PDA

View Full Version : New to the great state of Texas

ZX88
01-12-2014, 06:58 AM
Hey everyone,

So I just moved down from the wonderful state of new jersey to the Austin TX area. I own a sr20det 240 and was wondering if anyone (from the area) could shed some light on registering my car down here.

From what I found the car has to be inspected prior to Texas registration. So how difficult is this going to be for me in Travis county?

Also what goes on in Austin or surrounding areas (drifting related) other than Lone Star Drift (excited to check it out)?
:coold:

95sx
01-12-2014, 08:17 AM
you just had to move to one of the few counties in Texas that does emissions testing lol
El Paso, Travis and Williamson County Motorists
In conjunction with the annual safety inspection, all gasoline powered vehicles from 2 through 24 years old which are registered or primarily operated in emissions counties will be subject to one of the following emissions tests.
1995 and older vehicles will receive the Two Speed Idle (TSI) test while 1996 and newer vehicles receive the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) test.
straight from the Texas DPS website enjoy

SexyNights
02-28-2014, 08:14 PM
As long as you aren't running incredibly rich, or making 400+ HP you should pass emissions for a a pre OBD II car if you have a cat I would thow it on for testing purposes, the inspection is just safety garbage besides that. welcome to 325 days on average of sun. Besides that I have not noticed much drifting going on in the Austin Central Texas area, but I haven't spent a ton of time looking either.

AS240
03-02-2014, 11:41 AM
In Texas, you must first get your car inspected before it can be registered. When getting inspected, ask for a "green slip". After you get inspected, you take that green slip to the tax office and they use that sheet to transfer your car's info into the Texas database or whatever.
If you try to get it inspected in an emissions county, it might be difficult to pass, especially with a swap. You can go a little south into Buda or anywhere really and try your luck at some little shops first.
There is a facebook page for people in the Austin area for drifting and such. SlideATX.

lewisfk
03-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I just bought a house in Williamson County and I was wondering the same thing, but Ill drive down to my hometown of Yoakum to see what I can get done. Get a good ass alarm, and get a house or apartment with a garage. Some assholes tried to still my car while it was on the trailer.

AS240
03-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Yoakum you say, I'm actually from Victoria. Small world.
I avoid San Antonia like the plague, I've heard way too many stories of people getting their cars stolen or getting car jacked.

ghost_silvia
03-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Anybody want to caravan to Houston HIN 3-14? I'm picking up my car next week and have to get emissions, I have a Ca18 so we'll see how that goes.
Btw welcome to TX.

Spaz882
04-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Hey everyone,

So I just moved down from the wonderful state of new jersey to the Austin TX area. I own a sr20det 240 and was wondering if anyone (from the area) could shed some light on registering my car down here.

From what I found the car has to be inspected prior to Texas registration. So how difficult is this going to be for me in Travis county?

Registration should be a problem. To get a around the inspection side, you should find a good friend in the Bell Co. (Killeen, Temple, Belton area) and get the registration done there, then you inspection is a saftey only and way cheaper. I live in Houston (The Woodland, Magnolia area) but my Girlfriend goes to school @ UMHB, So I just did my Registration there, no questions ask, just do you have a Bell Co. address. Yep

S14kouki_10
04-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Awesome, been following your build thread for years, back from nico. Not into the whole scene so can't help you out with that, wouldn't mind checking out your car though, hmu!
anyone else too, need more car friends.

2muchboost
11-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Back from the dead. So did you get it registered? Looking to move down to Austin within 4 months with a swapped S chassis.

Josephj
10-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Reviving the thread. I'm also moving from NJ to Katy Tx I do have a s14 kouki w sr swap. Been wondering how to get around the inspection. Thanks in advance for the help

2muchboost
11-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Find a local enthusiast that can help you figure it out. I am trying something out if it works I will shoot you a PM and we can go from there. Should know in the next 2-3 weeks if it worked out.

Josephj
11-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Appreciate it.