PDA

View Full Version : s14 cluster problem

IceMochaBowl
11-08-2013, 02:11 AM
so the right side of my cluster isn't working. speedometer odometer gas gauge.. the lights all work but the meters themselves don't.
i noticed some of the metal strips on the back of the cluster have been fried and thats what is causing the meters not to work.
i tried throwing a friends cluster in to try that out.. when i put in the last plug in the back of the cluster it fried his too!!!
any idea on what wiring is the problem? bad ground somewhere? anything would help.. thanks in advance for the help!

jr_ss
11-08-2013, 05:49 AM
Perhaps you should look into your wiring and find what has grounded out and caused the issue to begin with rather than throwing parts at it. You'll have some snipped wires or bare wires touching each other. Are you lowered? Have you checked your wiring harness above the tire?

IceMochaBowl
11-08-2013, 04:08 PM
It is lowered. I checked the wiring above the tire a while back. It had been cut so I tried cleaning them all up and put some wire loom over it. I may have missed one or two. Do you know of a way to test it once I believe the wiring is handled? Other than risking another clusters life by plugging it all in..

jr_ss
11-08-2013, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't limit your search to just twelve tire well. Check inside underneath the dash too. I'd also look behind the cluster. Look for haphazard wiring tapped into factory circuits as well. Trace and verify where they go to. If you haven't owned this car for its entirety then who knows what a previous owner has done to it.