PDA

View Full Version : Need info on KA24DE Rebuild

onessari
12-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Hey guys, I was actually looking for different motors to actual swap in my s14 but all swaps cost a goo amount. Therefore, I was thinking about just doing a full rebuild and just add forged pistons, bc cams, springs, retainers, rocker arm stopper and a metal head gasket. Is there anything else, or any other way you guys may know what to do. My power range would want to be at approx. 350-400hp and it will be my daily driver. So please any kind of input would be very helpful. I would also want to know if I should machine it, or do really need to? Please help. It will be pushing boost.

Frank_Jaeger
12-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Not gonna happen. There're multiple red flags in / about your post that make your ignorance pretty obvious.

onessari
12-19-2013, 12:32 PM
And how may that be. Listen im asking for advice, if your not here to give advice then you can move on.

Chaluska
12-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Hey guys, I was actually looking for different motors to actual swap in my s14 but all swaps cost a goo amount. Therefore, I was thinking about just doing a full rebuild and just add forged pistons, bc cams, springs, retainers, rocker arm stopper and a metal head gasket. Is there anything else, or any other way you guys may know what to do. My power range would want to be at approx. 350-400hp and it will be my daily driver. So please any kind of input would be very helpful. I would also want to know if I should machine it, or do really need to? Please help. It will be pushing boost.

...what engine do you currently have?

that's definitely a pretty hefty list to only make 350whp...

what are you going to be doing about fuel management?

how do you intend on installing new pistons WITHOUT machine work? at the least get the block and cylinders checked for roundness and taper. if your going with a metal headgasket, id expect you would definitely want to get the block and head machined as flat as possible for the best seal.

there are too many variables to really go on and on with your request. you need to give some more info.

what engine
what fuel management
what turbo / manifold setup
how much PSI
what kind of fuel
what compression ratio
ignition setup?

stunnaben
12-19-2013, 01:05 PM
KA's don't have rocker arms....

That's what he was getting at in terms of ignorance. Just make sure you do your research in terms of what actually needs to be done to a KA for a rebuild. It's been covered a million times... Just go read up some then come back and post what you think you need to have done and if you're missing anything and I'm sure everyone will be much more likely to help you. Since you posted rocker arms stoppers he's calling BS.

stunnaben
12-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Also, if it's a KA, do not go with a metal head gasket. Go with a felpro. They hold up really well so long as you've done all the work. The metal head gaskets don't do so well with the KA24de.

onessari
12-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Well, that's what I want to know. I want to keep the price as low and possible. So I will definitely keep the felpro gasket in mind. I was just looking for a kit that is affordable but also lasts. Im scared to go thru ebay and get it that's why. Other thing is that, I don't know much about rebuild, but I just believe my motor would need one if Im gunna be running boost. So let me rephrase my question: Whats the most affordable thing to do in order to push 350hp? What would I need to get in order to run that power with probably 12psi on 91octane? Im just looking for the cheapest route in order to boost my KA24de without blowing the motor.

zerodameaon
12-19-2013, 03:00 PM
If you want to make that much power for cheap go get a engine swap. You list of mods will not get you to your power goal any cheaper then a engine swap with some supporting mods. Also cheap and boost do not go together, buck up and spend the money or just leave it stock.

stunnaben
12-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Why 12 psi? You sound like you're just throwing out numbers..... Go read kid.

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-23-2013, 01:09 AM

Everyone and their hot lil sister want to have 350 + hp on a drift or drag car. I see this all to often as people find a new hobby or fad, or simply are passionate about such hobby, but then, lack the patience to really dig in, and do their research and invest for the long haul. As mentioned prior to my post, there are many factors you need to consider if you wish to have a fun toy...

main thing I consider when building a project, is determining what it will be used for. next is the budget I have to invest into it, to achieve that goal.

The ka24de is a strong engine. it is NOT a motor. motors indicate electrical, engine is mechanical. At least start by learning the correct technical nomenclature.

you can invest as little or as much into the engine as possible, depending on how deep your pockets are. what is it you are going to do with it? you are going to have a 400 hp daily driver? youll dump 2500 in the engine before you know it. Priority is important. No sense in buying forged pistons and connecting rods, when you dont even balance the crankshaft, line bore and hone, deburr and clean the other parts... Ideally, it is a very bad idea to half ass anything that is mechanical, so start by taking a big breathe and be patient. The more patient you are now, the more satisfied you will be in the end, when it is all done right, and you dont throw a rod thru your hood.

