PDA

View Full Version : Tagging other members in threads(like facebook)

GabeS14
12-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Is it possible to tag other members in threads so they get notification's like on facebook?
E90post.com has that option by adding a @ followed by the users name... for example: @GabeS14
The name shows up in a blue box/bubble and that user gets notified.
[GabeS14]If not already possible, maybe that would be a good idea?
And something fresh for the forum?

GabeS14
12-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Since some people dont understand why tagging would be nice, ill give examples..

username1 knows username2 is looking for gangster jdm wheels; He stumbles across a sale thread that just came up and wants to notify his buddy the quickest way possible and tags his name in that thread...

or

A new build thread starts with a jet engine into an s15.
another user knows his zilvia buddy is also hoping to swap a jet engine into his pos.. so he tags him in that thread....

zerodameaon
12-20-2013, 05:51 PM
We are two versions of Vbullitin behind and even the newest version does not have a tagging system.

There are mods but they do not allow for enough customization. As it is now with those mods anyone can tag anyone which I am sure the admins do not want to be tagged every 30 seconds. Plus it would get annoying and give trolls even more power to annoy the crap out of everyone.

I am going to have to vote no.

EDIT: It will also allow spammers to be much more efficient.

kingkilburn
12-20-2013, 05:57 PM
It will have to be optional, defaulted to off, and no one will want to use it.

Maybe vendors but I see them ignoring it too.

GabeS14
12-20-2013, 05:59 PM
you think negatively ...think positively lol...

A tagging system allows for the option to be tagged or not..(settings) like in facebook.
comprende?

We are two versions of Vbullitin behind and even the newest version does not have a tagging system.

There are mods but they do not allow for enough customization. As it is now with those mods anyone can tag anyone which I am sure the admins do not want to be tagged every 30 seconds. Plus it would get annoying and give trolls even more power to annoy the crap out of everyone.

zerodameaon
12-20-2013, 06:03 PM
So you are asking them to build one from the ground up? I know we have some bright guys here but IDK if any of them are VB programmers.

GabeS14
12-20-2013, 06:15 PM
well see what they say.. let the people speak! lol

Phlip
12-21-2013, 12:51 PM

^^^ I am cosigning this response.
Looking solely at the number of times my name gets mentioned as the person to turn to for things that I have LITERALLY no concern, control, ability, access or interest in I can only imagine wanting to murder someone for actually TAGGING me or any other moderators or administrators in attempts to do the same.

VNG704
12-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Give to premies only. That will eliminate spam bot use and some idiots. Give people options to turn off if they don't like getting tagged.

Phlip
12-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Give to premies only. That will eliminate spam bot use and some idiots. Give people options to turn off if they don't like getting tagged.

Please re-read the post I quoted.
Professionally, I provide client products support for proprietary systems at a medical company that I will not name, but IN NO WAY does that EVER touch modification of the VB software for a web forum. Especially one that I do not own.
I would agree with the "premium only" aspect, as that might sell premium memberships, but still I am still only a cog in a system that no one has yet convinced me that adding this aspect will be beneficial.

GabeS14
12-26-2013, 06:41 PM
being on a forum which does use this, It's use is not as rampant as you might think.
But if it's that hard to create, I guess I understand.

g35gabby
12-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I would agree with the "premium only" aspect, as that might sell premium memberships, but still I am still only a cog in a system that no one has yet convinced me that adding this aspect will be beneficial.

I asked about that in the premium section a few months ago, along with eliminating the timers between replies to PMs, but never got a real response.

only benefit of being tagged or w/e as far I could tell would be knowing when someone replied to me in a thread. if I go more than ~12 hours between checking new posts, threads I have previously posted in fall off the the "new posts" field. specially in cases where there is someone asking a question on how to fix something, F/S things I personally thing should be handled by PM for the most part.

It would suck for mods and admins though, TBH I'm not sure why y'all subject yourself to the torture as much as you do already. More than few ungrateful little aholes running around here.

Ps I thought it was a V bulliten plug in?