PDA

View Full Version : Home owners

lewisfk
01-01-2014, 12:19 PM
ON the 30 Dec 13, I closed on my house with great relief. I purchase a home in Georgetown, TX, great schools and location. I have several questions and felt a thread would be best. MODS if this is a thread already please move.

Everyone I did search the web and purchased Consumer guide. The more info the better.

(Q) 1: Has anyone used Time Warner, Cox, or any other cable company offering a home security. I'm currently equipped with ADT, but if there is a better company out there please let me know.

(Q) 2: Home warranty program/insurance, who do you use? I received a year paid by the seller with a company called Old Republic.

(Q) 3: Solar Power, this may be a regional question due to my location. My house is equipped with natural gas for majority of the appliances but I want to heat my pool and upgrade the garage. What is the best company out there?

(Q) 4: Taxes, rebates? This is for military members who are GO Bachelors or Business People who own/rent a residence in multiple states throughout the year.

S14DB
01-01-2014, 12:46 PM
You need to go back to your real estate agent and punch them in the face.

lewisfk
01-01-2014, 01:30 PM
You need to go back to your real estate agent and punch them in the face.

Seriously man, My agent helped me out greatly and so did the Military Home Buying Program. I'm looking for people who bought a house and found out the hard way or a better way to capitalize on their investment. What security system do you have, do you have solar power or wind. Do you have a home warranty program covering your major appliances, pool, or equipment in your garage.

S14DB
01-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Seriously man, My agent helped me out greatly and so did the Military Home Buying Program. I'm looking for people who bought a house and found out the hard way or a better way to capitalize on their investment. What security system do you have, do you have solar power or wind. Do you have a home warranty program covering your major appliances, pool, or equipment in your garage.
The way you worded you questions lead me to believe that your broker/agent didn't do a good job of explaining things to you. Particularity Q2 and Q4.
It sounds like you think the warranty and insurance are the same thing which they are not.
I see you re-worded 4.

1) Check with your homeowners Insurance to see what discounts you get with an alarm. See if certain features(deadman, GSM backup) will get you better discounts.
As a national chain goes ADT has gotten better over the years with competition. 10yrs ago I would have told you to go somewhere else. I would just stay with them if you are comfortable.
Cable company alarms are usually internet based and completely dependent on the internet being up. I have seen very few with GSM backup when the cable is cut or even battery backup. They have a lot of bells and whistles that are matched(bested) by a home automation system.
Just use the basic door/window/motion. Then do any cameras or automation on your own.

2)The warranty is just to protect you and the seller against the major stuff breaking. It's a waste of money to continue the policy after it expires. If you are really concerned get a new bank account and auto deposit what the policy invoice is into it. You will have a lot more money down the road when stuff does break than the lackluster replacement values they will give you.

Homeowners Insurance is complex. You have the Home Value, Contents value and then Liability. Not something I would make suggestions on. Seek a broker.

3) Sounds like you want a solar heater for the pool and home hot water not solar power?

DrtyRat
01-01-2014, 06:25 PM
1) i had xfinity home security system for a brief period, and to put it mildly it was a complete nightmare. Nothing worked properly from the beginning and they tried to stick us with a 1500.00 early termination fee. My wife eventually had to write a letter to the dept of agriculture(i believe that was who it was) to get everything finally resolved, but before that we ahd no less than 50 hours of endless phone calls and at least 10 interruptions our cable service.

3) Id wait to see how much you are really going to use your pool first. We have a pool in miami and don't use it as much as we thought we would, just something to consider.

lewisfk
01-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys, this is the info i need and future home buyers. I have ADT for 45 days no charge, I got several insurance quotes from state farm, farmers, nation wide, and usaa. I compared all of the pros and cons with all four but no one came close to usaa benefits.

I got 3 kids and they are counting down for a 90 degree day. My oldest used her tablet to do a countdown and she gets weather updates daily. I basically told them it has to be 90 degrees for two consecutive days before they can get in. With the current weather trends mid March or so.