PDA

View Full Version : How's California treating the 240 guys?

jt1583
03-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Hey guys, I may be moving out west soon and wanted to get some opinions from anyone out there. I'm in a SR swapped 240 and the worst things I've heard are

-Registering/smogging won't be easy and
-Theft

I can probably keep the car registered in my home state for a while so long as cops don't give out of state license plates too much trouble. But what about the theft thing? Is that still a problem with the cars being this old? I'll be near the San Francisco area.

Any other opinions or things I should know? I know there's a big 240 presence out there so it sounds do-able. I really don't wanna sell / start over with some lame OEM ride. :coold:

Thanks all.

dorkidori_s13
03-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Ooooooooo, have fun ;)

Nothing like the good ol' Police State Republic of California where unless you drive a Prius, your car is considered a crime against humanity.

And god forbid you have an SR or B series swap, then youre a full fledged blasphemer and heretic! BURN IT! BURN THE WITCH!! ;)

Drift_FX
03-03-2014, 10:39 AM
if you are military with out of state plates they cant do $#!t....... trust me, I know...
(700hp SR22vet that I drive on the street in California)

ahel13
03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Most cops dont like priusis

SamsonS4
03-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Ooooooooo, have fun ;)

Nothing like the good ol' Police State Republic of California where unless you drive a Prius, your car is considered a crime against humanity.

And god forbid you have an SR or B series swap, then youre a full fledged blasphemer and heretic! BURN IT! BURN THE WITCH!! ;)

was waiting for you to close this thread cause its not in the regional section despite most members being in cailfornia

simmode1
03-03-2014, 10:57 AM
As bad as you Cali guys make it should, I'd almost rather have a factory turbo car like a MR2 turbo, Mazdaspeed Miata, 300zx or MKIII Supra than own a swapped 240 if I lived out there... Sounds like you guys sweat bullets everytime you pull out of the driveway...

antigravity
03-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Haven't had any problems...I live in the suburbs and drive my 240 about 2-3 per week no issues...Just make sure you know of a place to smog..

Dboyizmlg
03-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I daily my 240, and I don't have any issues.
Just don't have a fat cannon exhaust, and don't drive like an ass.

You'll be ok.

I'm in the I.E. And L.A. Area.

Juantwo3
03-03-2014, 11:19 AM
So Cal police and CHP = Secret Police at least where i live.

one day you will wake up and wonder where your car went, then one day you will watch it be crushed on you tube and turned into a little cube. Before that it was picked a part by every type of scum you can imagine.

unless you keep it in the garage locked with lions.

other than that keep your car low key and you can get away with it, but act a fool and a large ticket or impound in many cases BOTH.

tricky_ab
03-03-2014, 11:21 AM
My word, Cali sounds like Car heaven...

ryandriftingfat
03-03-2014, 11:22 AM
I would never park a 240 that can move under its own power on the street or in a driveway that isn't somehow blocked.

I used to move my dads car behind mine every night, and that was 11 years ago. Worse now.

spooled240
03-03-2014, 11:22 AM
I daily'd my ka-t s14 for years and didn't have too many problems. Granted my car had oem aero and stock wheels most of the time. If your car is clean and somewhat OEM-looking you'll have better luck. Some of these guys that complain about getting pulled over every other day are the guys with the sticker bombed front lip, bozo exhaust and body kits. If your car screams I'm 16 years old and drive like a jackass then you'll probably get pulled over.

It also depends where you are. Cops in nicer neighborhoods typically don't have much to do so they'll pull you over for not having a front plate or a shiny exhaust muffler. Only time I had my hood popped was from CHP at a meet, but I kinda walked into that one :doh:

Dboyizmlg
03-03-2014, 11:40 AM
^^^WELL SAID!

Spooled240 is on point!
That is entirely correct!!!

Cheanky
03-03-2014, 11:53 AM
It all depends on the area. Just don't drive like a moron and attract attention, cause they wont hesitate to pull you over. And the theft thing honestly isn't too bad. It just depends on the area in Cali you decide to move to.Oh, and the smogging and registration things aren't too bad either. It's not that hard to find a person who will smog for cash ;)

ixfxi
03-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Thats not true. The Prius is no different than any other econobox, other than it being hybrid. Drive a plain-jane Civic, Accord, Volvo.. etc.. you'll blend right into society.

A lot of you guys are incredibly narrow-minded, thinking cops are just bored pulling over people with modified cars. To clarify, cops are pull over idiots driving stupidly modified cars. Just 5 minutes ago I was walking down the street to go get a bite to eat and I see this dumped white S14 with red tow hook, chrome tail lights, and a bunch of other bullshit hanging off of it. Its ghetto-shit like this that attracts unnecessary attention.

