PDA

View Full Version : 1990 240 motor swap to sr20det and auto to manual

DriftDream1
04-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Hey i might get a lot of crap for this post I'm not sure but here it goes. New to this site, new to drifting, new to drift cars period. I have always been into to cars but mostly just did cosmetics stuff to them for some reason and never to much performance or anything but id like to change that. i have done motor and tranny work before and have somewhat of a mechanical background. All that is besides the point though. heres what I'm thinking of doing. Around where i live there are not to many 240's for sale except automatics with way to many miles on them and its nothing but rust and over priced. Although i recently found a 1990 240sx for very cheap. dang near perfect body inside and out, motor condition unknown besides 132,xxx on it, and its automatic. i have read you can do a 5 speed conversion on these which is why I'm not scared of it being automatic and it costs possibly around 700 to do yourself which is ok with me. I have also found out that sr20det motors are pretty easy to swap as well. i found a website that sells motor and 5 speed tranny together for about 2,400. would it honestly be worth my time and effort to do the motor swap and tranny conversion at the same time? has anyone else done this before and could possibly give me any advice? any good/bad about the sr20 or if its even worth it? i would just like to find out anything and everything i can about the project I'm wanting to do. i don't mind putting in a lot of time into this what so ever. just would like any info or advice on any of this ... please and thanks for your time

eek
04-09-2014, 09:28 PM
I don't know how I read though all that but I did. Next time structure it so it is a lot easier to read. All of your answers can be found if you spent like 5-10 min poking around here or google.

YES it is easier doing the 5sp swap when your doing any swap. This way you don't have to source a KA 5sp tranny, clutch, ecu etc. Why waste $ on all the 5sp KA shit when your going to do a SR20 swap anyhow?

IF your doing a SR swap, you will need the cluster out of a S13 DOHC (91-93), a clutch pedal out of any year S13 (along with a clutch slave and the line), 5sp drive shaft, power steering res from a DOHC s13 or a s14 will work and probably a few more tid bits I'm forgetting. All that info can be found online if you search its there and been covered TONS of time. The hardest part of the swap is taking the time to punch/cut out the hole for the clutch pedal. Everything else is cake plug and play.

I'm not going to answer the questions if the SR20 is good or bad. You should be able to find out if it is the right choice for you. A lot of people rock it, its not perfect but it gets the job done. Every motor is going to have its pos and neg. Just depends on how much $ you want to throw at it. There are ALOT of engine choices for the S-chassis, just depends again, what do you want out of it (ie hp, tq,) and how much $$$ you want to throw at it to get it there.

Literally tho you can pretty much put just about any rwd motor in the s-chassis. Anything popular has already probably been done. Google is your friend, learn how to use it or like most you will end up frustrated and crying when no one wants to help you.