PDA

View Full Version : sr20det smokes on decel

frankies1390
03-13-2014, 06:00 PM
ok so my local shop is too busy doing their formula d cars and cant return my calls.. so ill try here.

ok so had a decel smoke problem, many suggested/ forums sugeested valve stem seals so i got bored, ripped the head off last night and replaced valve seals with oem seals. STILL does the exact same thing?!?!?! the turbo is fairly new but has in and out shaft play what would be the easiest way to determine exhaust housing seal and or turbo would be bad? there is very minimal oil in the hot pipe cold pipe.. any help is greatly appreciated!!!

sr20det blacktop s13
garret gt28rs turbo
triple layer head gasket
arp head studs
catch can
greddy front mount
hks exhaust
10 lbs
stock ecu and injectors

cotbu
03-14-2014, 08:16 PM
there should be no oil in the hot pipe, if you think the turbo is leaking from the cold side, then check for oil in the intake manifold.
if there is? remove the intercooler, piping and manifold, and get to cleaning. the oil could be pooled somewhere and getting blown through the system.

Now, valve stem seals wont make the hot pipe have oil in it, but the exhaust manifold, turbo, down pipe etc. will.
Here pulling the exhaust mani can tell you, if it's the turbo or engine leaking oil. if there is no oil in the manifold then it's probably the turbo.

I would do a warm up, then shut down! let er cool down, hope for the easiest fix.

codyace
03-15-2014, 09:10 PM
How is your crankcase vent/pcv system set up?

frankies1390
03-17-2014, 03:06 PM
if i stay outta boost it doesnt smoke as bad. so my vent system is hose from crank case (block) to "T" the out to a catch can then from catch can to the MAF adapter. The Pcv side is from the PCV valve out of the valve cover then "T's" into the intake manifold and the other side of the "T" to the brake booster.

frankies1390
03-17-2014, 03:10 PM
thanks for your guys' replies BTW.. im just stumped- ive had it all happen to my oil dip stick blowing out due to the hoses being too short on my catch can. but never a smoke issue on decel. i had my money set on valve seals.. didnt seem to help. i really am leaning towards my turbo at this point. when i did the head gasket and ARP head studs 2,000 miles ago it wasnt doing this. it happened in the last 1,000 miles

e1_griego
03-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Sounds like turbo.

I would recommend running the factory oil separator, too.

running the correct restrictor?

frankies1390
03-17-2014, 03:30 PM
thats what im thinkin. dont know about the restrictor. called FRsport who i got the turbo from and they recommended the .04 oil restrictor. running the same turbo on my coupe with 0 issues. ive never ran a factory oil seperator

e1_griego
03-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Yeah, you want the small one for BB turbo.

frankies1390
03-18-2014, 10:00 AM
i just cant imagine there being that much oil hidden somewhere for it to continue to smoke. there has to be something else going on??

spools420a
03-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Ive noticed most times when car smokes on decel its valve guide seals,could purchase a borescope on ebay for like $25 and take a peak,do you have a vacuum guage and does vacuume flutter?

frankies1390
03-18-2014, 03:15 PM
vacuum does not flutter and as stated above i already pulled my head off and replaced valve seals