As bad as you Cali guys make it should, I'd almost rather have a factory turbo car like a MR2 turbo, Mazdaspeed Miata, 300zx or MKIII Supra than own a swapped 240 if I lived out there... Sounds like you guys sweat bullets everytime you pull out of the driveway...

I drove my car stripped to the bone for a couple years: no dash, wires everywhere, etc... I've been pulled over and cited for simple things like no front plate, but thats about it. People here are just over-reacting, claiming to be suspect. Its no different than the gang member with tattoos on his face crying and saying "poor me" -- yeah, poor you for being an idiot. Dont be suspect and you wont be suspect.

It all depends on the area. Just don't drive like a moron and attract attention

Exactly.

zerodameaon
03-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Theft in SF area is down, the group that was stealing all the 240s has apparently moved on or they got caught and no one heard about it. It was really bad there for a while, like 2-3 cars a week getting stolen and most of them would end up out in stockton.

spooled240
03-03-2014, 01:21 PM
A lot of you guys are incredibly narrow-minded, thinking cops are just bored pulling over people with modified cars. To clarify, cops are pull over idiots driving stupidly modified cars. Just 5 minutes ago I was walking down the street to go get a bite to eat and I see this dumped white S14 with red tow hook, chrome tail lights, and a bunch of other bullshit hanging off of it. Its ghetto-shit like this that attracts unnecessary attention

So we should be fine if our cars are modified with legit parts right? No, I don't care if your s14 is ghetto or legit, most cops put us all in the same boat as "modified"

Some cars just have more of a chance of getting pulled over, like the cars with the kits and GT wings for instance.

brndck
03-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Some good info in here.
All my vehicles are registered in FL, and in the last 5 years I've been pulled over twice. Both times let go with no citation (first time was for "loud exhaust" second for no front plate).

Like previously stated, if your car doesn't look like a giant rolling shitpile and you don't drive like an asshole you shouldnt have too much trouble. Keep your GA plates and license as long as you possibly can. CA reg. and smog are bad and only getting worse with no end in sight.

dluevanos01
03-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Ooooooooo, have fun ;)

Ummmm no!

Thats not true. The Prius is no different than any other econobox, other than it being hybrid. Drive a plain-jane Civic, Accord, Volvo.. etc.. you'll blend right into society.

A lot of you guys are incredibly narrow-minded, thinking cops are just bored pulling over people with modified cars. To clarify, cops are pull over idiots driving stupidly modified cars. Just 5 minutes ago I was walking down the street to go get a bite to eat and I see this dumped white S14 with red tow hook, chrome tail lights, and a bunch of other bullshit hanging off of it. Its ghetto-shit like this that attracts unnecessary attention.

I drove my car stripped to the bone for a couple years: no dash, wires everywhere, etc... I've been pulled over and cited for simple things like no front plate, but thats about it. People here are just over-reacting, claiming to be suspect. Its no different than the gang member with tattoos on his face crying and saying "poor me" -- yeah, poor you for being an idiot. Dont be suspect and you wont be suspect.

Exactly.

^^^^ that.

I was oblivious to the smog laws when I purchased my car and then the SR swap. I was paranoid to drive my car but I had to so I drove carefully and not like an asshole/jackass.

I've been driving my car, not a daily, but I have never had any problems. Both in well off areas in pretty ghetto places. Most of the people I know, including myself, have not gotten any ref tickets because what's stated above.

The only big issue is the infamous smog. You're either going to need to find a "hook up" to do it illegally like most people or keep it registered back home until you get any attention from the cops.

zooopreme
03-03-2014, 01:25 PM
I find it amusing whenever I see somebody from the middle of nowhere say that Cali sucks, Cali is like Naziland or some idiotic remark. I find it even more amusing when people that live or used to live in California say that Cali sucks solely based on smog laws.

First of all, a lot of idiots and broke people live in California.

Smog checks are super easy to pass. My car was left stock engine wise and guess what? I passed with flying colors.

The problem with California lies with its people. Smog checks are never bad if your car is stock and you have everything functioning correctly in the engine bay. The "smog check problem" that everybody on Zilvia (and other forums) alludes to is the fact that they drive cars with not legal swaps in them because regardless of what the law states. Most people think it's appropriate and a must have when you obtain a 240.

