PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering if it's better to rebuild a ka24de or just buy a different engine?

el_tapatio
09-22-2014, 06:19 PM
I have a 96 240sx and I just want to make it a somewhat fast. [emoji594] [emoji100]

angel mkiv
09-22-2014, 06:26 PM
You really need to give us more background info for us to help you..like is it a Daily? Track car? But I figure this might be your first car so I'd source a sr20 swap and go that route..a lot faster and relatively easy to do with tons of aftermarket parts.also not crazy expensive

el_tapatio
09-22-2014, 06:48 PM
It's my first 240 and it's not a daily or track car, I want it to just drive it around once in a while. Honestly I know very little bit of engine stuff but I want it to at least have 600hp or more, I was thinking of putting a 1jz and big turbo or twin turbos. Something not to expensive or cheap.*
I honestly need help, support and good ideas.

v30magna
09-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Honestly, you need to learn a lot about engines first or pay a shop to do it. In a car this size, 600hp is gonna be a lot. I would pay someone to do an ls swap and brace up the chassis and drive line if you need that much. With 250-300 hp, you can do most anything. Traction is gonna be an issue with the factory motor and a turbo. You are looking at 5-10 k depending on how good you are at sourcing super cheap parts and how much you do yourself.

My grand scheme is a v6 vortec from a wrecker yard with a turbo, then whatever tremec I can find. I can do it for about 2k, but I can weld and fab. I'll get about 400hp.

Turbo the factory motor without building it is gonna be cheapest, cost you 1-2k if you do your own work. I can get it done for a little under a grand using junk. If you pop the motor, get another. There are about 6 running factory engines within driving distance of here for $100.

el_tapatio
09-22-2014, 07:26 PM
With how much $$$ can you get at least 300hp than? because 10k is too much. I would love to learn about engines but I don't know where to go to learn other than college? If I turbo the factory engine I'm gonna get it rebuild because right now it has 209k miles. You will be able to do this? Where are you located because I'm in Iowa.

pvtdynamite
09-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Swap anything into it... I would recommend a 3 cylinder geo metro motor into before I would build a ka... That motor is trash, I have had nothing but bad experience with both of mine. Since you seem to be new at tuning/modding (whatever people are calling it nowadays) I would recommend sr20 or ca18 because you can build it to be just like a factory silvia without fabbing. But in all honesty the 240 has a massive engine bay you could fit a viper motor in there if you knew what you were doin. On another note, 600hp is huge... If you're used to the factory 150hp... Start with 200... Go up slowly from there. The learning curve is there for a reason. Speaking of learning... The internet is a good resource for learning. Also your local library has surprisingly a lot of books on vehicular performance. Good luck fellow nissan owner

el_tapatio
09-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Thanks man, I'm gonna try my best and as soon as I decide witch engine I'm getting I'll post up pics and everything but thanks for your advice. pvtdynamite

Instagram-> eltapatio33

pvtdynamite
09-22-2014, 10:18 PM
I have so much to say to new 240 owners... First tip. Don't just go blowin money on shit that claims a performance gain. Do your research!!!!! 2nd... The engine is relatively unimportant. Super sexy suspensions are what make these cars perform. With that you can do well with only mediocre power numbers.

pvtdynamite
09-22-2014, 10:19 PM
I'm doin vq40 into my s13... Look into it bro

el_tapatio
09-22-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm gonna research and hopefully I learn some stuff before doing it wrong but thanks for your advice and hopefully your 240 comes out good.

Instagram-> eltapatio33

v30magna
09-22-2014, 10:40 PM
You don't build the ka. just turbo it, blow it up, then replace it...

Kingtal0n
09-23-2014, 11:05 AM
only replace 4-cylinder engines, never build them. IDC what model, sr20, ka24, 4g63, etc...

not that they cannot be built; it's rarely worth the effort.

v30magna
09-23-2014, 01:05 PM
+1 king. Just not worth the time or effort. If you are sentimental about it, you could do the timing kit and some gaskets, but a rebuild on one of these motor costs more than just buying a good one. For real. There are $100 running Ka's everywhere around me.

angel mkiv
09-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Ok first you want something somewhat fast but then after you state you want 600hp in a 2700lbs car? And then say 10k is to much??you need to do a lot of homework man because your all over the place.my best advice is read up on build threads and just search and then read some more..then decide on what's best

eek
09-23-2014, 03:17 PM
You want fast but cheap but not too cheap? Seems like your young and confused and don't realize making 600hp takes alot of $$$ and when you add in decent parts that's even more $$$. You want to go fast, be light and not break the bank? Pick up a used crotch rocket motorcycle.