PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer problems dohc/sr

jscherf92
09-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Alright here's the skinny, when the ignition/accessory power is on, my speedo needle immediately starts rising to 40mph, it stays there when stopped, it doesn't move when the car is in motion. The only time it began to read accurately was when the car was getting hot (hot day, engine at operating temp).

So I'm suspecting bad capacitors but I've never attempted gauge/circuit repair like this. VSS is working properly, odometer still works, old speedometers never gave me an issue so I'm thinking it's gotta be the circuit board or speedometer motor itself. The rest of the cluster works fine, wires are run properly and plugs are tight.

Also if anyone has a lower milage dohc speedometer or even an entire cluster for a decent price, hit me up.

spiegel420
09-28-2014, 06:51 AM
Youre probably right. If it was a problem with the speed sensor wiring, the odometer wouldnt work either. But since the odometer is driven by the speedometer. I doubt your mileage reads correctly!

spiegel420
09-28-2014, 09:02 AM
trip meter wouldnt work if it were speed sensor.

jscherf92
10-02-2014, 08:58 AM
From what I can tell, the odometer and trip odo are working fine. Typically the needle will rise to 40 mph when accessory power is on, sometimes it will stay at zero and rise very slowly, sometimes it will jump to 70+, occasionally it just bounces around like a toddler on speed. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced dohc cluster but the ones im finding are $80+. I've never paid more than HALF of that for a stock analog cluster before but I may have to suck it up.