PDA

View Full Version : You got a job, you make the bills, why are you driving a 240sx?

240meowth
11-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi, new here, my turbo blew up last night; true story. I need some feedback on why you guys are driving 240sx's and why I should keep her instead of getting a Ferrari.

For me:

To Keep:
-I know everything about the car and I've touched every bolt
-I know exactly how the car will behave when I drive her at her limit
-I'm sentimental - I've had the same s13 for 13 years

Not to Keep:
-It is old and completely beat up to the limit with faded paint and battle scars
-It is getting too expensive to maintain (case in point need to replace turbo)
-Ferrari is much faster stock

Zilmatic
11-05-2013, 08:00 PM
-It is getting too expensive to maintain (case in point need to replace turbo)

yet you can afford a ferrari...?

http://cdn.arwrath.com/1/115242.gif

future
11-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Don't. That's why I got rid of it

Worst thing I did was buy a 2nd. Best thing I did was sell them both

Agent S14
11-05-2013, 08:56 PM
I finally graduated and got a real career, yet I still drive my s14 I love my car had it since 17 took me to school, work and when my mom got ill and i visited her in the hospital,my repairs are very very minimal. I just do minor replacement parts and maintenance. My s14 has been with me through the tough and good times in my life.

The Dude
11-05-2013, 09:09 PM
I was in the same boat. I just traded mine in for a new Gallardo. The guy at the Lambo dealership only wanted to give me 5k for it, but I showed him my megan racing suspension and ca18 and he offered me 6.5k. Overall, the Gallardo handles about the same but it is quite a bit faster in a straight line. I got some idiot to trade me his xxr wheels for my shitty stock Lambo wheels. I put a "panty dropper" banner on the windshield as well. Overall, I think I made the correct decision.

By the way, the "new" guy has been here since 2001 and has over 2000 posts.

Corbic
11-05-2013, 09:15 PM
I was in the same boat. I just traded mine in for a new Gallardo. The guy at the Lambo dealership only wanted to give me 5k for it, but I showed him my megan racing suspension and ca18 and he offered me 6.5k. Overall, the Gallardo handles about the same but it is quite a bit faster in a straight line. I got some idiot to trade me his xxr wheels for my shitty stock Lambo wheels. I put a "panty dropper" banner on the windshield as well. Overall, I think I made the correct decision.

Broke ass bitch. Shits for posers. I'm looking to trade mine in for a F40, shits legit.

Going to do a twin super charger swap with nitrous on E85. I don't want some shit turbos blowing up and that E85 will keep it hella cool. Then I'm going to get like sick Work T38s for it and shit with like double lips and slam it on some tight ass Ksports.

Flicktitty
11-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Honestly, you can pick up a Ferrari in the $30-40k Range now without too much effort might be able to get the less desirable ones cheaper.

My perspective, i'm still not "done" with it. No single digit time slip, No national recognition (always thought it would be cool to get in a mag), Still haven't seen how the car will go on kill, or look when it is perfect. By the time that comes the money tied up it would be stupid to sell, so something will just get added to the garage at that point.

FRpilot
11-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Indeed. I remember this poster when he used to have a picture of the meowth pokemon on his sig.

Corbic
11-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Indeed. I remember this poster when he used to have a picture of the meowth pokemon on his sig.

Shit, times have changed. 12 years ago, he'd have been 18 and all about that shit.

sidewaysil80
11-05-2013, 09:53 PM
I got tired of having to restore the car AND build it.

I spent 1.5 years building an s14 in a tight single car garage with hand tools (no compressor). After it got featured in modified (11/2012) I just felt like it was time to upgrade a little. I sold it and took a break then I picked up a z...newer, nothing rattles, looks cooler/newer (subjective), and doesn't carry as much of a negative stigma.

Davidna2fi
11-05-2013, 10:25 PM
It's called the Underdog syndrome... many people like to become superior with something that is challenge to make powerful, a good example is body building... is it really necessary in life to lift 200 lbs or squat 400 lbs in your life, does it benefit you in any way in your daily tasks for those desk jockey peeps that move a mouse around? The answer is no, the majority of tasks in society do not require anyone to lift that (maybe 50-100 lbs), but the person who is attempting to do the lift is satisfied and self glorifies his efforts and dedication to his sport of lifting heavy objects. By creating a vehicle from your creative efforts and unique vision, we get a self glorification by driving the car. If you never drive your car, but continue to build it, you become more likely to never be happy with it.

mechanicalmoron
11-05-2013, 10:29 PM
lolferarri.

three times as many cylinders, 10-200 times as expensive, power of a kat or just about any new car.

