PDA

View Full Version : Which ECU would be better for RB25 Z32 swap

Matt300ZXT
12-08-2013, 12:01 PM
I've been doing some reading on what's necessary for doing the swap. It doesn't seem too tricky, but I do have a question about which ECU to use. I have seen instructions on Nistune's site about a few modifications needed to an 8 bit ECU from a Z32 to run the RB25. I am comfortable with those mods as I've soldered before, built guitar amps, etc so it's not a problem.

However, Wiring Specialties, who I'd buy a new harness from, says theirs was originally designed for the RB25 ECU, but a few minor mods could be made to make it run on a Z32 ECU.

I was curious, from personal experience, not hearsay, or from people who tune cars, which do you think would be better? The RB25 I'm getting is a Series 2.

12-16-2013, 05:48 AM
The hearsay is that it's tougher to tun an actual rb ecu if you keep the variable cam timing, the 8-bit z32 ecu being the easiest option, but by no means the most effective or fine grained

Matt developed nistune for all the rb ecus, so they do have plenty of experience tuning them in aussieland -- guess it's also a matter of availabilty, north america got most of the z32

RB2.5
01-01-2014, 09:15 AM
I hear the Adaptronic unit works well, ask these guys:
http://zilvia.net/f/advertiser-announcements-feedback/545010-garage-life-adaptronics-plug-play-select-ecu.html

LeLyn
01-05-2014, 09:44 AM
I just finished an rb25det neo swap into my 240z. According to the people i spoke to, the rb ecu is the best bet because it retains the variable valve timing function. I dont believe the z32 ecu will control that function. As far as tunabilaty goes, im running a 2000 rb25 engine out Of a second generation Stagea (kind of like a skyline station wagon). According to nistune, the first gen stagea ecu can not be modified using ine of there daughter boards. The second gen unit like i have can be modded. Another thing to keep an eye on. Good luck with your project, i barely finished mine, so i dont have enough miles on it to give a really goox review, but in this short time ive had it running, i absolutely love it.