Last time I checked people are drifting with N/A KA's. Sure you're limited on power, but if you're willing to fork up money to dish out 400+hp in your SR'd street car, I'm pretty sure you've got money to fork up another car for the track. And if the engine can be legalized, people are reluctant or spent too much money on the swap to get it passed.

Theft is another people problem everywhere and it's prominent in California because of the proximity between cities and neighborhoods. Broke ass people steal cars or resort to stealing period. This happen mostly in and around areas full of minority races. Not being racist, not throwing out stereotypes. It's just the truth. If you live in a nice CITY (not just neighborhood), you will find it hard to hear and see chop shop Mexican and Asians running rampant around looking for victims. I promise you that.

CHP is 50/50. Some are nice, some are not. I wouldn't count out that possibility in any other state but there are a lot of cops out here solely because of the massive size and living areas in California which increases the chances of getting caught.

California is great for a lot of things like school, vacations, exploring, culture, etc. but idiots overlook it because they don't like how strict it is when they deliberately break laws knowingly. If you want to keep a 240 out here, stick with a stock engine or have the swap with all emission components to get it legalized. Or you could own a drift car and own a street car. There is no and there will not be a middle area without facing the odds.

Cheanky
03-03-2014, 01:54 PM
That was beautifully true ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rangerjavi
03-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Buy a family four door like a Volvo and leave it factory, only stickers you should put on are the ones with the stick family and keep your 240 as your weekend car. Sounds like a pita but every where you go there will be thieves and cops that will give you headaches so if you want to keep the car with less hassle than compromise with having a low key car for a daily. Keep in mind this is only my opinion and best of luck to you.

SamsonS4
03-03-2014, 02:25 PM
All the hot latina girls here offset the negative aspects of california.

dorkidori_s13
03-03-2014, 02:32 PM
i never said cali sucks, however, if you would like to take what i said that way...then by all means do so

however, my qualms with california go much deeper than the laws ability to confiscate your car from you and crush it into a cube. keep in mind that california dictates to the rest of the country what any car on the market is going to be like. if it doesnt pass every little law that california comes up with, it doesnt get released!

last i remember, how much fun do you guys have out there have buying a catalytic converter from texas and getting it on your car by the weekend...wait, i forgot, it is illegal in the state of california to buy a non-california approved and sold cat. this is just one of many little annoyances i have with the state. my irritations do not lie with the car enthusiasts, just the state government that some how gets its way over 50 other states in dictating what happens in the automotive industry.

PS: even if you get your car to pass sniffer with an SR20, there is not such thing as a "legal" SR/CA/RB swap...PERIOD!!! the only way you can "legally" dodge smog check is by registering your car as a "classic car" in certain states and only driving it "5000 miles" a year (mileage varies by state, here its 5k)

pacotaco345
03-03-2014, 02:53 PM
I'll chime in and give my 2 cents. I currently go to college in Texas but my car stays where I live; Riverside CA. Its by no means a subtle car but its also by no means a shitty car. I've been pulled over a total of 5 times in 5 years and let off all but once. The only time I wasn't let off I went flying through an intersection a second after a light turned red, over the speed limit with my front bumper missing. Front mount sitting out in the open and all. The cop gave me a ticket for running a red light, didn't pop my hood, didn't write me up for speeding and didn't even really care that I had no proof of insurance on me at the moment.

I've been pulled over for literally no reason and the cop told me "You're obviously not the type of kid we're looking for, we're just pulling over anyone with a car we can write up". After that he said cool car and let me go on my way.

My favorite case was when I got pulled over with a friend, him in his stock celica supra with an exhaust and me in my 240 1/2" off the ground, tint, neon, sr20 etc... I was given a $15 fix it ticket for not having a front plate, my friend got written up over $600 in penalties. The only difference was that I wasn't being a smart ass to the cop.

Most of the people bitching about california laws are those who already have a chip on their shoulder about cops, or drive cars that are 10 different colors and literally look dangerous to drive. Long story short just be polite and don't be stupid and you'll be fine.

fliprayzin240sx
03-03-2014, 02:57 PM
As far as California is concerned...

atleast it's not Virginia.

dizzariot
03-03-2014, 03:30 PM
My little brother has a bone stock (cleaner than mine) S13 Coupe. This thing is 'grandma-steez' by all means. Maintained, under 60k when we picked it up in SD, maintenance records and all. It passed smog and everything. He's had it for a while now.

This past year he moved to WA and after a short stay he moved back to CA. Even though he had just paid for the smog in CA, the law states that any vehicle entering the state has to be smogged again. This time the fucker didn't pass. He had to drop over $500 to make it 'acceptable' by CA's standards.