You're paying for that little rectangle with the horse.

If you really had the money to play with the rich bitches, you would have got your car painted when it started to look faded, you'd have the stuff to make it NOT rattle, you'd have a turbo today if it blew yesterday, etc.

Anyway, why no ferarri: it makes you a complete and utter bitch. And if you want to overpay, there's lots of companies that don't treat their customers like shit, which is my understanding of doing business with ferarri.

!Zar!
11-05-2013, 11:09 PM
240's are rad.

Cheap, fast, reliable. And all can be retained even once modded.

I only drive mine once every few months.

But when I do, it's awesome.

nujabe
11-05-2013, 11:40 PM
i agree ^^ i have a hate love relation ship but for some odd reason i can't seem to let mine go.i have a shit ton of money in to mine.But i feel the nostalgia when i look at it. Sure i could have had some thing newer but as i don't think it would be the same. even when i get old i want it under a tarp in the garage. i don't think there will ever be a car genre like our nissans again. when i mean that s13/s14/15/r32/r33/r34 these cars where made with some love and thought. now every thing is ultra plastic and crazy looking.

Felipe
11-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Some shit goes wrong on the ferrrrarizz its gona cost way more than just a turbo.

240meowth
11-06-2013, 03:11 AM
I have to say, driving the 240sx puts a smile on my face. It use to be my weekend car and on the weekdays I'd drive some Audi A6 shenanigans just so I look presentable. So many times I caught myself in the mirror smiling after taking and awesome turn in the rain or just scaring women and children.

240meowth
11-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Shit, times have changed. 12 years ago, he'd have been 18 and all about that shit.

I am still all about that shit bro. Meowth #1

Scherz Daddy
11-06-2013, 09:52 AM
I drive my 240 on the weekends. I drive my honda to work.

wangan_cruiser
11-06-2013, 11:03 AM
i dd mine just for work. any trip that involves out of town we use my pathfinder. hah all i care is it makes me happy when i drive it. ferrari? they are nice eye candy or be a pussy magnet. its nice to have one but id rather put that money for a house.

winter
11-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Had a Hyundai Genesis in 2011, insurance was bobo high ($768/mo).
Got another SR powered car (RX7) and got bored.
Got a second Hyundai Genesis a few years later, still high ($480/mo).

Now I accidentally found a really good deal on a 1JZ motorset and accidentally bought 2 really clean rolling shells (painted and caged, tubed), needed a daily...bought a 3rd S14.

Make more than double and a half comparing to most of my friends in the same field that I consider "better" with a degree (I don't have a degree).

I drive them because they're cheap and easy to fix, though I get tendencies to want to buy a brand new car...like the FRS which I might still get, but I'd rather pay in cash.

Debt free is the way to be.

Hatemy7
11-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Well I am broker, I do very well financially ( not trying to brag )

I am building an s13

I drive a x5 ( 2005 Paid off )-- best fucking car

Wife drives a Tahoe ( not paid off and it fucking sucks ass )

Overall it is just a good way to kill stress in my opinion.

it doesnt matter how much money you have make or have. You have it because you love it ( in my singing voice lol )

tqstarburst
11-06-2013, 01:22 PM
I own one because I'm just a wannabe Japanese drifter fanboy :bow::bow:

240KA
11-06-2013, 01:31 PM
OP probably just saw this video.
FERRARI PICK UP PRANK - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvH7jEpMdA)

i don't blame ya, man. i've been asking myself the same damn question the past few months. getting sick of my 240 and want something newer and faster.

why am i driving a 240sx still?
-cheap on gas
-don't worry about putting miles on it
-don't worry about the salt on the roads
-cheap on repairs

why i hate driving my 240sx.
-faded paint
-blown suspension
-it's slow (probably running on 3 cylinders )
-it vibrates at 60mph

BossHogg
11-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Had a Hyundai Genesis in 2011, insurance was bobo high ($768/mo).
Got another SR powered car (RX7) and got bored.
Got a second Hyundai Genesis a few years later, still high ($480/mo).

Now I accidentally found a really good deal on a 1JZ motorset and accidentally bought 2 really clean rolling shells (painted and caged, tubed), needed a daily...bought a 3rd S14.

Make more than double and a half comparing to most of my friends in the same field that I consider "better" with a degree (I don't have a degree).

