PDA

View Full Version : Question on recharging the AC

CreAziaN
06-17-2004, 04:04 AM
How is this done? Mine just blows out air, it's not even cold. My old S14 blew out the coldest air I've ever felt from AC.

How hard is it and how do I recharge the AC? Can it be done at home or should I let a professional do it? Thanks in advance :eek3d:

WhiteNissanS13
06-17-2004, 04:15 AM
professional.

kandyflip445
06-17-2004, 04:28 AM
They sell kits at Wal-Mart. If you have an old type of refrigerant then you should take it to a shop to be converted so as to not release it in the air(releasing the wal-mart stuff isn't good either though).

DamnedButDetermined
06-17-2004, 05:12 AM
You need to get the old refrigerant recovered (which in your case isn't alot, b/c you compressor isn't cycling) at a shop. Then you need to either have them or a yourself put the entire system in a vacuum for at least 30minutes to remove the moisture and air from the system. Then with the system in a vacuum put in some UV dye, and recharge the system w/ refrigerant. Drive around for a day then take a blacklight and UV glasses and look over the entire system (lines, compressor, condenssor, evaporator) and look for leaks. If you cannot find any (which would make no sense, b/c if your compressor isn't cycling it is either due to an electrical problem[not very likely] or a lack of refrigerant[which is from a leak]) then you are good to go.

When you find the leak, recover the refrigeant, replace the leaking part, also replace the reciever drier (b/c it will be completely full of moisture [which is a very bad thing]) and put the system back into a vacuum for at least 30 minutes ( I like to recharge, recover and vacuum at least three times whenever I open up the a/c system to make sure i get all of the air out) then recharge the syetm with the proper amount of refrigerant and you are finished.

CreAziaN
06-17-2004, 11:47 AM
wow, that seems like a lot of work :wtc:

AceInHole
06-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Just use a walmart/ pepboys/ autozone kit. Worked for me.