PDA

View Full Version : I caught a craigslist scammer!

owned by pandas
06-18-2014, 06:45 AM
I posted the Z up there and not even 2 hours later I get a text message saying, hey email me at my personal email I am interested in your car but I am over seas and cant receive text messages.

So I email the person, "so you're interested in the car?"

Scammer replies back.
"Thanks for the mail. My name is Robin F Hodge, I am ready to buy this for my lovely son "Marcus" as a birthday gift for him, which i don't want him to know about and i am not in town at the moment because i work with the (USAF) as a Copter Pilot and have been in camp for some time also we are not allowed to make or receive calls frequently for security reasons but we have internet access and that is our major means of communication to the outside world. So can you assure me i will not be disappointed and do you have a PayPal account ? I have a Mover that will come for pickup once payment is cleared in your PayPal account and they will be handling the title for me.

Whats its condition, any damages? Can I see a few closely taken pictures? Are you the original owner and what is your reason for selling?

Looking forward to read back from you...""

I basically replied back, "Well the car is in good shape and the price is low just to get it gone. I do have a paypal but would rather deal with cash."

Scammer replies, "
Thanks for the mail. Am okay with your price and its condition and i do believe i wont be disappointed in buying this from you. Well it a very good idea to see what i want to buy for my self but am a very busy type i have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment. My private courier agent will come for the pick up and sign all necessary documents transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the hauler agent on my behalf also i would love to assure you that the van wont leave your side until the money is in your account and clears i will be patient with you as am an honest man and a man of my word so once all this is done then we can now both schedule the pickup time and date. I can only pay you through PayPal only and once the payment is sent you will receive notification and confirmation email from PayPal which will gives you instructions about how to get the money out from your PayPal account into your cards or bank account and i will be responsible for the PayPal charges as well... So kindly get back tome with this info requested below"

I replied, " Im not selling a van but ok. Good luck on finding your datsun I only deal with cash"

Then I got the urge to see where this person was. So after doing a email source check and ip locater guess where this son of a bitch is...Oh I sent this to the dude too, guess what never got a replie back. hahaha

Overseas? Right......Nice try though.

IP Address 72.156.80.76 Location https://snt147.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=uP0daZKKSs07Gjh6a7mxQiFUViq4rPBhN0muPHZhdgU %3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ip2location.com%2fimages%2ffl ags%2fus.png UNITED STATES, GEORGIA, STONE MOUNTAIN Latitude, Longitude 33.80816, -84.1702 (33°48'29"W -84°10'13"N) Connection through BELLSOUTH.NET INC. Local Time 18 Jun, 2014 01:20 AM (UTC -04:00) Net Speed DSL Area Code 678/770 IDD Code 1 ZIP Code 30083 Weather Station STONE MOUNTAIN (USGA0540) Mobile Country Code (MCC) - Mobile Network Code (MNC) - Carrier Name -

LEG1T
06-18-2014, 07:10 AM
Also send forward the fake paypal emails to [email protected] they have fraud investigation department waiting for low life people like this.

SMH hate scammers.

owned by pandas
06-18-2014, 07:20 AM
Also send forward the fake paypal emails to [email protected] they have fraud investigation department waiting for low life people like this.

SMH hate scammers.

Oh sweet I didnt know that will send that as well.

HORShi
06-18-2014, 07:20 AM
People is sick man, between scammers, and car thieves idk which one I despise more. It's a shame when honest, legit people that are here working for what they have in life and giving opportunities to others, whether it's helping others or providing some type of support. They get taken advantage of. Sick people man.

owned by pandas
06-18-2014, 07:23 AM
People is sick man, between scammers, and car thieves idk which one I despise more. It's a shame when honest, legit people that are here working for what they have in life and giving opportunities to others, whether it's helping others or providing some type of support. They get taken advantage of. Sick people man.

I couldn't agree more, I have been ripped off a couple of times before from people and I can't stand it. I sell parts all the time and I tell people straight up, if Im a little late with the shipping or something comes up I assure you I am not ripping you off. I hate it b/c I know what it feels like ya know.

BlewByYou
06-18-2014, 07:29 AM
So what happens after he sends money to your paypal?? I mean the money is yours you would think?

