PDA

View Full Version : Another hood release problem

mattyl526
01-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Before anyone says anything,

yes I've looked for the hood release inside, no there isn't one.
yes I've tried searching, all of my results come up as the hood latch cable being broken which is not what I'm looking for.

That being said, with no hood release inside my car, how do I go about getting it open?
I'm retarded so someone please explain it to me in simple prain engrish. Colorful pictures are highly encouraged.

kthxbye

Car is a '92 240sx hatchback

sleepyS14se
01-15-2014, 07:39 AM
try to locate the cable. At that time you will need to use some needle nose pliers. Once you manage to get the hood open ( DO NOT CLOSE IT!! LOL) but once you get it open you can replace the whole cable/pull handle inside the car.

I honestly do not know how/where the cable is routed but I will be doing this on my s14 since my handle broke and it is now hard as f to get open. So if i find it before you i will let you know.

S13 and s14 hood cable routing may be different

mattyl526
01-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Only thing I found were black and red cables.
When I picked up the car the previous owner did it so I didn't think much of it.

What do with said needle nose pliers

deedilus
01-18-2014, 10:15 AM
One of the previous owners of my S14 had been in a front end collision and totally butchered up the front end, so I know your pain. The release is on the back, but unless you have a 90* screw driver / pick to reach behind there and pull it you're pretty much SOL. If you feel around with the 90* driver/pick behind the passenger side of the latch you should be able to find the little bracket that deals with unlatching, get your pick on it and pull, if you're lucky then you can get it unlatched so you can figure out what's going on back there.

My third hood release cable snapped the other day while trying to get the hood open to figure out why my s14 wouldn't start, so I had to deal with that before I could leave work. I ended up getting frustrated and just using a socket to take off the entire latch mechanism, then once it was up I discovered the cable snapped.

Good luck.

fliprayzin240sx
01-22-2014, 02:41 AM
Wait, what do you mean you have no hood release? Do you not know where its supposed to be at or is there no lever to pull on the left bottom side of the dash (right above the kick panel?

mattyl526
01-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Wait, what do you mean you have no hood release? Do you not know where its supposed to be at or is there no lever to pull on the left bottom side of the dash (right above the kick panel?

There is no lever to pull on the bottom left side of the dash

fliprayzin240sx
01-23-2014, 02:55 AM
Is the cable still under there? How the hell did the PO pop the hood? Might be worth a call to ask him before you start fanaggling with the latch.

mattyl526
01-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Is the cable still under there? How the hell did the PO pop the hood? Might be worth a call to ask him before you start fanaggling with the latch.

I see black and red wires. Not sure what the cable is supposed to look like unless that's it.
Tried calling, but the guy is really hard to get a hold of, even before I bought the car. Haven't planned on fanaggling with the latch yet. Was hoping to figure this out first.

blueshark123
01-23-2014, 09:05 AM
The cable is routed through the wheel well driverside take splash guard and tire off cut cable sleeving off and then pull the actual cable with a plier. that's what thieves do.

Nissansota240
01-23-2014, 09:07 AM
These photos should help you understand.. . . because it appears that you are having a difficult time.

Here is the basics of the cable
http://www.frsport.com/images/detailed_images/Nissan_65620-35F45_02.jpg

Hood latch
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i257/bigjohn151/th_MVI_5426.jpg

Here is what the back side of the latch looks like.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6666483-0-large.jpg

Cable Routing, goes through the fire wall here
http://www.civic-eg.com/causeforalarm/nissan_240SX/wheelWell.jpg

If you can find that cable, just pull the metal cable inside the plastic sheild, should open the latch.

If you don't have the cable your going to need to activate the latch using a 90ยบ bend pliers or something similar to release the latch on the backside. See number 40 on the latch picture, pull that towards the driverside.