My take on it? SR's are a nightmare for CA residents. I say this because I've owned a couple, had to pay the big bucks to smog, and now even a KA24DE is iffy when you go to smog it. My brother and I maintain our cars and I realize the catalytic converters are bound to go shitty, but my problem lies with the fact that he HAD to by the 'CA LEGAL' cat that is more expensive than a stock one from the marketplace here.

Then again, maybe the city we live in just sucks. Who knows. I'm in FL with the Navy right now and I'm going back to CA in a week. I'll have a FL license and I'm keeping my FRS registered here until I have to switch it to CA.

SamsonS4
03-03-2014, 03:48 PM
As far as California is

exactly. Its all like cops r no bother n I can has jdm cars.

its like who cares ur in va

brndck
03-03-2014, 05:31 PM
I forgot to mention, and I tell EVERYONE this, but Broadfield on Zilvia sells this awesome VIPER GPS tracking unit for around $300, +$75 a year for the service. You can track your car via smart phone app, it has an optional battery backup so if your car gets stolen, and they remove the battery, the unit stays on for like 2 days. You can set "fences" so if your car moves outside the "fence" it notifies you, you can also tie it in with other viper alarms, remote start, etc. It's super easy to install and for anyone dumping $$$ into their car I highly recommend it.

Juantwo3
03-03-2014, 05:51 PM
I forgot to mention, and I tell EVERYONE this, but Broadfield on Zilvia sells this awesome VIPER GPS tracking unit for around $300, +$75 a year for the service. You can track your car via smart phone app, it has an optional battery backup so if your car gets stolen, and they remove the battery, the unit stays on for like 2 days. You can set "fences" so if your car moves outside the "fence" it notifies you, you can also tie it in with other viper alarms, remote start, etc. It's super easy to install and for anyone dumping $$$ into their car I highly recommend it.

fucken sick i didnt know this.

brndck
03-03-2014, 05:56 PM

Yeah I've had mine for almost a year, it's only about the size of a cigarette pack.
I travel out of town for a week or 2 at a time and it's good peace of mind to hit a button and say "oh yeah my car is right where I left it".
Every time I go on Facebook and see another dude say "oh fuck I've dumped $13k into my car and then it got stolen, I wish I'd spent $300 on a tracking device" I tell em how stupid they are and also that they should have bought this thing.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=537559

The unit I have is the dsm250 smart start, but as you can read in the thread, it can be used independently, or tie in with all of those other viper systems like alarm or remote start, tilt sensor, etc.

zerodameaon
03-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Protip, register your car in a normal smog area, meaning no cities and you will not get tested for NOX and the numbers will be higher for stuff you do get tested on. That and your registration is normally less.

Also anyone bitching about cats being expensive, magnaflow has a cat that is about the same price as OEM 49 state legal ones. Yeah you gotta weld it to the OEM flanges but who the hell cares its Cali legal and cheap.

To piggyback off of brndck, if you want a security system but feel you do not need the GPS thing, a 2 way with a battery backup and a tilt sensor is a minimum requirement. Removable steering wheels are not security devices, and fuel kill switches are cool and all but if someone really wants your car a truck with a repo tow kit will make quick work of overriding your fuel cut.

spooled240
03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
good info on that anti-theft ^^

turbronegro
03-03-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm moving to California from Virginia and the only thing I am dredding is their retarded strict gun laws. My cars will remain registered in VA and so will my lisence. But, damn a 10rd or less magazine only!? Wtf.

zerodameaon
03-03-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm moving to California from Virginia and the only thing I am dredding is their retarded strict gun laws. My cars will remain registered in VA and so will my lisence. But, damn a 10rd or less magazine only!? Wtf.

Welcome to California, where public safety from law abiding citizens is more important than your rights.

At least the no CCW thing is getting overturned, oh wait no its not the Attorney General is trying to do a backroom appeal of that even though they ignored requests to be part of the original court case.

rangerjavi
03-03-2014, 09:15 PM

+1 I agree to this.

zooopreme
03-03-2014, 10:20 PM
i never said cali sucks, however, if you would like to take what i said that way...then by all means do so

Nobody was referring to you or talking to you though, lol.

jt1583
03-04-2014, 06:42 AM
Damn thanks for the big response guys. As I expected, don’t be an idiot and it should work out. For about an hour yesterday I contemplated selling the car and getting something like an S2000, then I went to finish my injector install yesterday and decided I’m not gonna let Johnny law and a few hoops to jump through take my car away. If I have out of state plates though, that don’t require a front, do I still need to put a front on there?