Kinda lost on the who use paypal but he is a scammer lol

OBEEWON
06-18-2014, 07:35 AM
He gets access to your paypal account. He sends an email that looks exactly like its from paypal saying the money is in your account but it will not be released till you provide tracking. Click on the link and your account is his. You ship the car and he empties your paypal and if its connected to your checking that too.

I get this every single time I sell something on C-List.

HORShi
06-18-2014, 08:08 AM
He gets access to your paypal account. He sends an email that looks exactly like its from paypal saying the money is in your account but it will not be released till you provide tracking. Click on the link and your account is his. You ship the car and he empties your paypal and if its connected to your checking that too.

When I was going to Ohio State (majoring in Computer Information Science) I use to know this guy who was "all about that drift life". He use to reside in one of rooms down the hall from me. A lot of parts for his SR20DET and other items concerning his S13 he would SPECIFICALLY go to forums like Zilvia, NicoClub and Craigslist to get his stuff. I was wondering how he was just acquiring shit and keeping it in the dorm rooms. I'm talking like Tomei Cams, 3 fucking Nismo GT 1.5/2 Way adjustable diffs, Takata Harnesses like damn where is you getting this shit from? Then he would flip it with prices that was cheaper than a boost phone on the daily unlimited plan. $350 for a LSD? a Nismo GT? Bullshit man. So I asked him straight up, cause I was curious. Then he told me about the IP/Email spoofing and E-payment only scamming (Paypal). I stop using Paypal's "Instant Transfer" function because of him. My Paypal account is ALWAYS $0, I started using strictly my debit card for online/private purchases so I can monitor all my $ that comes in and goes out. I barely use credit cards online because of this guy. I told him that shit is not cool at all man, and karma will get that ass.

95BoostedS14
06-18-2014, 08:17 AM
I've gotten these types of emails before as well when posting on CL. It is so annoying, just have to ignore them. I'm not as computer savvy as you OP, so I dont know how to track an IP address and all that but I can tell it is definitely a scammer. Makes me feel bad for those who actually fall for these peoples scams.

db_s13
06-18-2014, 08:49 AM
I have a dedicated checking account for my paypal at a different bank from all my other bank accounts.

It can be a pain in the ass putting money into whenever i want to purchase something but i wont get any of my non "car fund" money drained from a paypal scammer and i only put in as much money as it takes to make the purchase

owned by pandas
06-18-2014, 08:52 AM
All I know is people like this should be locked up. This happened to a friend of mine here in Ga and he knew the guy was a scammer. He was selling like 5k worth of rc cars(hes a rc hoarder haha), the guy sent the "money" and said that UPS or someone was going to come pick it up and that he would cover shipping. My friend put a shit ton of cinder blocks in the boxes and sent it to the guy hahaha. Fucking piece of shit deserved it.

owned by pandas
06-18-2014, 08:53 AM
I have a dedicated checking account for my paypal at a different bank from all my other bank accounts.

It can be a pain in the ass putting money into whenever i want to purchase something but i wont get any of my non "car fund" money drained from a paypal scammer and i only put in as much money as it takes to make the purchase

Thats smart, I do the same thing man. You gotta cover your ass.

owned by pandas
06-18-2014, 08:54 AM

Yep they do just this.

Bushido
06-18-2014, 09:50 AM
you should backtrace him, then report it to the cyber police before he done goofs on you

Nidd
06-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Yo HORSHi, if you knew the guy was a piece of shit, why didn't you turn his ass in? Scammers are going to keep at it till they get caught man.

owned by pandas
06-18-2014, 10:06 AM
you should backtrace him, then report it to the cyber police before he done goofs on you

I've never heard of a cyber police, do you have a link or anything?

spooled240
06-18-2014, 11:33 AM
I've done this before and found a couple of scammers in Kansas selling like-new motorcycles for stupid cheap. I've even dealt with a scammer trying to get me to wire transfer him over $2,000 before even looking at a house I was looking to rent, saying he'd refund the money if I didn't like it..god the people that fall for that must be comlete dumbasses.:duh:

SMH hate scammers.

hm, I didn't know there was anything that could be done with this since it is all speculation until you get scammed..

HORShi
06-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Yo HORSHi, if you knew the guy was a piece of shit, why didn't you turn his ass in? Scammers are going to keep at it till they get caught man.