I drive them because they're cheap and easy to fix, though I get tendencies to want to buy a brand new car...like the FRS which I might still get, but I'd rather pay in cash.

Debt free is the way to be.

lol same here. Cash is king. College is overrated. The s13 to me has sentimental value and it is really one of the only cars I even like period. I have had a s13 in my life for 21 years. I wouldn't call my self a car guy so to speak. I just like what I like and that is it, mostly nissans and a few other makes/models. But my s13 is my second hobby. Stacking cash and investing is my first. I get more satisfaction watching my accounts grow than satisfying short term happiness with car stuff. Determination and discipline keep me from wiping out my shit with over the top car stuff that will just be old in 10 years. I try to keep a happy medium. Might as well wait till the right time comes to get a new expensive project car. My philosophy is a 2018 GTR will most likely be better than a 2013. So just wait it out and take care of business. My s13 will be more than fun enough to hold me over in the mean time. Sometimes yahoo japan makes things reeeeal hard though lol. Once this car is "done" (for the most part) it will be straight investing from there on out. Keeps me motivated. Live like a bum now only to retire early and do whatever the hell you want later. That is how I see life. Stay single my friend, and don't have kids.

winter
11-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Wanting success more than sleep helps. It's sad that most of my friends have all the tools to be successful and just let it slip. It's depressing actually. Oh well. More power to them. I had a bunch of unfortunate events that lead to my demise to not being able to finish school (Thanks SallieMae) and I ended up just paying off the loan through hard work, and now doing what I love for pretty good money. Still love paying for things in cash and seeing expressions on faces going to bank with multiple checks to deposit.

IIIXziuR
11-06-2013, 02:55 PM
How are you guys so successful at life.
I don't understand.

winter
11-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Game Genie, bruh.

240meowth
11-06-2013, 03:42 PM
lol same here. Cash is king. College is overrated. The s13 to me has sentimental value and it is really one of the only cars I even like period. I have had a s13 in my life for 21 years. I wouldn't call my self a car guy so to speak. I just like what I like and that is it, mostly nissans and a few other makes/models. But my s13 is my second hobby. Stacking cash and investing is my first. I get more satisfaction watching my accounts grow than satisfying short term happiness with car stuff. Determination and discipline keep me from wiping out my shit with over the top car stuff that will just be old in 10 years. I try to keep a happy medium. Might as well wait till the right time comes to get a new expensive project car. My philosophy is a 2018 GTR will most likely be better than a 2013. So just wait it out and take care of business. My s13 will be more than fun enough to hold me over in the mean time. Sometimes yahoo japan makes things reeeeal hard though lol. Once this car is "done" (for the most part) it will be straight investing from there on out. Keeps me motivated. Live like a bum now only to retire early and do whatever the hell you want later. That is how I see life. Stay single my friend, and don't have kids.

Are you a Taurus?! Seems like such a Taurus thing to do.

This thread has been fruitful. Which spawns to the new discussion: why do average income people drive shitty 240sx and spend money on them when we can buy some fancy car like Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Audi, etc. for the same or even less money.

For me I had an '02 Audi A6 quattro, but it was just a mammoth to drive around and the fuel was a pain in the ass. But it sure gets the womens... I sold it and kept the s13 after i got my motorcycle.

winter
11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
I took a lot of things into consideration... prior experience, economical choice, affordable parts, etc. It's so easy to find used parts / ghetto parts from local forums and then get by with just that. Also, still beats paying premium for a Euro. At the end of the day... I drive less than 7-10 miles a day. Not trying to impress anyone.

240meowth
11-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I don't understand.

Bro, no matter what there will always be someone who's more successful than you. The thing to keep in mind is that you have to race against yourself and have people who are there to motivate you even if that means yourself. The worst thing you can do is to lose that motivation*.

Takes preparation, smarts, and some luck.

*disclaimer: if you are 90 years old you should just learn to be happy with what you have instead of trying to do back breaking work in coal mines in order to make a few extra bucks.

simmode1
11-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I keep the 240 around because even though I can afford a newer sports car like a 335i, I'd constantly be too worried about beating on it because it would surely be my daily driver and only car.

Additionally, while I love sporty coupes, I'm starting a family so I need some bigger & more practical like a truck or SUV. The cheapass 240 will hang around to serve as my weekend car/disposable little whipping dog to beat on whenever I want to cut loose.

But there is also no reason I also wouldn't substitute the 240 for some other equally disposable 80's or 90's FR or MR sports car like Miata, MR2 turbo, MKIII Supra turbo or turbo Z31. They're all about the same price range.

