PDA

View Full Version : s13 hatchback Tranny Grind

zfortune
08-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Just bought a 91 s13 hatchback and the transmission grinds when shifting into 2nd and downshifting to 2nd gear. I even tried double clutching and it still grinds. I can shift into 2nd at very very low rpm and when I am just staying at a standstill it wont grind at all but other than that it's very grindy and hard to get into 2nd gear at higher rpms. All the other gears go in easily compared to 2nd gear. I just received my oem exedy clutch kit and going to buy amsoil gear oil locally. Do you guys think It might just be the synchro gear for 2nd?

zfortune
08-25-2014, 04:57 PM
bump + edited

Dboyizmlg
08-25-2014, 05:16 PM
Second gear synchro is bad.

Maybe thicker gear oil (might) help out, but you're synchro is no bueno.

zfortune
08-25-2014, 06:22 PM
okay I just did a test drive around the block a few times. I haven't driven the car since I bought it because I wanted to fix somethings and I have been way to busy to get it smog but can't do that tell I find stock air intake and also waiting for sticker replacement from AEM. But here is what I did, let the car warm up a bit then I drove it around. Going into 2nd from 1st at like 2.5k+rpms grinds but If I double clutch sometimes no grind at all. Now downshifting into 2nd gear grind like hell and it wont let me go in it. I tried double clutching and it worked a couple times and sometimes it was grinding.