PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Grinding noise

1jzjoey
04-16-2014, 05:34 PM
I have a HORRIBLE grinding noise when i let off the gas in my s14 (motor is ka24de)

it will do it in neutral parked or going down the road in any gear whenever i let off the gas.

if i keep the rpms below 2k it doesnt seem to do it? or i cant hear it as well

HELP PLEASE

ZCyjLC6lcA8

1jzjoey
04-16-2014, 06:49 PM
sounds like it might be coming from my clutch/flywheel

1jzjoey
04-16-2014, 07:50 PM
ok from what ive been reading it sounds like it could be either the lower timing chain guide or loose flywheel bolts.

if a lower timing chain guide broke wouldnt my timing start to go to shit?

jr_ss
04-16-2014, 07:59 PM
That's a strange noise you have there. I haven't the slightest clue as to what it could be. Please post up what you find.

Arrowking
04-16-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm curious, does it make the noise when revving the engine high under no load?

1jzjoey
04-16-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm curious, does it make the noise when revving the engine high under no load?

yes, it does it in neutral or in gear. It only makes the noise after i let off the throttle. or its very slight when idling

Om1kron
04-16-2014, 11:34 PM
can't really help here, you either need to take off the valve cover and look down to make sure all the guides are there. possibly drop your oil pan to make sure there isn't a bunch of metal in there. and if those two are cool then you need to drop the transmission. Especially if the car is able to go into gear.

Arrowking
04-17-2014, 06:28 AM
can't really help here, you either need to take off the valve cover and look down to make sure all the guides are there. possibly drop your oil pan to make sure there isn't a bunch of metal in there. and if those two are cool then you need to drop the transmission. Especially if the car is able to go into gear.

^This is what I'd do.

1jzjoey
04-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Ok i have drained the oil no metal shaving or anything in it, i took the valve cover off and looked at the upper timing guides and they look good. Cant see the bottom ones.

are you saying i should drop the tranny if my car IS able to go into gear or its probably not the issue if im able to go into gear. my flywheel doesnt wiggle or anything but maybe it could be 1 or 2 loose bolts clanking around? idk from the video you posted that sounds like what mines doing

h-UO0yvYjIk

kpnasty
04-17-2014, 11:30 AM
probably coming from the front of the engine, try to get a closer look at the timing chain and guides. dont pull your trans cuz it still does it in neutral, obvious sign that points away from the trans.

1jzjoey
04-17-2014, 11:47 AM
probably coming from the front of the engine, try to get a closer look at the timing chain and guides. dont pull your trans cuz it still does it in neutral, obvious sign that points away from the trans.

Well i figured its not the tranny but the flywheel bolts hitting something, but then again my tranny does shift smooth so youd think there would be some resistance when trying to shift or pushing the clutch in i guess i have to take the front cover off and re-time with my distributer

1jzjoey
04-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Ok upon further inspection when turning the engine over by hand i hear a clunk, at first i thought it was a piston on something, then i went under my car to the flywheel and i could wiggle the flywheel ever so slightly with my thumb and it sounds like the clunking is coming from there as well.

so heres what i heard at first and it sounded like it was coming from the engine.
ID3qKQeZ5Bg

and heres the video of what it sounds like closer to the flywheel ( kind of hard to see or hear it
3BtFEOehbiM

zombiewolf513
04-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Maybe you lost a thrust bearing?

1jzjoey
04-17-2014, 02:26 PM
well my fly wheel bolts were definitely loose
eo3FFG7X1yc

also is this normal?
Mc94hg5UgZo

Om1kron
04-17-2014, 03:23 PM
buy new flywheel bolts and clutch bolts while you're at it, also if you can buy an spl clutch pivot ball. Most embarrassing part I've had fail on me, and was the most fucking expensive repair bill ever since I had no garage to tow the car to after I moved. 450 dollars for someone to slide the case off, stick a 14 wrench in there, remove the broken one, put on a new one. Probably took 30 minutes to do. So pissed. Not to mention the amount of money spent on towing.

second video, yes that's normal.

jr_ss
04-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Use some blue loctite on NEW flywheel bolts. Just so you know, they are torque to yield bolts and should not be reused.

1jzjoey
04-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Thank you everyone, I put blue loctite on the new bolts

kruked
04-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Would've been a bad day for you if you would've ignored the sound and kept on driving.