PDA

View Full Version : 96 S14 Power Door Lock Conversion

RubyS14
04-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Hello all!

I have been lurking around here for a little while trying to get back into the swing of forums. If I posted this in the wrong section, will a Mod please move this thread to the appropriate one? :)

Alrighty, so I recently purchased my first vehicle (yay!) and its a 1996 S14 Base. I find that the manual locks are quite annoying to deal with, especially with passengers. I'm not concerned with what weight may be added. Its going to be a daily driver and eventually a powerful beast. I plan to keep all creature comforts and full interior.

That being said, I am in over my head a little bit. I'm not too familiar with electrical stuff, but anything else is not an issue. I purchased the trim for the power door locks (Master Power Window Switch and Passenger as well) and I have the Power Lock Actuators. I popped open the passenger door panel and what do you know, I don't have wiring for the switch. The driver side hooked right in. Is a new harness needed for the power locks to be functional? Is the main harness going to need any sort of modification to accommodate the power locks, or is it just plug and play? Am I missing anything or not understanding anything at this point?

Thanks for your input!

eek
04-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Its going to be a whole lot easier just getting some nice aftermarket door actuators and wire them up to your alarm that you will probably want to install in the very near future. If you want the oem route you will need all the guts from a se/le door with harness. (Prob easier just to unplug the harness and swap doors at that point) Even after that you will need the oem relays for the door locks.

RubyS14
04-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Its going to be a whole lot easier just getting some nice aftermarket door actuators and wire them up to your alarm that you will probably want to install in the very near future. If you want the oem route you will need all the guts from a se/le door with harness. (Prob easier just to unplug the harness and swap doors at that point) Even after that you will need the oem relays for the door locks.

Thank you for your reply eek. Sorry my late response. Work is quite draining. Anyway, if I chose to ditch the OEM parts, how easily would aftermarket actuators wire up to the OEM switch and such? Would it be easier for a car audio business to do the work since I will get an alarm eventually? Along with sound goodies :D

eek
04-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Its not hard at all. There are tons of write ups on google how to wire up door actuators. Wire it up when you buy an alarm. If you get a shop to install your alarm, you can buy the actuators from them and have them install it at the same time.