Bobafreak
11-06-2013, 05:49 PM
I got rid of both s13 s14s recently. I just grew up and got tired of tickets. Im happy with my Lexus but since part investments are adding up alot into that now. I would like to get a dd and keep the mileage low on the Lexus. So now i may look for a s14 to dd. Nothing fancy. Not even coils and wheels. just a standard daily. Shit i may buy a civic 4 dr. Cant beat a full tank for 25.00.

Silverbullet
11-07-2013, 06:28 AM
I simply can't afford a high end sports car like an M3 or GTR with my current budgeting, or atleast can't justify that type of spending on an automobile.

Most of my salary from my job goes to my real estate ventures, and the rest are spent on personal bills, and going out to eat and such (i eat out a lot). I'm also trying to save up to go backpacking in Europe after I decide to quit my job.

I figure my S13 will provide as much satisfaction as a high end vehicle, and is much cheaper to maintain. Truth of the matter is I don't even have that much money to finish my 240 as I'm just focused on other stuff in my life.

It all has to do with one's focus. If my focus is all about cars. Yeah, i could easily have that M3 or 911 or be running a competetive drift program (which was my plan after graduation while i was in college), but I find more value and personal gratification working on my entrepreneurial ventures, which is buying rental houses currently. I'm content with dailying my E39, with a drift car side proj.

dudermagee
11-07-2013, 06:36 AM
My 240 is more powerful, handles better, and is more reliable than any other comparable newer car that I would buy\afford.

tiggertsi
11-07-2013, 07:52 AM
i've always liked 240's. always wanted one, always heard how good they handled out of the box. after getting one i can see why there is an attraction to these cars. and with that being said i honestly believe in another 5 - 10 years these cars will be considered "classics", of which i have owned and driven many cars that are considered just that.

Chronicle
11-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Overall, the Gallardo handles about the same but it is quite a bit faster in a straight line.

Do you really think so? If so, that really puts things in perspective to how great the S Chassis really is as a base. I'm certain you had quite a bit of suspension work before you made the trade though.

t_rempel
11-07-2013, 11:10 AM
^might want to reread the entire post you quoted.

I still drive mine because it's cheap, fun, and it has a lot of sentimental value for my wife and I. Aside from that, whenever I've considered moving on, I always return from test drives liking my car even more.

Chronicle
11-07-2013, 11:18 AM
^might want to reread the entire post you quoted.

I still drive mine because it's cheap, fun, and it has a lot of sentimental value for my wife and I. Aside from that, whenever I've considered moving on, I always return from test drives liking my car even more.

I mean, "Megan racing suspension" is still kind of vague.

The Dude
11-07-2013, 11:59 AM
I mean, "Megan racing suspension" is still kind of vague.

I had all that megan shit on my car, arms, coilovers, the works. Gonna see if they make suspension parts for the gallardo. Already contacted godspeed and those fools dont. Pretty upsetting cuz I was hoping to have some baller suspension to go with my Lambo.

sw20>>s14
11-07-2013, 02:20 PM
I've gotten a few more cars since getting my most recent S14 in late 2006. Logic would argue that I should sell it and move on. Especially since I plan on adding another one to the stable in the near future.

I put a good amount of work into my S14, but I'm not gonna lie and act like it was a lot because a lot of you guys and your builds put me to shame.

I love my 240 and it still puts a smile on my face, but to be ABSOLUTELY honest, the underlying reason why I can't let go of mine is because I don't want it going to a fickle and trendy hipster that's going to put a roof rack on it, or sticker bomb the interior, or pull the fenders to shit until it looks like a half eaten onion ring, or purposely rust the hood, or dump the shit out of it so him and his friends can have a dick measuring contest of who's the lowest, etc.

THAT is my main motivator for holding onto it for dear life.

e1_griego
11-07-2013, 02:25 PM
My 240 is more powerful, handles better, and is more reliable than any other comparable newer car that I would buy\afford.

This is how I try to rationalize it, too.

And ultimately, if I ball it up, it's relatively cheap/easy to do a chassis swap.

IIIXziuR
11-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the advices, guys.
I guess I need to get motivated.
I'm going nowhere in life.

Def
11-07-2013, 02:36 PM
I could probably buy something quicker if I really wanted to, but I like to keep my hobby pretty cheap relatively speaking. Plus it's fun to tinker with the 240. I don't think twice about plasma cutting some stuff on it and breaking out the welder, which I enjoy. I wouldn't do that quite as easily on say a C6 Z06.

