PDA

View Full Version : To Cage or Not to Cage? That is the Question

mdb4879
09-05-2014, 09:41 PM
First off, hey everyone. I'm Matt and am pretty new to the forum. I've lurked in the shadows before, but now I need some opinions on what to do with my my most recent project.

I've got my S13 hatch pretty much stripped. The only thing left on the inside is the steering column and pedals. Up to this point I was set on a cage, but now I'm having second thoughts. The primary reason I wanted a cage was to stiffen the chassis (I know the main function of a cage is for safety, but added rigidity is a secondary benefit I could exploit). Now I'm thinking I should do more spot welding and save the weight. So would the advantages of the cage outweigh the added weight? (I'm guessing a little over 100lbs) I'm already going to some extremes to save weight, otherwise I wouldn't care.

The only things that will be functional on the car are the lights and wipers. I'm removing any unnecessary wiring from the body harness and there will be no HVAC. The car will only be used for fun, but able to drive on the street. Performance is my main concern, so cost and functionality on the street can be tossed aside.

I don't really plan on any high level competition, so I'm not sure if the cage will ever be necessary for me. But if it's ever going to get a cage, now would be the time to do it. My plan for the cage was to have bars cross from the harness bar to to strut tower, bars cross from the top corners of the roll bar to the back ends of the frame rails, have to door bars cross each other then after they reached the front hoops continue to the firewall. I intended to double the spot welds around the door frame and the entire strut towers, and possibly lay down fiberglass on the wheel wells and the spare tire well.

If I decide to go without a cage I'll keep the factory dash bar, have a harness bar, and either a triangulated rear strut brace or a cross bar between the strut towers and C-pillars. Plus all the spot welding and other stiffening measures.

So what do y'all think? Should I cage the car or just spot weld the rest of the chassis? If I cage the car what should I spot weld if anything? Should I still glass on the wheel wells and spare tire well? What about foaming the rocker panels?

Kingtal0n
09-06-2014, 09:26 AM
you answered your own question, you said " drive on the street "

If you drive on the street, you probably do not want to wear a helmet. So you would not want a cage.

MADE
09-06-2014, 09:39 AM
I'd never cage a street car, personally but this a going to be a "fun" (track) car that may be driven on the road right? If you moving it to and from and test. Id say do it.

mdb4879
09-06-2014, 03:43 PM
You make a good point about wearing a helmet with a cage. I forgot I'd probably be banging my head on it. I'd more than likely have it padded, but if I were to get in a wreck that wouldn't help much.

On the other hand, I'm not going to be driving it on the street but once in a while (I know it just takes once to screw me up). Pretty much just to local events, the occasional car meet, and late night weekend drift sessions.

Rayne
09-07-2014, 02:05 AM
I'm not going to be driving it on the street once.

Pretty much just to local events, the occasional car meet, and late night weekend drift sessions.

Is the car, in the near future, ever going to be seen traveling upon the public roads?

mdb4879
09-07-2014, 05:01 AM
I just realized my last post was misworded, so I just went and changed it. It won't be on the road any time soon. If I'm lucky I might have it driving in the next year, but maybe longer than that. When the car is finished, it'll probably get driven on the street 4 times a month, primarily late at night.

I talked to a few people that have dealt with cages last night and I left with this: unless I need the cage, don't do it. Because most of the time you don't need a cage to compete, but if it's there it's another thing that might not pass tech. I'm not worried about having a substandard cage (I wouldn't bother with it just to end up having something nonfunctional, safety or rigidity wise). But it sounds like it really isn't that necessary unless I'm really serious about running in a pro league.

I'm still not sure how much stiffer it'd make the car compared to the weight saving methods I mentioned. It seems like just the spot welding and braces would be enough for my means, but I'm still open to suggestion as I'm not entirely certain how stiff each would be.

Kingtal0n
09-10-2014, 10:07 AM
yeah its crazy going that far if the car is just a toy around town. Plenty of other ways to stiffen her up without having the possibility of death.

pvtdynamite
09-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Unless you plan on wearing a helmet on the street, don't do it. The last thing you want is to bang your bear head on a steel tube in a wreck.

RurouniMidnight
09-17-2014, 12:25 PM
You already ruined the car, might as well put a cage in it. Why take out the carpet and interior if not caging it haha. Not doing any serious racing then why would carpet and plastics make a difference taking them out. I would try and put interior back in and keep the car nice or just get a bolt in cage, that way you can keep interior and still stiffen chassis and also they are cheaper.

a3dicbillygoat
09-21-2014, 06:39 AM
All these people are saying how dangerous a cage is.... yet the stock chassis completely crumples on any kind of impact..... I would rather bang my head (which can be avoided) then get my body sandwiched and impaled by my chassis.

xBtony
09-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Do a simple 4pt with a harness bar and drive it on the streets no problems. Thats what I did for a year or so, ended up redoing the cage for competition and now I'm selling the car since I cant enjoy it on the street.

slideways2004
09-21-2014, 02:58 PM
You already ruined the car, might as well put a cage in it. Why take out the carpet and interior if not caging it haha. Not doing any serious racing then why would carpet and plastics make a difference taking them out. I would try and put interior back in and keep the car nice or just get a bolt in cage, that way you can keep interior and still stiffen chassis and also they are cheaper.

This.

I really don't get why so many people love to gut the interior. It's not like it weighs a MM lbs. you lose like 5 lbs. and then your is so shitty.

I used to be about the fully stripped and painted interior and full roll cage. When the car finally got running, I realized how miserable and "shitty" it was. I still like roll cages, but now it's all about full interior roll cage cars.

slideways2004
09-21-2014, 02:59 PM
I would rather bang my head (which can be avoided)

LOL. I would like to see that. :facepalm:

a3dicbillygoat
10-09-2014, 04:38 AM
LOL. I would like to see that. :facepalm:

the only way I could ever see my head hitting the cage in my car would be getting blind side T boned in the drivers door at 30 mph+ or the car doing half a flip and landing on the roof on the drivers side.

with or without a cage you are fucked.