PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel bolts sheared off,

drewfreer
08-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Hey guys I took off my tranny because it was vibrating violently and turns out my flywheel had come out. Everything came out with the tranny. I've read some forums and people say that you have to replace the crank, so that's basically what I'm wondering. I'd like to buy a new flywheel and hope that it won't happen again, but I'd just like to make sure. The spindle on my tranny doesn't look bent at all either... What are your thoughts on the course of actions I should take? Thanks

Rayne
08-08-2014, 08:58 PM
What exactly is the issue you are facing?

The title say one thing and the body of your posts says another thing.

angel mkiv
08-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Yeah I agree with the post above! Are the holes all messed up?can you thread bolts into them? Pictures would help also..but if the flywheel really fell off I'm sure the threads/bolt holes are effed up

drewfreer
08-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Sorry, so 3 of the bolts on my flywheel have broke right off, and the other three loosened off. The center of the flywheels a bit of an oval now. I'm wondering what may have caused this and if I was to put a new flywheel in do you think the same thing would happen? Would that have bent anything? The spindle on the tranny doesn't seem bent so that's good news

drewfreer
08-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Yeah there's 3 bolts stuck inside that I'm going to need to use an ez out on or something... When I put the flywheel on some time ago I didn't torque the bolts to 100ftp I just tightened them a lot so I mean that could be my first problem haha. My main concern now is wether or not that could have bent the crank

drewfreer
08-08-2014, 11:33 PM
And I havnt tried threading anything in there. I should have taken pictures before I left but I had to come back to work, was on my way up here and she went on me.

Dboyizmlg
08-09-2014, 12:30 AM
You're supposed to tighten the bolts in criss cross pattern, in about 3 stages of tq!
With the addition of using liquid thread lock, so the bolts don't back out.

It sounds to me that you are in a bad situation... You MIGHT get away with it if you put it back together correctly!
But, that's on you!
Disclaimer! I'm not responsible for what you decide to do!
You decide what best suites you. Or you can get another crank/motor.

drewfreer
08-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Aaalright thanks for your input!

Rayne
08-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Lets start with the sheared off bolt heads and remove the remaining stud.

If you don't already have a set of bolt extractors, buy a set. If you have a set of bolt extractors follow the directions to remove the remaining stud.

rebornS14
08-09-2014, 04:33 PM
sounds like he shouldnt be working on cars. i think best bet is to take it to a professional other than asking a bunch of zilvians for advice on something we cant see or know for sure.

anti tyler
08-09-2014, 04:46 PM
sounds like he shouldnt be working on cars. i think best bet is to take it to a professional other than asking a bunch of zilvians for advice on something we cant see or know for sure.

I don't think this is very helpful, if you're not going to try and help why waste posting and shitting up the forums.

Extract the remaining bolts, finger tighten the good bolts you have to determine if you've got crossed threads.

You've got to take this step by step. you could be lucky and just need to replace some bolts and follow the correct procedures in putting it all back together.

I think the big question is who was the last person to tinker with the flywheel?

Def
08-09-2014, 06:24 PM
I don't think this is very helpful, if you're not going to try and help why waste posting and shitting up the forums.

Extract the remaining bolts, finger tighten the good bolts you have to determine if you've got crossed threads.

You've got to take this step by step. you could be lucky and just need to replace some bolts and follow the correct procedures in putting it all back together.

I think the big question is who was the last person to tinker with the flywheel?

Read the thread dude - in post 5 he says he just "tightened the shit out of them." Hence why the damn flwheel fell off and he's in this situation.

Therefore, he really shouldn't be working on cars if he's going to be this stupid. The flywheel could have taken his legs off due to him being an idiot when installing it.

drewfreer
08-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Yeah... I didn't have a torque wrench and the time or lock tight and I wanted to get my engine in my car and going as quickly as possible... Whoops my mistake. Now fuck off if you don't have anything good to say

drewfreer
08-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Everybody else thanks for answering my strange question...

Dboyizmlg
08-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Here is a link to some thing that will aid you if you deceided to DIY.
It's from a honda civic but the idea is the same.

If I remember correctly the flywheel bolts tq spec is 101ftlb,
And clucth cover is between 25-32 ftlb tq.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zeo_Rm0O3gs

angel mkiv
08-12-2014, 12:54 AM
I'd just make sure your new not oval shaped flywheel can go back on and you can retorque the bolts to factory spec you should be fine as long as the crank/input shaft isn't damaged..but again pictures of all the damage would help us help you a lot better

kruked
08-13-2014, 07:37 AM
Yeah... I didn't have a torque wrench and the time or lock tight and I wanted to get my engine in my car and going as quickly as possible.

I seriously can't believe that I just read this fucking nonsense!

drewfreer
08-16-2014, 02:18 AM
God damnit alright I'm sorry for not doing it right... I have learnt from my mistake. Obviously. I needed to get up to work with her so I just threw everything together as fast as I could with what I had at the time. I'll do it right this time, and I'll let everyone know in a couple weeks how she drives for future reference. Sorry to bother you guys. Stupid mistake yes, but no reason to have a jammer over it, my problem not yours. You didn't have to answer

kruked
08-19-2014, 07:39 AM
was on my way up here and she went on me.

How is this relevant?