Start small, stick to your goal. budget should be the last concern as far as priority. if you dont have $ to invest, then dont build a toy. set aside 2500-5000 bucks to get you started, and take that amount and prioritize your upgrades. This is why car tuners work in stages... stage one, two, three, and so on. You cant put stage three parts in a stage one block and expect to have a reliable hot rod. its just unrealistic.

start over, take your budget, goal, and a list of priorities, and start from there. For a DD hot rod, start with some wheels, tires, brakes, some suspension, maybe seats, shift knob, or ecu modifications with exhaust and intake upgrades. to start. keep it simple, again.

Well, that's what I want to know. I want to keep the price as low and possible. So I will definitely keep the felpro gasket in mind. I was just looking for a kit that is affordable but also lasts. Im scared to go thru ebay and get it that's why. Other thing is that, I don't know much about rebuild, but I just believe my motor would need one if Im gunna be running boost. So let me rephrase my question: Whats the most affordable thing to do in order to push 350hp? What would I need to get in order to run that power with probably 12psi on 91octane? Im just looking for the cheapest route in order to boost my KA24de without blowing the motor.

If you are looking to keep price low as possible I suggest finding an engine, that is already built, for you to swap. Investing a grand into machine work on the block is not likely your budget route.... but machining can get expensive, along with labor and high quality parts, and a thing Ive noticed over the years is, the more expensive the parts in the project, the more expensive the repairs can be, and labor to set up properly. It takes time, and tuning, and dyno tests, etc... its all experience you are getting when you go to a tune shop. best to start doing your homework now, which will only serve you in the long haul. unless ofc you are jsut looking for a 400 hp car you can ride in, just buy one set up that way. thats my .02 about that. the best way to increase power from a non turbo N/A engine is to keep it N/A, when you are on a budget. turbos, timers, boost controllers, intercoolers, all add up fast, and before you know it, your past the cost of a set of good cams, an ecu, intake and exhaust, which you could have done otherwise. Turbo on a N/A engine takes a bit of work, is what I mean, for one the engine is DESIGNED for non turbo. with out blowing your motor you said and keep it as cheap as possible, lol yea... good luck there. not saying its impossible, but I get the feeling you are NOT a mechanic or experienced person with mechanical.

why not just slap on some nitro and get your fix as you need, and save a bit of $. last time I checked, it was a bit cheaper to add nitro compared to a turbo setup. both can be done safely to add efficiency to a car or more hp, but you target a certain hp not for the faint of heart. Your Engine will need some serious love and work. so just sit tight. trust me, if you listen to the guys on this forum and keep it cool, youll be much happier in the end, when you are driving down the strip with your friends and you dont blow your shit up...

simple things:
forged is better that cast, so dont buy cheap connecting rods or pistons. and find pistons with a lower level of silicon in them... Id like you to find out why that is, especially when you are considering turboing your non turbo engine. did you know that turbo engines have less compression that N/A engines? do you know why this is? do you know to what HP it is acceptable NOT to buy a standalone ecu.? what are you going to tune it with? got a laptop and nistune? do you even have a garage you can store your project in and work on it late nights for months with your friends? and youll want to run high octane in your car dude... why buy the cheap shit? its the chemical reaction from the petro that gives you the power. 12 psi is a good bit of pressure for a N/A engine as well... best read up son. there are tons of great technical sections, articles, and how toos on this site alone, let alone what you can find on google. example, today I found the entire fsm for each s chassis from 89-98 and dl'd them to my hd. do you have your fsm and have you even looked at it? things to consider is all. Dont take it personal, hope im not rude, but im honest, you gotta read up, and do your research.

best of luck. im rambling cause its late and i really need to go to bed.

DJ-of-E
12-23-2013, 01:55 AM
All I can say is you're only 22 years old.

Live life, enjoy the car as is. Don't like the performance? It's cheaper just to buy a 350z than a track 240sx.

Frank_Jaeger
12-23-2013, 04:24 PM
The ka24de is a strong engine. it is NOT a motor. motors indicate electrical, engine is mechanical. At least start by learning the correct technical nomenclature.
I literally zoned in on this one sentence out of your post.

:picardfp:

zerodameaon
12-23-2013, 04:57 PM

From google.
mo·tor
ˈmōtər/Submit
noun
a machine, esp. one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.

motor - definition of motor by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/motor)
mo·tor
2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power

Would you like me to go on or do you understand how much of an idiot you sound like?

GroundPerformance
12-23-2013, 05:10 PM
You guys all made my day.. THanks!

DJ-of-E
12-23-2013, 05:20 PM
In a strictly physics sense an engine converts energy into mechanical work.
A motor is a subset of engines that produce motion as the mechanical work.

So zerodameaon is technically correct.

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-23-2013, 06:56 PM
lolz google?

here is something a lil more legit, imo.

care to bash away.