Broadfield
03-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Yeah I've had mine for almost a year, it's only about the size of a cigarette pack.
I travel out of town for a week or 2 at a time and it's good peace of mind to hit a button and say "oh yeah my car is right where I left it".
Every time I go on Facebook and see another dude say "oh fuck I've dumped $13k into my car and then it got stolen, I wish I'd spent $300 on a tracking device" I tell em how stupid they are and also that they should have bought this thing.

The unit I have is the dsm250 smart start, but as you can read in the thread, it can be used independently, or tie in with all of those other viper systems like alarm or remote start, tilt sensor, etc.

^^^^^This guys is my best salesman!

brndck
03-04-2014, 07:32 AM
If I have out of state plates though, that don’t require a front, do I still need to put a front on there?
No. But there is a possibility they'll use it as an excuse to pull you over. This happened to me just a week ago in Fullerton. I explained to the officer that since Florida does not require me to have a front plate, I don't have one. He couldn't do shit. (Florida won't even issue a front plate unless you specifically request it and are willing to pay the extra fee for it.)

My FL license matches the registration on the vehicle so there really wasn't much he could say. I was courteous with him and he sent me on my way.

^^^^^This guys is my best salesman!
Well, ya got the best product and excellent customer service!!!!

Broadfield
03-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Well, ya got the best product and excellent customer service!!!!

I appreciate you always pushing the product and noting my name... so next time you buy something from me, remind me and I'll toss a nice discount on top!

TwelveAM
03-04-2014, 12:47 PM

I had seen the thread and completely forgot. Thank you for giving everyone the heads up on this deal. Now I for sure know where to get my piece of mind from. Will be seeking you in the near future Broadfield. :bigok:

zerodameaon
03-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Damn thanks for the big response guys. As I expected, don’t be an idiot and it should work out. For about an hour yesterday I contemplated selling the car and getting something like an S2000, then I went to finish my injector install yesterday and decided I’m not gonna let Johnny law and a few hoops to jump through take my car away. If I have out of state plates though, that don’t require a front, do I still need to put a front on there?

No front plate needed but it draws attention to you, and you may draw the attention of the same officer at a later date and make him aware of the fact you live here. Also they may not be able to give you mod related tickets but they can still give you tickets for safety violations like broken lights or cracked windows etc.

Since you are over the age of around 23 you can't play the "I am a student card" anymore, after that age they say you must switch over to registering in the state and get a CA DL regardless of your student status. A CHP rep was on the news a few weeks ago stating they were done dealing with people not switching to Cali plates(they want the money more or less) and were trying to implement some kind of ticker system to catch violators. More scare tactics than anything but its something to be mindful of and keep an eye out for news about.

turbronegro
03-05-2014, 06:37 AM
If I'm on mil orders and my cars are registered out of state do I have to get smog done? Also, one car has antique plates and registration from VA.

zerodameaon
03-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Depends on the base, NBSD tried to make me smog my S13 when I had Maine plates on the car. My response was not to switch to their base stickers and keep my NAS Brunswick tags. Try and get your base tag renewed before you come over here and not worry about it.

jt1583
03-07-2014, 07:16 AM
What about switching registration to a friend in my home state here, then keep home state plates while in CA?

It could probably provide a better story than anything I could come up with if the car is still registered to me w/ out of state plates. Could say something like I'm tuning it up for him while he's out of the country yada yada yada.

spooled240
03-14-2014, 10:24 AM
As far as California is concerned...

I heard there ain't shit to do but cook..pack it up, sell it triple price fuck the books

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5f09YFMTTM

tacobellman_2007
03-15-2014, 02:48 AM

Hey brndck, since you are basically in the same city as I am in, would you happen to know of any RELIABLE shops in San Diego that can install the whole Viper GPS "Ultimate Security" system? I would say "for a reasonable price," but I AM getting a theft-prevention device installed in my car, so I'm guessing I shouldn't be so picky with pricing...?

I plan on this being my next purchase for my 240, so I'd like to find out where I can get this whole system installed with no problems. (I am not very good with electronics and wiring, nor do I currently have the time to do this myself with my 240 being my only car :|)

Thanks!!!

Gordo714
04-03-2014, 12:49 AM
im mainly in oc area, first 240 i had was a coupe loud exhaust tinted hids no front license plate etc...i would get pulled over all the damn time, now im in a hatch no tint no exhaust all my lights work etc...and cops dont even look at me. my point being is use common sense be smart and youll be fine

SarcastaBall
02-02-2016, 02:13 AM
brndck

You have the best posts of the week, for me.