PDA

View Full Version : Jumper Cables On Backwards!!!

bruins1
05-30-2014, 02:01 AM
92s13, s13 blacktop SR, J4 type-X ecu re-pinned for s13. Everything is stock except for front mount intercooler, and exhaust system.

Okay so I already searched and found a few threads with this problem, however none really clearly stated a main fix. So yes my battery was dead, I brought out the car jumper and like a dumbass I put them on backwards. Got in the car turned the key ignition to on and my wipers and headlights turned on. Turned it off and went to check and realize what I did so I corrected the cables, but then car would crank but not start. I have never had a problem starting this car since it was finished till after this mistake. On the other threads problems were were fixed with different things. Either main fuse, igniter, or ECU. Tried changing out the igniter didn't work, all my fuses were good including my main fuse, so only thing left would be fried ECU based off of what corrected the problem for the other threads. So my question is, in theory if I just buy a working ECU and harness this should fix the problem?

If not I have run out of patience & might put up the car for sale. It took me 3 years to source out all the parts to build this car from the ground up including the SR which was rebuilt for use as my reliable daily. I drove it for 4 months with absolutely no problems, and made this stupid mistake and now its hell...

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) thanks in advance.

Sent from my LG- G2x using Tapatalk 2

fliprayzin240sx
05-30-2014, 03:23 AM
You sure the main fuse didnt fry? Even getting another ECU is dice roll since thats not what it could always be. Trying to jump your car with the cables backwards is one of the most nightmarish thing you could do to these cars since chasing the electrical gremlins that pops up is enough to drive a man insane. You're just gonna have to be patient and meticulous to fix it.

Driftwurks
05-30-2014, 03:25 AM
When you say all your fuses are good..did you just visually inspect them or did you test them with a multi-meter? The same thing happened with my friend's Lexus SC300 and it turned out to be his alternator fuse (120A). If you just visually checked your fuses, test them with a multi-meter to be on the safe side.

bruins1
06-01-2014, 05:52 PM
For sure thanks guys... ill go further into it.

anti tyler
06-01-2014, 06:25 PM
how did you manage to put the cables on backwards and leave them that way long enough to get into the car and try to start it...?

az_240
06-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Ouch, good luck man. I did this once like a dipshit when my battery died. It ended up frying the harness a bit, destroyed my alternator and iirc popped the main fuse. Fixed that stuff and has since ran good as new.

bruins1
06-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Anti tyler I was in a rush to get to work. LOL but trust me I ask my self the same question

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

bruins1
06-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Ouch, good luck man. I did this once like a dipshit when my battery died. It ended up frying the harness a bit, destroyed my alternator and iirc popped the main fuse. Fixed that stuff and has since ran good as new.

Aww man really? I really hope line didn't go that far... but we'll see... how did you figure out all the stuff went bad?

bruins1
06-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Anyone else have had this problem or know someone who has? What ended up being the culprit? I want to know as many possibilities for the problem that people have encountered as possible for when I get stuck... cause we all know it happens... thanks in advance

fliprayzin240sx
06-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Like I said, every situation can be different...popped fuses, fried ECU, fried relays, burnt wires, dead alternator, plus the combination of all these are possible. Nothing else would make me want to set my car on fire than electrical gremlins, I just dont have the patience for it.

Start with the simple stuff, check all your fuses (engine bay and kick panels), get a new battery, borrow somebody else's ECU (might not be the best idea if you have potential melted wires, you might zap that ECU too). Tear thru the engine harness to make sure all the wires are good if everything else is good to go.

bruins1
06-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Like I said, every situation can be different...popped fuses, fried ECU, fried relays, burnt wires, dead alternator, plus the combination of all these are possible. Nothing else would make me want to set my car on fire than electrical gremlins, I just dont have the patience for it.

Start with the simple stuff, check all your fuses (engine bay and kick panels), get a new battery, borrow somebody else's ECU (might not be the best idea if you have potential melted wires, you might zap that ECU too). Tear thru the engine harness to make sure all the wires are good if everything else is good to go.

Right on, :thumbup:well said thanks guys!

wawazat8402
06-10-2014, 03:08 AM
Or have someone else with a running car try your ecu. That way you can rule it out without taking a chance on smoking someone else's stuff.

bruins1
06-10-2014, 05:36 PM
OK guys update: I have fuel, I've tried switching out ignitors, Maf all my fuses are good except for one on the drivers side kick panel on the cover it says its for "ST. SIGNAL" is ST short for "start or starter signal? I also have no spark. However I am getting power to all injectors and coil packs. Anyone? Thanks:)

bruins1
06-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Bump anyone? I'm thinking of replacing the ECU & Harness, cuz I think I probably fried an ignition lead on the ecu & I don't know shit about fixing that... plus I have a J4 (typeX) ecu so the harness was pre- pinned to work with that ecu & when I opened up the harness a bit to check it out, it looked like hell with loose wires everywhere...