PDA

View Full Version : Gas Pedal loose

acslater9
05-02-2014, 09:08 AM
I started a thread a couple of days ago about the gas pedals plastic piece was broken, but I do not think that is the problem.

When I push my gas pedal all the way down the cable slowly returns back to its position. I literally tightened the crap out of the throttle cable yet it still does the same issue.

Also, if the cable is not in the correct position when I start the car it raises in RPMs like crazy.

Any idea what's going on? Any suggestions is appreciated, Thanks.

Rayne
05-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Are any of the bolts holding the gas pedal to the firewall loose?

acslater9
05-03-2014, 06:42 AM
Are any of the bolts holding the gas pedal to the firewall loose?

Nope none. I have gone under to check the pedal countless of times and there is nothing holding anything back.

Once I push the pedal the cable is slowly retracting back to its original place. I'm going to check the throttle chamber soon. Hopefully I get an answer.

Scratchoz
05-03-2014, 11:35 AM
I had a problem where mine would idle high...I would check the return spring.

acslater9
05-03-2014, 04:29 PM
I had a problem where mine would idle high...I would check the return spring.

Dude that is exactly what is happening when I start the car! I get high idles somewhere around 1-2k rpms.

Where is the return spring located? Thanks

acslater9
05-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Well I decided to get a new throttle body cable and install it to see if it fixed the problem and nothing. The problem still exist.

I removed the intake piping and it looks like the throttle body is not closing fully. Any suggestions? Thanks.

e1_griego
05-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Is the throttle pulley bent?

It's probably the throttle body itself that's got a problem, or the spring on it.

acslater9
05-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Is the throttle pulley bent?

It's probably the throttle body itself that's got a problem, or the spring on it.

Nope the throttle pulley is not bent. When I pull the pulley back it goes down by itself but the throttle body is not closing all the way. When I physically push it down then the throttle body is closed.

I was actually thinking about the spring also. Any possible way to fix it? Honestly I was looking at it and it looks like it will be a bitch to remove/replace.

e1_griego
05-07-2014, 04:02 PM
it's 4 bolts to replace the throttle body.

kruked
05-08-2014, 05:16 AM
Take a picture of how you have the cable routed. I'm wondering if you have a tight squeeze on it somewhere. I know that clamp on the fire wall right at the top, and behind the valve cover, if you have the cable in there and the clamp is too tight, the cable will have a slow response time returning back to its normal position.

Rayne
05-08-2014, 05:23 AM
Dude that is exactly what is happening when I start the car! I get high idles somewhere around 1-2k rpms.

Where is the return spring located? Thanks

The return spring is part of the gas pedal assembly. Look at the Factory Service Manual for a picture.

Rayne
05-08-2014, 05:44 AM
Nope the throttle pulley is not bent. When I pull the pulley back it goes down by itself but the throttle body is not closing all the way. When I physically push it down then the throttle body is closed.

I was actually thinking about the spring also. Any possible way to fix it? Honestly I was looking at it and it looks like it will be a bitch to remove/replace.

Clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush.