PDA

View Full Version : Steering Knuckles or "Steering Angle Adapter"

cmat1120
05-11-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm wondering which is a better option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/God-Speed-Steering-Angle-Adapter-Nissan-240SX-S13-S14-89-94-95-98-/360657741028

Or

http://www.silverminemotors.com/featured/240sx-high-angle-modified-steering-drift-knuckles-for-s13

Also could they be combined?(I'm guessing not)

Obviously theres a major price difference, but also which is better as far as ease of installation and reliability with the rest of the system? Currently the car is lowered on coilovers and has Megan Racing adjustable tie rod ends(obviously theres more, but thats all that I'm guessing could be relevant)

lalo167
05-11-2014, 03:58 PM
You need to do some more research before jumping into getting more angle. If you dont understand suspension geometry and how angle kits work then you shouldn't buy it. There's a thread on here where people do nothing but talk about angle modifications, check that out. To answer your question, the cheap Godspeed adapter will be a easier install but you'll get better results with the other one.

cmat1120
05-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Actually I have done plenty of research and for the most part understand what both options do(effectivley lengthen the rack, just in different ways).I just wasnt sure if one method was better than the other. I guess the main question I had was if I could have both? Id like to put the steering knuckles on, but need money for lots of other areas right now so the cheaper option might be better for me. Later when I want to put on knuckles will I need to remove the spacer?

connors13
05-12-2014, 10:44 PM
you can do both. there are a lot of ways to get more angle but to really get the full benefit of knuckles you need to change everything else.
the ways to gain steering angle are
-knuckles
-extended lowers (you can use s14 on s13 chassis and you gain 10mm) i extended my lowers 35mm, notched them and made a new adjustable bump stop but I'm making my own knuckles and moving my rack forward and shock mounting point farther out on the tower and completely changing everything to achieve maximum angle. i don't know what results you are looking for. 10 mm might be enough for you.
lengthening the tie rod- you can do spacers, or you can do longer tie rods. I'm running maxima tie rods, you can also use j30, and other nissan/ infinity rods. there is a thread about it somewhere on here.
rack relocation- this is more for correction for over centering and ackerman. if you get extreme with your angle you will need to worry about this and it can be achieved by modifying the crossmember where the rack mounts or the much easier option of getting the offset tie rod spacers
if you choose to do all of this you will have clearance issues depending on your wheel set up. this can be fixed by lower offsets, spacers, wheel tubs or cutting out oem wheel tubs, aftermarket sway bars and aftermarket tension rods that are bent for wheel clearance.
if you are on a budget and don't have ways to fabricate and not planning on anything crazy buy those knuckles, the spacers, and extended lower control arms. you can do without the control arms but they will make a big difference. everything you change with steering angle effects something else.

05-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Get both, just buy some $10 rack spacers to go with the knuckle kit.
Then get an alignment done and do skids.

cmat1120
05-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Haha thanks for the responses guys. So I went ahead and installed one of those spacers(didn't install the little one though) and the difference is awesome. Full u turns on a 2 lane road is fun lol. But the one issue is I'm not sure I'm quite able to get the full toe adjustment with my current setup. I have both tie rods in almost all the way and one is still a little toed in. I ended up just making it so at center one is a little more out and one is a little more in so that they drive straight until I get the alignment, but I'd like to have more adjustment room. Is the solution longer LCAs? That makes sense to me, but I could be wrong.

connors13
05-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Haha thanks for the responses guys. So I went ahead and installed one of those spacers(didn't install the little one though) and the difference is awesome. Full u turns on a 2 lane road is fun lol. But the one issue is I'm not sure I'm quite able to get the full toe adjustment with my current setup. I have both tie rods in almost all the way and one is still a little toed in. I ended up just making it so at center one is a little more out and one is a little more in so that they drive straight until I get the alignment, but I'd like to have more adjustment room. Is the solution longer LCAs? That makes sense to me, but I could be wrong.

Yes longer control arms. Knuckles should help too

badass8
05-16-2014, 01:45 AM
Here is an example of my setup:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii131/pballa88/AF24312A-BA00-4747-8B79-0CF9B60F92CA_zpsxhy9ad33.jpg (http://s263.photobucket.com/user/pballa88/media/AF24312A-BA00-4747-8B79-0CF9B60F92CA_zpsxhy9ad33.jpg.html)

-modded knuckles
-bolt on spacer
-s14 lca's (still need to extend them for max angle)
-tein inners
-s14 outers
-30mm wheel spacers