I have thought a few times about getting an FD3S, as I've always loved them, but I think it'd lose the cheap and easy to replace thing. Like my S13 caught on fire at the track - it sucked bad, but really wasn't that expensive to bring it back (which shall happen very soon).

xBtony
11-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Because it makes me smile. No other reason. I've had fast cars, comfy cars, nice clean cars, luxury cars, with heated seats and amazing ac and none of them made me smile as much as driving my shit box of a 240.

ejkisela
11-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I am an old man. I have been into cars since I could remember and driving/racing them since I was 16. S chassis wise, I have had one since 2001, different ones from CA19 gt3037s to the current SR TD06 20g sometimes T67 25G. I also had a missile red one up till this month; sold it to my broher. I don't drive mine everyday, I have a comfortable daily van for that.

It's a throw back for me. I am a ae86 guy (still have one) but love all cars. Like some of the above, I buy all stuff in cash. I have the ae86, 180sx, HiAce, Roadster, and a 00 spec Integra R.

I like the sound, the feel. The chassis is a little flexy, but with all the solid points in the suspension, it feels a lot better.

I like having purpose cars, so I guess that's why I have a few of them at any given time. I too thought about purchasing the new 86, but the motor is a deterrent for me. The rear seats are small too. Providing I have a seven year old, space back there is a necessity.

We live within our means. We invest, we have a faily large house that we own in Japan, and we are both professionals so it makes living a little easier. The cars are just toys to have fun.

I have always been told don't daily your race/beat up/otherwise hoon car. I have tried to stick to that for 22 years. I have always had at least two cars at one point.

Botoom line, they are like putting legos together and they don't break often. Awesome cost/performance ratio. Sr with some cams and a bolt on turbo is a great motor. Hell even stock they can do almost everthing you want them to do, and chassis is capable.

Mikester
11-08-2013, 08:03 AM
^^Sui???^^

I had a grip into my 180SX in Okinawa; and decided to strip it & bring everything home when I came back stateside in 2008. Since then, I've had the motor fully built; and completely re-did the 240 hatch I bought here (except for exterior- which is next) inside & from the wheels-up... It's not a daily- It's a garage queen I refer to as my fun-mobile...

It's a great way to blow off steam and a lot of fun to drive. Fully redone/improved interior, all the comforts including AC & a 400+hp SR under the hood. I drive a modest, paid-for 2004 Solara as a daily (33mpg @75mph on the freeway!) which has been virtually maintenance-free- and our 3rd car is a BMW 330i E90 sedan with all the bells & whistles.

I make more than enough to support the 240 now that I'm over the hump of buying everything I wanted for it... Knowing what I know now, I would have sold out & bought a used M3... but being as deep into the fun-mobile as I am these days; there's no real turning back lol

Besides, there is a certain amount of comfort in having a toy that I am intimately familiar with. Albeit- I'm 42 & getting to the point where working on cars is not the great fun it used to be. THIS is why I'm glad to be nearly ready to have the body work done and fully enjoy it.

fliprayzin240sx
11-08-2013, 08:49 AM
In the larger scheme of things...I dont have a car payment. Sure I've spend money on the car but it doesnt add up in my head to the depreciation value of buying a newer car, making payments on it and by the time you pay it off, its value is less than half what you paid for it. I myself is in that cross road right now. My S14 is put back together, putting decent enough power (420whp), wheels, suspension. It needs paint but dont really care too much about that. What kills me about the car is the lil things. It needs a new rack, tie rod ends, replace the rear window since the previous owner pulled all the defroster elements off and I'd need to fix the leaking rear quarter glass. I think I'm just more tired of working on it than anything else. Just need to accept that these cars are not gonna be perfect since they're simply old.

If I decide to replace it, I want either a G37 coupe($25-30K) or a C6 Z06($37-45K), but the whole car payment thing is whats keeping me away.

nathanong87
11-08-2013, 09:10 AM
I don't understand.

you, buy a ferrari.

240sxfan6882
11-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I've had mine since 2003 and i've added quite a bit of money to the engine/turbo/build. I still have just under 100k miles on the chassis, and the interior needs to be put back together and it needs paint again... but I sort don't care anymore. I just drive it everywhere and it has been reliable.

