PDA

View Full Version : ebrake won't lockup.

cmat1120
04-21-2014, 04:55 PM
So I know this has been discussed a lot and I've read a lot of the posts and they usually say either adjust the handbrake or change the brakes.

I have 2 brand new rear calipers, some cheap duralast brake pads and I have adjusted the handbrake. I was under the impression that cheap pads should work fine for locking up, but will fade quickly which I don't care about. what should I try out now? I might be open to a hydrobrake eventually, but I'd like to get the stock handbrake to lock up if I can.

cmat1120
04-22-2014, 12:05 PM
so im guessing my cables are just stretched out too much or something. Anyways I'm thinking about going hydraulic, but I have a question. I've seen it both ways: line from MC to hydro to rear line and I've seen ones where it goes rear line to hydro back to rear line. The second option sounds easier and cheaper(and easier to undo to me, but is there any advantage to going straight from the MC? Also what are the potential issues of using a hydro brake as a parking brake occasionally if im thinking about removing the standard parking brake.(I'd usually just leave it in gear)

Thanks.

Rayne
04-22-2014, 08:04 PM
You need the factory service manual.

cmat1120
04-22-2014, 08:06 PM
I have the factory service manual. Oddly enough it doesn't have much information on hydraulic handbrakes...

FaLKoN240
04-23-2014, 12:10 AM
You can't use a hydro as a reliable handbrake. It's not recommended.

jr_ss
04-23-2014, 05:27 AM
I have the factory service manual. Oddly enough it doesn't have much information on hydraulic handbrakes...

If course it doesn't have anything on hydraulic e-brakes, it's a FACTORY service manual. He recommended it so you can trouble shoot your non-locking e-brake. Replace your cables and call it a day. Hydraulic e-brakes are for track cars only.