PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding SR starter

GL Chrillz
03-16-2014, 10:03 AM
I've been trying to research this the past two days, but everyone on all the forums is from 2005-2007. not that this info should have changed, but i can't seem to get this sorted out.

my starter went out on my s13 sr, so i went to the auto parts store, got an 89 ka-e starter and swapped the solenoid. supposedly, the body is supposed to just bolt right up according to all these posts, but they are nothing a like. is this supposed to just bolt up? does the sentra starter work at all? i dont even think the solenoid on this brand new starter is good either, because if i jump it it doesnt pop the bindix out at all. and if the solenoid is on my sr starter, it pops it out about 75% but doesnt retract it.

ultimateirving
03-16-2014, 04:24 PM
I've been trying to research this the past two days, but everyone on all the forums is from 2005-2007. not that this info should have changed, but i can't seem to get this sorted out.

my starter went out on my s13 sr, so i went to the auto parts store, got an 89 ka-e starter and swapped the solenoid. supposedly, the body is supposed to just bolt right up according to all these posts, but they are nothing a like. is this supposed to just bolt up? does the sentra starter work at all? i dont even think the solenoid on this brand new starter is good either, because if i jump it it doesnt pop the bindix out at all. and if the solenoid is on my sr starter, it pops it out about 75% but doesnt retract it.
I thought you had to pull the guts out of the KA starter and put them in SR starter in order for to work

GL Chrillz
03-16-2014, 06:51 PM
I thought you had to pull the guts out of the KA starter and put them in SR starter in order for to work

i had them both completely torn down, and nothing was the same as far as i could tell. not even the brushes were the same size to swap those...

slideways2004
03-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Just take it to a place that rebuilds them and let them do it. Cost about $100 and they will make it like new.

They do spray paint it tho

sleepyS14se
03-17-2014, 08:59 AM
^ i tried 3 different starter/alternator rebuilding locations and none were able to do it. I bought a hitachi starter off ebay and i used parts off it to rebuild my sr20 starter

GL Chrillz
03-17-2014, 09:15 AM
^ i tried 3 different starter/alternator rebuilding locations and none were able to do it. I bought a hitachi starter off ebay and i used parts off it to rebuild my sr20 starter

what parts did you use? i have the hitachi starter i picked up from an 89 ka24e from the local parts store, and the solenoid bolted right up, but everything else looks completely different. even the plate the brushes are screwed to, and even the brushes are different sizes...i may have to return the starter anyways, because it doesn't pop the bindix out on the brand new starter

GL Chrillz
03-19-2014, 09:41 AM
nobody has any insight? going to go back and get a new starter from the parts store with a working solenoid. can post pics when i tear it apart.

silnv
03-19-2014, 09:45 AM
I think a few companies make aftermarket replacement starters, unless you really just want to do the rebuild.

sleepyS14se
03-19-2014, 10:27 AM
i did it because i did not know mishimoto sold brand new ones for 200$

just buy one man...thats what i should have done in the first place.

GL Chrillz
03-20-2014, 12:54 PM
i did it because i did not know mishimoto sold brand new ones for 200$

just buy one man...thats what i should have done in the first place.

i was really hoping to save the money because funds are tight right now, and i have other stuff i need to buy to get her running soon. but looks like ill have to suck it up and buy one

di-devol
03-20-2014, 01:12 PM
You are missing the golden piece of info.

It has to be a Hitachi ka-e starter.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/sohc-ka-starter-and-alternator-on-sr-t202517.html

I do it all the time.

Enjoy.

GL Chrillz
03-20-2014, 05:08 PM
You are missing the golden piece of info.

It has to be a Hitachi ka-e starter.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/sohc-ka-starter-and-alternator-on-sr-t202517.html

I do it all the time.

Enjoy.

the little thing zip tied to the starter i bought says hitachi on it, and the heads and body are not even close to the same size. the ka starter is longer/wider

240pimp
03-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Ya, just buy one. Not worth the trouble, you can get them on ebay or enjuku. Sorry to hear about alll the stuff you went through before figuring out that a replacement was needed

The starter is 20 years old, shit happens to 20 year old stuff