I really love it sometimes when I just boost it up and it feels so light, but when I get into newer vehicles I love the technology and more luxuries of modern stuff (maybe i've outgrown it after 10 years).
I'm looking at a BMW M235i and keeping an eye for 2015 STI or something new... but when I think of selling it I almost cringe at the thought.

It's a love/hate thing/

dudermagee
11-08-2013, 11:44 AM
If I got rid of my S14 for some reason, I would be getting a 240z.

double zero
11-08-2013, 01:32 PM

you sir speak the truth!!

spooled240
11-08-2013, 03:44 PM
If you have to ask, then sell it.

For me it was never an option to sell my s14 because it is car which is of great sentimental value to me.

cured13
11-10-2013, 06:36 PM
because still cannot afford thishttp://www.performance-car-guide.co.uk/images/L-Ginetta-G50-Road-Car.jpg

having job means working for minimum pay these days, even with College diploma in computer field.

AFSil80
11-10-2013, 06:56 PM
$30k can get you a couple decent cars, really.

You can do the dumb thing and get a new STi...or do the smart thing and get a 996 Turbo.

Silverbullet
11-11-2013, 06:59 AM
$30k can get you a couple decent cars, really.

You can do the dumb thing and get a new STi...or do the smart thing and get a 996 Turbo.

A new STi you can beat over and over w/out problems for a while and is financable.

The 996 and older will req maint and repairs at this point.

tricky_ab
11-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Um, I don't know... I always liked the look of S-Chassis cars since I had seen them sliding in the VHS Option video days.

There's two cars that I'd end up owning, and I already bought one. Next on the list is a BNR34.

For me, the parts are plenty. Its nice having the option of a large parts catalog that you can select from. I can buy things locally or import them from J-Land. There's still a lot of parts manufactures releasing/updating items.

Nice looking cars are still coming out of the woodwork, and in general...the community is still large.

AFSil80
11-11-2013, 08:32 AM
A new STi you can beat over and over w/out problems for a while and is financable.

The 996 and older will req maint and repairs at this point.

You can get a low mileage 996 for under 30k. And Porsche's have the reputation of having the least mechanical issues compared to all other manufacturers. Like anything else...you take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Also, if you finance a car, you're gonna end up paying more than that window sticker price in the end. As Mike (seasons) was saying earlier, it's better to just throw down cash.

K_style
11-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Because I am an addict.

collegekid
11-15-2013, 09:39 AM
New cars aren't worth shit after you pay them off. My friend bought a scion Tc with so many options and he will end up paying about 38k. Car is worth less than 20k now even with his low miles.

I could have taken the easy route and just gotten a FRS/BRZ. I still am thinking about it. But I am still in college. I have some government loans to pay off.

My S14 has everything it needs to run but I am choosing to take my time and do everything 100% correct. I am still considering having the car dipped just so every inch gets new paint.

I also like it because If I ever am in need of money, I can sell off some parts and just use that since the shell is worthless. If I had a new car I would have to sell it and that would suck ass.

My s14 is only worth it to me, and that is what I find so beautiful. Maybe later down the road I will buy a new sports car like a Brz or a new silvia if they ever make one.
I also am a firm believer in either buying a new car straight cash or just buying some old pos in cash.

imotion s14
11-15-2013, 10:10 AM
People with money lease their cars.

sw20>>s14
11-15-2013, 12:46 PM

True, but enthusiasts with money buy them. Unless you plan on keeping cars 100% stock during each lease period.

VROOOM
11-15-2013, 01:13 PM

the owner of the company i work for has a supercharged Range Rover, Bentley Flying Spur and a Ferrari Testarossa all paid for not leased.

Corbic
11-15-2013, 01:38 PM

False. People without money that want people to think they have money lease.

The 1% does whatever makes the most financial sense for their situation.

Matej
11-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I don't understand.
You are successful at life in my book!

I am writing a book about you. :)

udon!
11-15-2013, 02:46 PM
I can't afford a Ferrari but even if I could here's my explanation.

The reason why i own one is because I like Japanese car culture/Japan in general. Although i havent been to the promised land yet, id say that It's the most reasonable car to own/modify in murica if one so desires to attempt bringing the street drifting, wangan blasting, far fetched yet the most unique modifying, chain smoking (mid wangan run), touge tsuiso, slurping on udon! while listening to eurobeat blasting from the JDM vans at Daikoku futo, dickhead city street driving, final fantasy hair styling, culture to this continent.

