PDA

View Full Version : How to register out-of-state car in California?

240meowth
12-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Hello, new here.

I've never purchased an out-of-state car before and wanted to run by you guys to see if there's any hidden fees or something that I need to look out for.

I am helping a friend to buy a 2006 honda civic with Idaho plates. The owner just drove it down from Idaho and the registration will expire in Idaho in a month. What's the process of getting it registered in california?

-I've read you have to read the emissions saying that it meets 50-state emission requirement?

-of course I have to smog the car

-go down to DMV fill out the title transfer

what else?

wangan_cruiser
12-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Ask dmv what else u need to do.

Swiffly_Swan
12-13-2013, 03:34 PM
A bill of sale is needed along with a copy of the current Idaho registration. The DMV will also inspect and match all VINs. After all info is processed, the DMV will issue you your new CA title & plates. I just registered my Florida state s14 to California. :) You can also request a Temporary Operating Permit or (TOP) if your car doesn't pass smog. It's nowhere near as complicated as people think.

240meowth
12-13-2013, 03:39 PM
A bill of sale is needed along with a copy of the current Idaho registration. The DMV will also inspect and match all VINs. After all info is processed, the DMV will issue you your new CA title & plates. I just registered my Florida state s14 to California. :) You can also request a Temporary Operating Permit or (TOP) if your car doesn't pass smog. It's nowhere near as complicated as people think.

What is a bill-of-sale? i will be buying the car from a private party that's here in california.

Nevermind, found this, so just fill it out?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg135.pdf

240meowth
12-13-2013, 03:49 PM

Also, was the fees scary? How much did it come out to?

Swiffly_Swan
12-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Also, was the fees scary? How much did it come out to?
I thought the fees were going to empty my pockets lol. But to my suprise, i ended up only paying $143 out the door. Thats because the previous owner had just paid the registration in FL back in September 2013 and i transferred it last month. I told the DMV that i paid $500 for the s14 to avoid expensive CA taxes. Also, No proof of insurance is needed either.

Swiffly_Swan
12-13-2013, 04:12 PM
But since his tags are about to expire, they are going to charge you for the registration too.

fliprayzin240sx
12-14-2013, 06:18 AM
What usually kicks your ass when you buy a car and register it is the sales tax. So if you can convince the seller to write a lower price on bill of sale or title (some states have a bill of sale attached to the title), the lower you'd have to pay for sales tax.