on the back straight before having to get on the brakes hard for a hairpin turn.

Another thing you could do and I was looking into was making some backing plates to run ducting to, that would help a lot if you are having fade issues.

But yea, I opted to go CTS-V as the calipers were 130 each, brackets were like 120, pads were pretty cheap, and if you flip the bleeders and fluid transfer tube so that the bleeders and the fluid inlet are on the same side, you can run a standard Z32 brake line. So it was a pretty inexpensive option after selling my old setup, plus it looks really cool haha.
I like the CTS option as you can run a whole plethora of pads from the EVO, where setups like Wilwood/Stoptech, in the back of my mind I always worry about the company going out of business and me not being able to source pads.

Moore
10-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the comments, I actually had never heard of being able to mount CTS-V calipers until this thread so that might be something to consider. I think I've read enough to decide not to bother with this and save money for something else. I would love to get the stoptech set up but $$$, my friend just got them for his sk2 and it's made a world of difference. I use to be faster than him at track days and now he can brake so late with so much confidence I just keep slowly falling back every corner.

Prok0
10-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Yea the CTS-V calipers essentially are the same base caliper as the EVO/STi, just a different mounting ear to push the caliper further out to accommodate the larger rotor, as well as a bit bigger recess inside the caliper to fit the taller pad.

But when you mount it to S13/14 you would use EVO pads and rotors.
Heres a good write up
http://domofactor.com/yuki-cts-vz32-brake-swap-finished/

The only thing I will say is before you modify the back of the caliper, flip the bleeder screws and fluid transfer tube on the caliper so the bleeders are up top with the fluid inlet, that way you dont have to run a wacky line like he did.

Also you can get a little creative with pad/rotor choice to keep pricing down if you want as well.

nextproject
10-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Speaking of z brake upgrades, i was wanting to upgrade my z32 fronts w/ 350z track rotors to a 2-pc rotor. AMS in canada is selling 2-pc rotors for track pack 350z's for 300 a pair!!!!! on sale!!!!!!! the going rate for 350z 2-pc rotors is 600-800. Needless to say, a pair is on order and will be shipped monday. Those track pack rotors are HEAVY so the unsprung weight will be a nice addition.