ManoNegra
11-15-2013, 03:03 PM
It's been my experience that car people with money
jump on great deals and pay cash for their toys, always sell their cars for a profit,
have a garage with at least 5 different type of cool cars that they drive
once or twice a month, have a few cars at each of their various homes and
daily drive the most boring shit like a Jeep or minivan.

ineedone
11-15-2013, 03:05 PM

People with money have their employer lease their Mercedes for them.

Davidna2fi
11-16-2013, 07:45 PM

Truth... do some math and realize the headache and hassle is it to sell a used Euro luxury car and you'd end up leasing a BMW for under $300 a month and walk away from it hassle free. ..."Ain't nobody in H-town got time to sell their Benz"...
Just gotta consider the car as a bill and not a possession. Once you get that through your head, new car ever 2 yrs and no maintence BS... the $3-4K a year you spend on that car doesn't seem so bad. After about 2 yrs a new car drop in value at least $5K anyways.

collegekid
11-19-2013, 07:04 AM
False. People without money that want people to think they have money lease.

The 1% does whatever makes the most financial sense for their situation.

True. Every other business owner my dad knows all buy their cars brand new and keep them in amazing condition. They are the guys from the previous generation who take care of their shit no matter if it is a kia or a bentley.

I've never seen anyone with money not have ownership of their car. They either buy it from the start or lease and then buy it (usually a better deal).

Truth... do some math and realize the headache and hassle is it to sell a used Euro luxury car and you'd end up leasing a BMW for under $300 a month and walk away from it hassle free. ..."Ain't nobody in H-town got time to sell their Benz"...
Just gotta consider the car as a bill and not a possession. Once you get that through your head, new car ever 2 yrs and no maintence BS... the $3-4K a year you spend on that car doesn't seem so bad. After about 2 yrs a new car drop in value at least $5K anyways.

-what about the 14k you threw away in leasing out your expensive ass car? Based on $400 a month for 36 months, not even counting insurance or maintenance.
-The other advice you are trying to give people is only reasonable to people with disposable income. Most of Zilvia is on some kind of budget.

Food for thought
-How about we all live within our means? You don't need to be frugal and do anything to save pennies ( such as driving 5 miles to another store just to save 50 cents on something when you just lost that money on gas)

drift freaq
11-19-2013, 12:41 PM
It's been my experience that car people with money
jump on great deals and pay cash for their toys, always sell their cars for a profit,
have a garage with at least 5 different type of cool cars that they drive
once or twice a month, have a few cars at each of their various homes and
daily drive the most boring shit like a Jeep or minivan.

Spoken for truth. Seen it way to often. The concept that all people with money driver baller cars is a very media oriented deal. The new rich tend to drive expensive cars all the time. The previous generation though quite often had nice cars in the garage and drove something rather other ordinary on a daily basis.

sw20>>s14
11-19-2013, 12:47 PM
If you're fickle and not in love with the car, leasing still tops financing in terms of value prop. Especially with high end Euro cars, the depreciation far exceeds the price you pay to "rent" it.

It's also becoming more common for manufacturers to include basic maintenance packages for the life of the lease. And with so many attractive and competitive lease offers now a days, not many people fulfill their lease when done. They just move on to the next offer.

Hence, best deals out there IMO are 3 year lease returns from capricious and pretentious pricks that wanted a high dollar car, but didn't actually need it so it's been virtually untouched/undriven. Dealerships receive an inordinate amount of returns three years after the first release, get flooded, and prices drop precipitously.

drift freaq
11-19-2013, 01:11 PM
If you're fickle and not in love with the car, leasing still tops financing in terms of value prop. Especially with high end Euro cars, the depreciation far exceeds the price you pay to "rent" it.

It's also becoming more common for manufacturers to include basic maintenance packages for the life of the lease. And with so many attractive and competitive lease offers now a days, not many people fulfill their lease when done. They just move on to the next offer.

Hence, best deals out there IMO are 3 year lease returns from capricious and pretentious pricks that wanted a high dollar car, but didn't actually need it so it's been virtually untouched/undriven. Dealerships receive an inordinate amount of returns three years after the first release, get flooded, and prices drop precipitously.

I would tend to agree with this. I would add though if you want an Audi only own it under warranty. Actually that goes for a lot of modern luxury cars.

ayuaddict
11-21-2013, 12:10 PM
I currently own five cars. They are all old, ranging from 1973 to 1999.

I guess I could have easily instead bought a Ferrari or a new Lexus with the money I have into these cars.

I like old shitty cars.

FRpilot
11-21-2013, 12:18 PM
I like old shitty cars.

