PDA

View Full Version : 95' 240sx No crank, no start

DG's addiction
04-06-2014, 07:51 PM
I need help solving a new problem with my project car. I have a 95' 240sx with a SR20DET motor thats been running fine for the past two years. A couple of weeks ago i was running hard on the highway when my governor kicked in and i was close to overheating. No big deal, but after i stopped at a gas station and tried to restart the car, all i got was lights on the dash with no crank or start. I got a friend to push start me and drove home. Since then, the car will not start or crank.

So far i replaced the starter, checked all the fuses, check all the grounds, replaced the ignition switch(in the steering column), replaced the starter motor relay, charged and checked the volts on my battery, and even replaced the clutch neutral solenoid. After all that, the car still will not start. All i get is one clicking noise in the cab when i go to start it.

The only clue i have is that i checked to see if the starter hot wire is getting volts and it is. But the starter signal wire on the solenoid is not. I'm at a lost for troubleshooting and i don't won't to limp it to an aftermarket shop just to have them tell me it was a simple fix yet charge me an arm and leg.

Anybody got any ideas..?

Rayne
04-08-2014, 04:35 AM
Do you have the factory service manual?

DG's addiction
04-08-2014, 08:10 PM
I don't have original but i downloaded an altered copy from 240motoring. I will download the one you recommended to compare. thanks

SaltyS14
04-09-2014, 03:55 AM
check if you poped the difusible link... but you need to get a wiring diagram and trace it out and use a multimeter to see where you lose continuity... its in has to be in the control circuit... i had a similar problem in my supra a few years ago and it was the difusible link

blkvrtswp
04-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Double and triple check all your grounds.

cmat1120
04-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Have you tried jumping the signal wire after the relay? (My knowledge is based on s13 wiring so hopefully its similar)

20thbryce
04-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Check the 100a fuse, it's
One of the big ones, happened to me and I would have to pop start it to drive it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DG's addiction
04-20-2014, 04:57 PM
After reading the downloadable factory manual i came up with two conclusions. It could be a fusible link that i missed or some kind of "magnetic switch," what ever that is? The manual also mention something about the theft warning system kicking in, but i don't see that being a problem if i haven't swapped out the key switch ignition module.

cmat1120
04-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Do you have a multimeter? If I were you I'd just set one to ohms and check for continuity on that solenoid signal wire until you have a break or find something else. I just recently had a similar issue and it turned out i had just knocked out the wire from a clutch bypass(previous owner did it, not me) and chances are yours will be something simple too. The wiring system of rthe starter is actually pretty simple. IIRC it goes battery->key->clutch->relay->solenoid(yours may vary slightly since mine is an s13) You said this happened after overheating so it's possible that a connector or wire could have been screwed up by that.

I found this diagram that is supposedly for a 95 240sx, see if it helps at all.

AWD260R
04-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Have you checked the clutch safety switch, reason I say this is the rubber grommet which pushed on the switch pin was gone on the car I bought. The person whom owned my 240 before me went through everything trying to fix the starting issue, similar to you problem he ended up rigging a push button (dangerously setup) and it ended up with me figuring out the grommet had deteriorated and was not hitting the switch pin. ($3 fix). If you're not sure which one I'm speaking of, jump under the pedals and trace the clutch pedal up, there is a metal tab that should hold/have a rubber grommet on it that contacts when pressed down, you should be able to tell if bad or eliminate this from possibility of it being the issue. GL