Trust me man, I tried, because he would threaten to use other students including mines server logins so if he happened to be traced back, it would go directly to who was login at the time of the spoof attack. Unfortunately, his girl during the time, who was one of the daughters of one of the fiscal directors I believe, would take the money he made and have him transfer some to her account to make seem as if she was taking "freelance" jobs during school to pay for her basic needs, if she keep things under wraps. She was extremely wealthy and belong to one of the historical, influential business sororities on campus In fact, there is an article about the fraud was published when I was there at the time to our cities newspaper. I'm about to see if I can find the link for it.

rb25s13vert
06-18-2014, 12:03 PM
haha. i hate scammers. lol. if you havent seen www.419eater.com (http://www.419eater.com) check out that site. its a site dedicated to messing with nigerian scammers. it hilarious.

HORShi
06-18-2014, 12:55 PM
haha. i hate scammers. lol. if you havent seen www.419eater.com (http://www.419eater.com) check out that site. its a site dedicated to messing with nigerian scammers. it hilarious.

Lmao @ "Insect Specimen Scam" thread. Man, people really have scams for everything. Insect Specimens? Like for real? Wtf.

Almosttt
06-18-2014, 02:27 PM
I tried to sell a laptop on craigslist once... almost daily I would have the same scenario but with different stories trying to get me to ship it to Nigeria lol...

I don't know who falls for this stuff but apparently some people do because it keeps happening.

owned by pandas
06-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Lmao @ "Insect Specimen Scam" thread. Man, people really have scams for everything. Insect Specimens? Like for real? Wtf.

haha yea thats pretty bad bro.

owned by pandas
06-18-2014, 02:46 PM
I want to cut their Achilles tendons and hang them from my front door.

s0fa king
06-18-2014, 03:23 PM
copter pilot?! what fucking clown

plus this guy uses the word Paypal too much.

silviasandbeer
06-19-2014, 07:37 AM
appreciate you posting this
was thinking of setting up a pay pal soon and wouldnt have thought a scammer could get control of your account and empty your paypal

h2v7
06-19-2014, 08:13 AM
i want to find these people and rape in bumhole

instagram people wants to do a western union money flip you send them 500 and they turn it into 5000 super legit there sister works fot them and knows the system and how to work it

super legit style ima do itttttt

also you didnt catch him all you did was figure it out which took me all of 1 second after reading first three words

OutlawLui
06-19-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm trying to post something similar but zilvia is being weird

kk i was trying to sell a washer/dryer

i get a response email

"How was your day, will you be home tomorrow afternoon my wife will be coming to view it, set up a time and where she can meet you. chat with her now [email protected]
From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network."

..so i emailed his wife and now i got this

"Hello! let's do like this, actually now I'm not in town for now, I
came to visit my son so i wont be able to meet with you but am ok with
the condition as seen on the advert, I'll proceed in issuing a Check
out to you and when you received the check , I will make arrangement
for pick-up. So get back to me with below details asap.

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Postal Code:
Cell Phone Number:
Agreed price to sell :
once this is provided the payment will be overnight to you and i will
let you know when its mailed out. I need you to be honest with the
sale as I am a God fearing person. Thanks"

seems legit

what do you guys think lol

Nissansota240
06-19-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm trying to post something similar but zilvia is being weird

kk i was trying to sell a washer/dryer

i get a response email

"How was your day, will you be home tomorrow afternoon my wife will be coming to view it, set up a time and where she can meet you. chat with her now [email protected]
From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network."

..so i emailed his wife and now i got this

"Hello! let's do like this, actually now I'm not in town for now, I
came to visit my son so i wont be able to meet with you but am ok with
the condition as seen on the advert, I'll proceed in issuing a Check
out to you and when you received the check , I will make arrangement
for pick-up. So get back to me with below details asap.

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Postal Code:
Cell Phone Number:
Agreed price to sell :
once this is provided the payment will be overnight to you and i will
let you know when its mailed out. I need you to be honest with the
sale as I am a God fearing person. Thanks"

seems legit

what do you guys think lol

hahaha, yeah, its a scam, and if it isn't well to bad for them, maybe they shouldn't of sounded so sketchy

zombiewolf513
06-19-2014, 01:47 PM
When youre on an oversees station they route the NIPR internet through the united states. Phones too.