PDA

View Full Version : Having a weird electrical issue!

Globe891
12-31-2013, 10:41 AM
ok guys, so the other week my battery light came on, no big deal, got a new battery (Odyssey pc680) and all was well for like 3 days, then i noticed the battery light flickering when i was driving, and boom, the next day battery dead. Looked around the car and noticed the headlight harness was rubbing and there was exposed wires! fixed that all up, jumped the car and drove around for a while, but still noticed the battery light coming on when i was braking. I get home after 20 minutes of driving around the battery dies again =(

so, thoughts? what else could be causing a drain? i checked all the light switches (dome, trunk, etc) this is my daily and my sister is getting tired of me using her car lol thanks again guys!

-could it be that my battery just needs to be charged? and that its not getting the proper charge by simply driving around for a little?

240boi115
12-31-2013, 10:44 AM
if your battery isnt getting a charge while you drive it around and youve gottena new battery, the next place to start is the alternator because thats what its job is, to recharge the battery. autozone sells rebuilt ones or you can roll the dice at a junkyard and pray nothing is wrong with it.

Globe891
12-31-2013, 10:46 AM
well when we jumped the battery, the alternator was charging just fine! the battery light only came on when braking, which is weird

240boi115
12-31-2013, 10:55 AM
did you check the volts? running it should be at a little near 13volts, if it fluctuates then its not good. after the alternator, check for a bad ground placement. if it isnt that then something in your car is staying on and draining your battery ex.- an interior light, that damn rubber button on the brake pedal usually falls off, or even a blown out fuse.

No 240.. No id
12-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Chrage the battery, start the car, while its idealing disconnect the battrey terminals. If it cuts off then you need a new alternator. If not the alternator is fine. Also check the 80 amp gray color fuse and see if its good. Usually its goes out too.

Globe891
01-01-2014, 11:49 AM
ahh ok i will check out these in order, thanks guys!

Globe891
01-01-2014, 12:11 PM
that damn rubber button on the brake pedal usually falls off

also, i just looked, how far up is this button supposed to be? lol

kruked
01-02-2014, 05:35 PM
also, i just looked, how far up is this button supposed to be? lol

You would know if it's gone, your brake lights would constantly be on.

Charge your battery and see what happens. If the battery dies again, then have.......wait, if you take there battery to the parts store to have them charge it, take the alternator w/ you and have them test it. Kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone.

Do that and report back young Kimosabe.

Globe891
01-02-2014, 06:08 PM
battery/alternator is just fine. I think my power steering line might be hitting my alternator plug, i'll post a pic when I can. The headlight harness had some tire rub, patched that up and it helped, but now my battery light only when comes when i brake.

that little rubber boot thing all the way up? i dont see anything that would cause a contact and that appears to be missing lol

Globe891
01-04-2014, 07:23 AM
ok so, I remedied the problem! thanks guys. I went ahead and replaced both battery terminals, and noticed the power steering line was touching the alternator wires! probably grounding out =( anyways I took attention to that and boom done.

now here's the funny part, its a 240 so something always goes wrong right? now my tail lights are always on, I think i broke that button lol! thanks again guys!