PDA

View Full Version : Auto to manual help!!!!

Mchbrad
03-13-2014, 09:34 PM
I know I know this is a stupid question but I can't find a straight answer. I'm doing an auto to manual conversion on my ka24de are the pilot bushing different or the same from auto to stick?

humilde_s13
03-13-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm going to say same. Didn't remember changing it when I did my swap.

blackrms13
03-13-2014, 10:32 PM
^ stop spreading false info if you don't know

they are different

auto is some kind of carbon steel
manual is brass

zerodameaon
03-14-2014, 01:16 AM
You MUST switch to a manual pilot bearing, if you do not you will hate life and curse humilde_s13 for spreading bad info when shit doesn't work right and you have to pull the trans again. I have been down that road with friends who just forgot to switch it and it is not fun.

kruked
03-14-2014, 08:44 AM
They are also shaped differently. If I'm not mistaking, I don't believe that the manual trans shaft will penetrate the auto pilot bushing.

Mchbrad
03-15-2014, 05:10 AM
Ok thanks guys any idea where I can get a new one from?

kruked
03-15-2014, 05:13 AM
Nearly any auto part store. It's been a while but the bushing should be somewhere around $10.

blackrms13
03-15-2014, 10:43 AM
dealer has it too

TwistnItSideways
03-15-2014, 11:04 AM
They are different.
Auto
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/SoSoLow/IMG_1931.jpg

http://www.tune2win.com/_useruploads/images/diy-tech/SR20swap/sr03.jpg
Manual

the auto Pb is a PIA to pull i just did my swap and took me 5 days with the puller and it actually broke my puller so i had to take my car to get it dremeled out. If you have some PB blaster or something of that sorts it would make things easier. But it is absolutely necessary to pull

Also if you got a new clutch kit from your local auto parts store it should've came with a new pilot bushing and throwout bearing.
Its also recommended to swap the throwout bearing. If not you'll end up like me having a terrible rattle and having to repull the transmission out to change it. NEW is always better then USED

kruked
03-15-2014, 11:17 AM
dealer has it too

...yea, probably for double the price than your regular parts store.

the auto Pb is a PIA to pull i just did my swap and took me 5 days with the puller and it actually broke my puller so i had to take my car to get it dremeled out. If you have some PB blaster or something of that sorts it would make things easier. But it is absolutely necessary to pull.

I tried the correct tool and it was very difficult. I gave up after nearly 20 minutes and tried a different method. I was very skeptical about it, but a pipe wrench only took me 2 minutes. It was a breeze.

TwistnItSideways
03-15-2014, 11:24 AM
I tried the correct tool and it was very difficult. I gave up after nearly 20 minutes and tried a different method. I was very skeptical about it, but a pipe wrench only took me 2 minutes. It was a breeze.

Yea i rented the puller from autozone. that one didn't fit. Bought a puller from Harbor freight that was to big. Then I bought a the manual puller (one without the slidehammer you just twist it and forces it out) That broke.

that cost me 100 bucks right there alone. Then i finally said F*** it let someone else do it (MISTAKE) took it to a speed shop and 250$ and 3 hours later it was pulled.

Juantwo3
03-15-2014, 12:02 PM
use a chizel and a hammer

zerodameaon
03-16-2014, 03:26 AM
I helped a friend, after dealing with the one in my car we welded a pipe to it with a eye bolt welded to it, then used a come along off a pole behind the car. Seems like a lot of work but it made the whole ordeal take about 10min.

blackrms13
03-16-2014, 11:02 AM
...yea, probably for double the price than your regular parts store.

it's $3 from the dealer...if you can't afford that...well...:ddog: