PDA

View Full Version : s13 intercooler pieced

ProjectPanda13
11-07-2013, 09:57 AM
I am wanting to put together an intercooler with the following parts.

400HP Garrett High Density Intercooler Core w/ATP Cast End Tanks (http://www.aptuning.net/400HP_Garrett_High_Density_Intercooler_Core_w_ATP_ p/atp-int-001.htm)

and

Announcing our newly designed MAF Housing for NISSAN 300ZX & INFINITY J30 | MRP Machine Shop, LLC (http://mrpmachineshop.com/2013/01/26/announcing-our-newly-designed-maf-housing-for-nissan-300zx-infinity-j30/)

Piping will be made by a local fabrication shop.

I am wanting a quality kit with a blow-through maf. Opinions?

Thanks,
-Dave

Mikester
11-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I think the blow-through MAFS is a great idea to explore... but the rest is overpriced and a waste of money. There is nothing that Garrett IC does that a knockoff can't for 1/2 the price or less.

I also think that you gave no info as to what it's intended to be installed on; power/performance goals etc.

If you're looking for 400hp, DO NOT pay attention to random numbers quoted on an IC ad... Saying an IC can 'flow 400hp' means nothing- MANY IC's can flow 400hp worth of air volume. And there is a lot more than the air volume travelling thru the IC that determines total output.

Can you be more specific?

ProjectPanda13
11-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I think the blow-through MAFS is a great idea to explore... but the rest is overpriced and a waste of money. There is nothing that Garrett IC does that a knockoff can't for 1/2 the price or less.

I also think that you gave no info as to what it's intended to be installed on; power/performance goals etc.

If you're looking for 400hp, DO NOT pay attention to random numbers quoted on an IC ad... Saying an IC can 'flow 400hp' means nothing- MANY IC's can flow 400hp worth of air volume. And there is a lot more than the air volume travelling thru the IC that determines total output.

Can you be more specific?

Sorry, so my car is more of a DD + weekend track car. Running a s15 turbo. I like the Garrett core because of its small size and efficiency. If I am not going with a custom setup, I'd get a greddy or a blitz FMIC. I don't have anything against ISIS or CXRacing, I just don't prefer it. GT2871 is a future upgrade with a power goal of 350whp.

Whether the Garrett core can flow 400hp or not, is not a selling point, I know that many DSM guys, along with Genesis, and other car like this core. I just figured, if I am going to have new pipes made for a blow-through maf, I'd just get a nice core.

I know many things like brand vs cost plays a big role when people buy parts, like my Cusco control arms vs say ISIS (again nothing wrong with them). But for this particular situation, I am aiming for small core size, with good flow and cooling. I may end up just buying a greddy or blitz kit.

Thanks,
-Dave

Mikester
11-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Dave,

For what you're looking at paying, a complete GReddy (or comparable) kit with a small amount of fab-work to accommodate a flow-thru MAFS would be the way to go.

I understand what you mean, and I have no qualms about knocking many POS ISIS, Godspeed, CX etc parts... I have very few, and none of them move or keep me connected to the road lol... I'm right there with you in terms of 'getting what you pay for' lol

BTW, a good turbine that will get you 350whp+ easily is the Tomei M7960... Kit is complete with lines & everything needed... Overall- cheaper than the 2871. 2871 is MEAN and PROVEN... and BB vs. the JB 7960- but the Tomei turbines seems pretty BA... I have the M8270 and love it...

Still thinking for a semi-traditional FMIC setup, even with a flow-thru MAFS & brand-name kit.... The KISS concept would be the most effective & cheapest way for you to go...