PDA

View Full Version : Silk Road vs Tein Coilovers

S14DB
07-03-2004, 12:19 AM
Fight!!! :D

Side note: For me I'm looking for a good DD/Street set up. The poll is just for an all out opinion war.

Salty_X
07-09-2004, 03:10 AM
Tein Flex. All day.

l33tmonkeyman
08-22-2004, 10:41 PM
why do you like the tien flex better than the silk road? i am currently in a mixup of which to get between those two

ch1873857
08-22-2004, 11:35 PM
silk road isnt better just because it super "JDM" and expensive at that. there maybe better aspects of the tein coilovers than the silk road. just my opinion

KiDyNomiTe
08-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Flex should not even be on that list. I have Silk Roads, and have driven on HEs, I personally prefer the Silk Roads. the whole 16 way thing is useless IMO 4-8 way is as much as you really need (as long as it varies well).

And then you have to add in the whole inverted front shocks thing. Also Silk Roads can go lower, and can dial in a whole lot more camber in the front.

Grip Gambler
08-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Flex should not even be on that list. I have Silk Roads, and have driven on HEs, I personally prefer the Silk Roads. the whole 16 way thing is useless IMO 4-8 way is as much as you really need (as long as it varies well).

And then you have to add in the whole inverted front shocks thing. Also Silk Roads can go lower, and can dial in a whole lot more camber in the front.

i drive on Silk Roads aswell and tottaly agree

MadScientist
08-23-2004, 10:41 AM
i drive on Silk Roads aswell and tottaly agree

:werd:

Super "JDM"??? They are both JDM... and they are both very large companies! If you came up with this theory because Tein has been in the Mainstreem longer, then you need to do mere research on who is Part Swaping in Japan (Secton=Silk Road=Tanabe=URAS=etc...)

You should have did the Comparison on the HE and RM/A8 Only!!
1. Flex is cheeper and was not designed the same. (Disqualified)
2. Both HE and RM/A8 have Inverted Dampers
3. Both have 8/6 or 8/7 Spring Rates (depending on S13 or S14)
4. HE has 16 way Dampening adjustment/ RM/A8 has 8 way Dampening adjustment.
5. Both Designed for Street/ Drift
6. Silk Road has beter internal valving components than Tien.
7. Silk Road has more Camber Adjustment
8. Silk Road has more Height/Lowering Adjustment
9. Tein HE is Gold/ RM/A8 is Silver (hehehe)

Brian W.
08-23-2004, 11:12 AM
ACTUALLY!.... the HE is NOT an inverted Monotube design its a twin montube design, however the Silkroad is inverted monotube and is worth every bit of its $1499 retail price.

Get the Silks!

KiDyNomiTe
08-23-2004, 11:21 AM
1300 from some places 5 business days at the most. And ya HEs arent inverted.

MadScientist
08-23-2004, 02:32 PM
1300 from some places 5 business days at the most. And ya HEs arent inverted.

My Bad... going off memory, not looking... getting old!
In that case you would be stupid not to get the Silk Road RM/A8!! Inverted is a Stronger Design, and gives better response.

$1499 is MSRP...

The ROMAN
09-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Slikroads have the advantage.
My Tien HE camber plates are maxed out and looks to be not even 3 degrees. Also they are making shitloads of noise, like constant sqeaking. If you can, I'd say get the Silkroads.

speeddreamz
09-24-2004, 05:28 PM
I go with the silkroads, Infact I have them on my car and have had tein HE's on my car too so I can directly compare the two. I'd say the HE's are a good bang for buck, i don't think theres anything out there that can beat it. But the silk road is a superior design, its more well built, it just looks beefier besides being an inverted design. I believe the height adjustability is better on the silk roads. In addition street driving is much superior compared to HE's, while still retaining good weekend warrior capability if not better.

Pm if you need a set, we can work on pricing.

If you need some pics I can do that too !

S14DB
09-24-2004, 06:52 PM
Back from the Dead! ROCK!!!

Ghst 01
09-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Well my boy go the silk roads and i got to see i like them... you can see the quality... and the price is not to bad.. if i did it again i would have gotten them over the HE's

S14DB
10-07-2004, 09:25 PM
I got the FLEX so:
http://www.fochkopf.com/images/forum/makotolock.jpg

TurK
10-11-2004, 12:21 PM
ahhh cant wait to get my Silkroads =D

chickenadobo
10-14-2004, 01:55 AM
Dude, I can't believe how much I like the Silk Roads! By far, the best suspension I have ridden on or expierenced with. The camber adjustment is great, both from the top and bottom which adds to a crazy amount of camber. Mine is slammed all the way in, handles nice too. And now too many dampening combinations, not like 32 way which is just over board, the RM/A8's 8 way adjustability is just right.