Search -- Encyclopedia Britannica (http://www.britannica.com/search?query=engine)

vs

Search -- Encyclopedia Britannica (http://www.britannica.com/search?query=motor)

I stand my ground on that. bust still, either way, people call it motor engine, its all the same.

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-23-2013, 06:57 PM
In a strictly physics sense an engine converts energy into mechanical work.
A motor is a subset of engines that produce motion as the mechanical work.

So zerodameaon is technically correct.

I guess... since you put it that way. :hug: but still its taking chemical energy to make the work to turn the crank. :)

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-23-2013, 07:00 PM
From google.
mo·tor
ˈmōtər/Submit
noun
a machine, esp. one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.

motor - definition of motor by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/motor)
mo·tor
2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power

Would you like me to go on or do you understand how much of an idiot you sound like?

yes please do... :wackit::wackit::wackit::wackit:

ahh and just to add, to the legitimacy of your post, just because its on google doenst mean its true. I mean, we all know it wasnt really aliens... but it was aliens... come on.

technically, its a machine... but still both an engine and a motor. its true...

zerodameaon
12-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Wait a moment are you by chance GarageMakS14 or just our new forum troll?

Han
12-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Dont forget the flux capacitor. You're definitely going to want that later after you realize the mess you got yourself into

signals13
12-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Patience and the know how are two things that you will need to tear you're car down and put it back together. Checkout ka-t.org/forums great bunch of information for many types of builds good luck.

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-24-2013, 12:48 PM
From google.
mo·tor
ˈmōtər/Submit
noun

mo·tor

Nothing more to add?

I just wanted to post this up in case you actually never read it.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/1989/1989.pdf

I swear so help me god if you fucking call it a motor one more time,....

READ the table of contents!!!! MOTOR doesn't exist, except in the certified lable, NISSAN MOTORS, as a corporation name.

PHYSICS wise, referring to the device which takes THE chemical energy and makes the MECHANICAL work, NISSAN and others, call it an ENGINE......
come on, no offense and all, but you stuck your head out there. :cops:
I dont hate ya.... so dont take it personally.

even on your forums here, the other section to this techtalk forum, its called engine tech, not motor tech. seeing a techncial trend here?

zerodameaon
12-24-2013, 03:15 PM
The KA is a stout motor, with some work they can put out good power for only being a I4. Happy? Nissan may call it one thing but you were not referring to only Nissan and do not try to say you were because you would be lying.

And nice try with the FSM, motor is mentioned 250, a few of those times it refers to their name.

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-24-2013, 03:26 PM
The KA is a stout motor, with some work they can put out good power for only being a I4. Happy? Nissan may call it one thing but you were not referring to only Nissan and do not try to say you were because you would be lying.

And nice try with the FSM, motor is mentioned 250, a few of those times it refers to their name.

R u serious? lolz ?

Did you even click the link, nvm, ill post a screen shot so we all can see and before I do that, Ill take the time to draw a few pretty lil circles around the clues that lead me to my idiocy, as you so clearly insinuate.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/ibstillaweiner/nissan.png

and yes, even though my initial response to about a ka24de, to the op, that specifically is an engine.

put the hot glue gun down, and step away from the fumes... :Owned:

zerodameaon
12-24-2013, 03:49 PM
You are the one who needs to step away from whatever you are smoking. You are arguing semantics, and at this point I no longer think you are a troll but dead serious.

You sir are the one who is :Owned:

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-24-2013, 03:53 PM
OH!
Now I get it,
YOU'RE are the troll.

Thanks for pointing this out. You can have whatever opinion you want. Fly safe my friend!

< Seriously hopes there is a block function in this forum... or else Im forced to remember exactly who the fucking retards are.

zerodameaon
12-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Go head block me, we need to get this thread back on the topic of rebuilding this guys motor anyways.

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-24-2013, 03:57 PM
perhaps instead sir, I should draw a long line and arrow pointing to the circles on the fsm? I mean, nissan made the ENGINE, and they made the MANUAL, maybe it is all a misprint, like on every single fucking fsm they ever printed. I wonder what chevy and ford, and jaguar call it too, in their fsm's, should I continue to allow you to dig yourself in a lil deeper? I would love to, but i really dont have time to waist anymore, I have proven my point.

maybe youll take wiki, which is not a valid source of factual information, but rather a knowledgeable source of information...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nissan_engines

funny, theres that word again, relating to what did you call it again? a motor?

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-24-2013, 03:58 PM
its called an engine... please refrain from the trolling eh?

zerodameaon
12-24-2013, 04:06 PM
You are grasping at straws, grasping at straws and nothing more.

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-24-2013, 04:07 PM
^

plus ten characters just to post up the troll.

