PDA

View Full Version : I have a question for the Texas folk

2_Liter_Turbo
05-09-2014, 07:55 PM
So, looking into moving to TX within a year or so (maybe a few months). One of my good friends and my brother live there and love it; and I'm getting tired of the north west, ha ha. Anyways, I've been looking into the emissions laws, but the state website on the matter is kind of vague, so I was wondering if some locals can chime in. My first choice is to move to the San Antonio or Austin area with Dallas being a backup (depends on work availability). I have OBD-II cars that don't have OBD-II motors, ha ha. No emissions at all where I live now, so I never had to worry about it. But I really would rather not have to worry about selling any of them. Do the emissions testers need to plug into the ports, is it just a sniffer test, are there visual engine bay checks? Hoping it's not too bad! Any feedback from people in those areas would be greatly appreciated!

Agent S14
05-09-2014, 07:58 PM
all major cities require you plug obd 2 cars to the machines if yours does not work you fail. there are small counties where its different all they do is check safety. Id suggest you ask your friends if they know any inpectors who will "pass" your car.

2_Liter_Turbo
05-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the input. So if I wire in resistors for the egr would I be ok, or do they do a visual as well? That would work for my G20 VE, but I'm screwed with the S14, lol.

indomiekid1
05-14-2014, 12:15 PM
its hard in texas, depends on the county, im in austin, and its way hard.
btw sr in s14.
but texas is awesome.

feito
05-14-2014, 01:02 PM
San antonio, bexar county here. No plugging anything required. Some places wont even pop ur hood or check ur cat.

2_Liter_Turbo
05-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Cool, thanks for the input guys. I've been leaning toward San Antonio, or maybe a town between SA and Austin, but it all depends on what job opportunity I can land in the end, ha ha.