I bought mine from AutoRnD! Thanks Josh!

... its like driving on silky roads...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/chickenadobo/Silk%20Roads/silks01.jpg

ghostuss
11-16-2004, 03:46 PM
I got silkroad. I didn't like how to take the big bumps. I feels like I just CRASHED into the big bumps. Maybe the shock bottomed out... I dunno I didn't actually adjust the spring length so it's factory length so I doubt it would bottom out but who knows. Other than that, the ride quality is much better. A little more roll than my hks hipermax pro but the ride quality is also much better and better spring rate combo 8/7 rather than 10/7

mooboy
12-09-2004, 05:11 PM
I have the HEs on my s13 and they are SUPER comfortable compared to Flex and HAs i've had in the past. Those were different cars of course (s2k and rsx). Can't beat the price either.

l33tmonkeyman
12-16-2004, 11:28 PM
where have you found the silkroads for 1300??

struka
12-27-2004, 04:32 PM
thats what i wanna know. ive seen them for 1500. but not for 1300..and is that shipped?

l33tmonkeyman
12-27-2004, 09:10 PM
they used to be 1300, but now silkroad raised the prices. just found that out

d4vech3n
12-27-2004, 11:15 PM
I remember seeing them for around $1300 when dgtrials was the only dealer in the US. I went with GP Sports GR6 but if I didn't I'm sure I would of went for Silkroads. They look beefy, have inverted shocks, more camber than HEs, etc. The only thing that tempted me to even consider HEs was the cheap price. I think some people consider silkroads more JDM because I read somewhere that the some Tein coilovers were made especially for the US market.

darkdrifter
02-03-2005, 07:04 PM
I have the HEs in mine. I love them. They made it easy to change your settings and the ride is good. And it handles like a dream.

BlackZenkiS14
02-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Which one is more comfortable? i actualy care about daily driving comfort.

mr_240sx
02-15-2005, 12:55 PM
my vote is with the HE's!

s14slide
02-23-2005, 06:00 PM
since this has been resurrected, why hasn't anyone mentioned the new "super drift spec" C/O's by Tein. I haven't found a shock graph for it, but these new ones are supposed to be specifically tuned for drifting, specifically for each chassis, unlike the HE's which were pretty much slapped together w/ best guesses (that's what I remember reading anyway). I have HE's and I'm looking to get a new set of C/O's here soon. The left front is blown, and there's actually play between the shock body and the piston. Funny how the LF was the first to go on the GAB struts that were on there before.

vvtisupra
02-23-2005, 07:46 PM
haven't tried silk road but i have the he's and i ahve to say they are a simple design easy installation just dropped right in and i bet i can get way more than -3 camber with these plates anyways I got my tein he's for 950 brand new in the box and well I can say they were worth every penny

2JZGTE
04-13-2005, 07:38 AM
My silkroads are pretty damn nice I must say. As far as adjustment, they almost go too low for me. I had to raise them back up and adjust for a while to get it perfect.

Quality is top notch, but what do you expect for 1300+. I got mine for 1200 shipped on ebay, they were literally about 100 miles old. Front camber adjustment is more than you'll probably ever need, which is nice. My front tires are at about -2.5 camber right now.

DriftSpecial180
04-14-2005, 01:36 PM
The new super drifts aren't much different than the HE's. They are like a mixture of HE's and Flex. Retains the valving of the HE's, painted the same as Flex, and threw on harder spring rates...

As for the Silk Road repairs... I just called Silk Road USA. You have to ship your coilover(s) to silk road Japan for repair. Average turn around is 2 weeks. The place i'm buying my silk roads from has them on their race car, and they've been on for almost 2 yrs. All the track beatings and never had to be replaced. The reason Silk Road doesn't have a US factory is because they are hand built. The owner of silk road focuses primarily on quality. He doesn't trust anyone else to make or repair the coilovers besides his technicians. Hopefully soon they can send some rad japanese guys to the US to repair them.
I hope this helps...

dorifto-san4o8
08-25-2005, 12:15 AM
silkroads!!! excellent ride quality and still stiff.

redsuns3838
08-25-2005, 12:45 AM
i love MY silkroads on my S14. thick pistons. teins look small. spend extra 250 and be happy and get sumthing with quality. thats my opinion
\