PDA

View Full Version : Electrical failure S13 240sx hatch

JD_Stance
08-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone. My first post so go easy haha. I bought my 91' 240sx a couple of weeks ago and it's been perfect to me so far. Bought it off a Nissan dealership with 68,000km so about 42k miles. It was owned by an old retired couple and garage kept for the most part. It has some minor issues but none that are troublesome. Until now, the electrical a have just gone on me and I tried searching around with google and everyone send to be having different mixture of problems but none of which are the same bunch as mine. So I'll just list them I guess.

Things that do work.
Dash lights (when lights are turned on)
Headlights, the amber lights, and the daytime lights below the amber
Brake lights
Reverse lights
Windshield wipers back and front
Door and light chime
Map and back seat door lights
Hicas light and over drive light (yes it's auto, no idc because I'm still in high school and it's my daily)
Radio and radio antenna (actually the stereo is broken but it still lights up and scans for stations but it just never plays anything)

Things that don't work.
Tach, speedo, all service lights on dash
Power windows. God help me cause my car has no AC and it's hot as hell out
Turn signals

I've done the sleepy eye mod where you pull out the popup lights button and snip the brown wire and put electrical tape on it, but something tells me that isn't the problem and it's been running fine with the sleepy eyes.

Please help, I've taken it to Nissan Service dept and the guy said he never heard anything like it and he said it'll cost $135 an hour an inspection.

jqn
08-19-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm going to take a stab in the dark, and since you didn't mention it in your post, have you checked your fuses?

JD_Stance
08-19-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm going to take a stab in the dark, and since you didn't mention it in your post, have you checked your fuses?

You're gonna laugh but I honestly wouldn't know what to look for at all by checking it. What should I look for?

jqn
08-19-2014, 08:59 PM
You're gonna laugh but I honestly wouldn't know what to look for at all by checking it. What should I look for?

I would check the fuse for Turn Signal and Electronics, but I would probe all of them with a multimeter just to be safe.

JD_Stance
08-21-2014, 12:21 AM
I just realized while driving it tonight that the Battery light is lit up on the dash. Obviously the battery life could have something to do with my problems, but the thing is, the dealer I bought it off said they put in a new battery. Do you guys think this could be battery related? Or not?

anti tyler
08-21-2014, 12:37 AM
I just realized while driving it tonight that the Battery light is lit up on the dash. Obviously the battery life could have something to do with my problems, but the thing is, the dealer I bought it off said they put in a new battery. Do you guys think this could be battery related? Or not?

Battery light is typical across the automotive board for an alternator failure.

Sometimes it ends up being the battery itself, sometimes the alternator being bad kills the batter with it. Take it to any local auto parts store and have them do a free charging system test. Make sure your charging system is good to go.

But first off. (this shouldn't be the case otherwise the car shouldn't start in most cases) Check the main fuse (75A alternator fuse located in the main fuse box) make sure that fuse isn't blown, or it would cause most of what you're describing.

If it's blown replace it and try not to drive while you wait for the new one. If you drive without a properly charging alternator you could kill a perfectly good battery.

If in the off case you need that fuse let me know, I've got a stockpile of them.

Otherwise like I said make sure your charging system isn't bad (alternator)

JD_Stance
08-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Battery light is typical across the automotive board for an alternator failure.

Sometimes it ends up being the battery itself, sometimes the alternator being bad kills the batter with it. Take it to any local auto parts store and have them do a free charging system test. Make sure your charging system is good to go.

But first off. (this shouldn't be the case otherwise the car shouldn't start in most cases) Check the main fuse (75A alternator fuse located in the main fuse box) make sure that fuse isn't blown, or it would cause most of what you're describing.

If it's blown replace it and try not to drive while you wait for the new one. If you drive without a properly charging alternator you could kill a perfectly good battery.

If in the off case you need that fuse let me know, I've got a stockpile of them.

Otherwise like I said make sure your charging system isn't bad (alternator)

Thanks! I tested the alternator and it says it's bad so I'll have to look at getting it replaced. I will however check that fuse that you said to check and see if it is blown. I'll let you know if I need it.