PDA

View Full Version : Broken oil pan bolt

gmfb702
12-26-2013, 10:05 PM
So I was putting on a new oil pan gasket because it was leaking. I noticed that one of the bolts was missing or so I thought. Then when I was putting the oil pan back on I noticed there was a bolt broken off in there. I already had RTV on the oil pan and a few bolts back on so I decided to put the rest of the bolts on and hope for the best. Unfortunately it was leaking from where the broken bolt is. So my question is if I use a screw extractor to get the bolt out do I need to remove the oil pan again or can I just put in a new bolt and be good to go. I used a cork gasket with rtv on both sides if that matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

turbob16ef
12-27-2013, 12:26 PM
My guess is your going to have to pull the pan back out. But you mind aswell try to do it without removal first and try your luck.

shiftdrift
12-27-2013, 12:27 PM
might as well try with it on still, if it works you save the time pulling the pan, if not you can just pull the pan

g35gabby
12-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Totally depends on what method you use to try and extract it. if there is a bit of a stud left, you can use a stud extractor that bites into the remaining metal and unbolt (or a vice grip). If you are going with the drilling method remember that if you don't go perfectly straight it is twice as hard to fix. most of the time I remove as many parts as possible to not have my drill bump anything well drilling.

if it was me, I would pull the pan, and hope that there is some stud left so I didn't have to drill. It is much easier to remove than if it is flush with the block.

gmfb702
12-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah I didn't see any of the bolt when I had oilpan off so I was gonna drill in it and use an extractor. My main concern would be metal shavings getting in the oilpan. It was leaking while the motor was running but not when it was off it seemed. So if I'm able to get the bolt out with oilpan still on I should be good right? I've never drilled or removed a broken bolt so that's why I'm asking so many questions lol.