PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering "Kicks In" at 3k RPMs and Whines?

240obsessed
04-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Hey guys, so I currently own a 1990 SR swapped hatch. The power steering is acting odd because it feels like it kicks in and becomes hyper-sensitive at 3k RPMs and which point it also whines like crazy. Any lower than 3k it feels mostly fine except when moving very slow it almost feels like it isn't on at all. If I rev it a little you can feel the steering get better.

It feels like as the RPMs increase, the pump functions more. Up to the point where it feels like its over functioning and the steering is too light and sensitive. When it "kicks on" at 3 it whines. It will continue to whine until the RPMs drop back down.

I'm assuming new pump but I'd like to verify before buying one. Thanks.

Rayne
04-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Is the power steering system low on Automatic Transmission Fluid (Dexron 3).

240obsessed
04-16-2014, 04:46 AM
Is the power steering system low on Automatic Transmission Fluid (Dexron 3).

No sir it's full. I'm leaning toward it being a problem with the bypass valve in the pump.

Rayne
04-19-2014, 08:42 PM
Get a new pump.

oztistic
04-19-2014, 08:55 PM
check for leaks, air gets into the system thro areas that are leaking which will cause a whine like what you could be hearing....if no leaks, your pump is shot.

we can rule out your rack being bad bc more times than none when the rack fails you'll have power one way and not the other and its always possible the rack could be leaking internally leaking out thro your tie rod boots.

scbarr89
04-21-2014, 07:31 PM
I had a similar problem not long ago. I thought my pump was going up or had a leak. I found the adjustment nut fell off and lost tension. The belt wouldn't catch in low rpms. I know it sounds stupid but it's the little things that seem to cauls the worst problems.