PDA

View Full Version : Relay clicking when brake pedal pushed?

SnaggleToof
03-06-2014, 07:10 AM
I noticed this for the first time 2 weeks ago, but then it went away and now its back again... 1993 240sx Convertible.

Every time i touch the brake pedal, even just slightly i can hear a relay clicking down there somewhere... also noticed that when my headlights are off and i touch the pedal, the clock lighting in the cluster dims for a fraction of a second at the same time the relay clicks...

Car has been auto to 5 speed swapped.

Any ideas???

smoove
03-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Sounds like a bad relay, or bad ground loop some where. If multimeter is on hand in the tool box I would check the voltage on the brake wire while engaged and check to see if you have a voltage drop on the ground wire. If so then trace and check to see if ground is loose or corroded.

fliprayzin240sx
03-13-2014, 11:17 PM
You checked the fender harness to see if its rubbed thru? You checked under the dash to see if you have any wire touching the pedal assembly?

DILLONDILLONDILLON!
03-14-2014, 10:06 AM
are you sure its not the brake switch ? when you get on the brake pedal slighty the preset distance on the stem of the brake switch will click down making contact allowing the rear taillights to turn on. also if you now are sharing voltage from the rest of the electrical in the car (headlights,dashlights) will lose some voltage shared to the brake lights but amperage will stay the same.
if you want you mihgt be able to adjust the height on the brake pedal or adjust the stop lamp switch located on the brake assy.
25320-75A00 thats the part number for an 92 s13 manual..if you eed pricing on the part i can help you out i just need the vin for your car.