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-24-2013, 04:20 PM
ok ok Ill stop being such a prick about it. but seriously, you should learn to read for one, and how to specifically dictate what the information tells you, and for two, get some comprehension skills, which apply directly to interpreting data, and for three, read this. The word ENGINE comes from:

[Middle English engin, skill, machine, from Old French, innate ability, from Latin ingenium; see gen- in Indo-European roots.]

[from Old French engin, from Latin ingenium nature, talent, ingenious contrivance, from in-2 + -genium, related to gignere to beget, produce]

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/engine
internal-combustion engine - definition of internal-combustion engine by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/internal-combustion+engine)

now stop being a lil punk about it, nomenclature is specific. motors are used by people who do not know their ENGLISH... or their ENGINEERING. funny how the word engine is in that... but I bet ya 10$ you or some other yahoo will come in here all like, YO MANG THATS A MOTOR>... and being so, you have held your point, and I have held mine. I just happen to have an education, one which I adhered to quite fondly being as open minded as I am. Im also wise enough to know, that I cannot argue with ignorance and this is clearly a situation I have to be the bigger guy and walk away. Keep on calling it a motor, anyone who does know their shit, will simply shake their head at you, every time you call it a motor.

I bet you just googled that shit, and be like, I know what Im talking about! I own this shit!

zerodameaon
12-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Look I can copy paste from that same spot. People are not shaking their head at me, they are shaking it at you.

motor [ˈməʊtə]
n
1. (Engineering / Automotive Engineering)
a. the engine, esp an internal-combustion engine, of a vehicle
b. (as modifier) a motor scooter
2. (Engineering / Electrical Engineering) Also called electric motor a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy by means of the forces exerted on a current-carrying coil placed in a magnetic field
3. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) any device that converts another form of energy into mechanical energy to produce motion

Also if I am a little punk, what does that make you?

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Look I can copy paste from that same spot. People are not shaking their head at me, they are shaking it at you.

motor [ˈməʊtə]
n
1. (Engineering / Automotive Engineering)
a. the engine, esp an internal-combustion engine, of a vehicle
b. (as modifier) a motor scooter
2. (Engineering / Electrical Engineering) Also called electric motor a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy by means of the forces exerted on a current-carrying coil placed in a magnetic field
3. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) any device that converts another form of energy into mechanical energy to produce motion

Also if I am a little punk, what does that make you?

you must be american.... lolz my bad! :rofl:

zerodameaon
12-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Oh sorry did not notice we were arguing Early Modern English here. Which I think at the time of Early Modern English the concept of electric motors and internal combustion engines was not very wide spread, and sure as fuck was not wide spread during the times of Middle English.

Are you from England, transplanted to Sacramento? If you are you will realize that us Americans have our own dictionaries and talk quite a bit different then anyone from across the pond.

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-24-2013, 04:49 PM
its called English, for a reason dipshit... lol and AMERICANS are supposed to speak it too. maybe you should take some English classes at your local community college? yes?

and tbh, dude, youre a moron at this point, if you cannot see the validity in my stand. The word was created far before anyone ever had electricity... or motors... I think you should get a refund on that American education you got there. what a waist.

zerodameaon
12-24-2013, 04:53 PM
its called English, for a reason dipshit... lol and AMERICANS are supposed to speak it too. maybe you should take some English classes at your local community college? yes?

and tbh, dude, youre a moron at this point, if you cannot see the validity in my stand. The word was created far before anyone ever had electricity... or motors... I think you should get a refund on that American education you got there. what a waist.

That bold part after you just get done attempting to bash me over my education shows me you do not know your hand from your ass.

EDIT: FYI there are these things called dialects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_English

di·a·lect
ˈdīəˌlekt/Submit
noun
a particular form of a language that is peculiar to a specific region or social group.

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-24-2013, 05:00 PM
That bold part after you just get done attempting to bash me over my education shows me you do not know your hand from your ass.

EDIT: FYI there are these things called dialects.
North American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_English)

di·a·lect
ˈdīəˌlekt/Submit
noun
a particular form of a language that is peculiar to a specific region or social group.

I just want to quote this, for the day you come back, after you have learned ENGLISH, for reconciliation.

You mad bro?

zerodameaon
12-24-2013, 05:03 PM
No I like you, its funny to see someone try so hard and yet still be dead wrong. When are you going to come back from learning English? You need far more work then I do.

StupidMonkeyBeSpankinIt
12-24-2013, 06:22 PM
No I like you, its funny to see someone try so hard and yet still be dead wrong. When are you going to come back from learning English? You need far more work then I do.

right, its not an engine.... whodathought?

id love to meet you in person. looking forward to it :P

dorkidori_s13
12-25-2013, 01:09 AM
Done! Over! Locked!