Me too, but only as toys.

Driving a newer car as a daily driver that you don't have to worry about breaking down or getting a ding on is comfortable.

silverarrow27
11-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Being my second car I owned growing up and it being the easiest and cheapest car to fix I've ever had. That is one reason why I still own a 240sx.

drift freaq
11-21-2013, 05:10 PM

I guess I could have easily instead bought a Ferrari or a new Lexus with the money I have into these cars.

I like old shitty cars.

I can completely relate to this. As I move to acquire a 1998 M3.

dudermagee
11-21-2013, 05:43 PM

I like old shitty cars.

I can relate.

I was going over the list of what I'm going to get next and it was all cars\trucks from the 70's-80's.

yetijeff
11-21-2013, 07:44 PM
I can relate.

I was going over the list of what I'm going to get next and it was all cars\trucks from the 70's-80's.

Lol I'm in the same boat. 1970 Cadillac, 1984 caprice, 1984 jeep cj7, 90 hatch 240 and a 93 vert 240. The only ones running are the caprice and the hatch lol. I could probably have a decent car if I just sold everything, it seems tho (since I just read what I typed lol) I am a hoarder haha

jesse_s13
11-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Because I haven't bought a subaru yet.

Plus I like to DD my 4runner shits cool!

mechanicalmoron
11-21-2013, 08:03 PM
I can't afford a Ferrari but even if I could here's my explanation.

The reason why i own one is because I like Japanese car culture/Japan in general. Although i havent been to the promised land yet, id say that It's the most reasonable car to own/modify in murica if one so desires to attempt bringing the street drifting, wangan blasting, far fetched yet the most unique modifying, chain smoking (mid wangan run), touge tsuiso, slurping on udon! while listening to eurobeat blasting from the JDM vans at Daikoku futo, dickhead city street driving, final fantasy hair styling, culture to this continent.

When you put it like that, 240s suck, thank god california will soon complete their finial solution (parting and crushing every last one).

udon!
11-22-2013, 02:40 AM
I see. I don't have Godspeed coils and gaystoens so unfortunately I cannot justify your reply.
It seems that you didn't like "240s" in the first place and you are just looking for your little slice of Internet where you can unleash your feelings for us "240" owners to see.

:)

Akito86
11-22-2013, 03:47 PM
If your in CA and "dislike/bothered" of your S chassis
Give me your address and I will take it~revive it, and give it the exciting life it deserves!

cgtdream
11-25-2013, 10:46 AM
I keep the 240 around because its payed off, works for what i want it to do, cheap ass insurance and its still fairly easy to fix it on my own verus a higher end car.

Shit the cheap insurance and the fact that its payed off is more of a reason to keep it versus a higher end car....

Although i am thinking of selling my prelude to get a higher end car...But my prelude is payed off with cheap insurance as well..Cost me 600 usd to insure both those vehicles alone for a year...Full coverage at that!

Corbic
11-25-2013, 10:20 PM
PIBmQLLqSLs

henrybello
11-26-2013, 01:29 AM
if you really have plenty of bucks, go buy a ferrari

http://ztheme.com (http://ztheme.com/)

sleepyS14se
11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
I enjoy my 240sx becuase of my workplace (huge distribution center for all auto parts/performance/auto paint).

I am able to get all my parts at cost + 5% markup which keeps my costs dirt cheap when i have to buy things for my s14.

Also my pay rate combined with owning a older vehicle fits me perfect because it costs me next to nothing to keep it up to par and in good condition. it also allows me to save tons of money by NOT making car payments and expensive insurance on a new car.

Davidna2fi
11-26-2013, 09:25 AM
True. Every other business owner my dad knows all buy their cars brand new and keep them in amazing condition. They are the guys from the previous generation who take care of their shit no matter if it is a kia or a bentley.

I've never seen anyone with money not have ownership of their car. They either buy it from the start or lease and then buy it (usually a better deal).

-what about the 14k you threw away in leasing out your expensive ass car? Based on $400 a month for 36 months, not even counting insurance or maintenance.
-The other advice you are trying to give people is only reasonable to people with disposable income. Most of Zilvia is on some kind of budget.

Food for thought
-How about we all live within our means? You don't need to be frugal and do anything to save pennies ( such as driving 5 miles to another store just to save 50 cents on something when you just lost that money on gas)

Lets put it into perspective, I'm talking top of the line V8 Euro Sedans and Grand Touring machines. I just checked on the MSRP of a new 2014 BMW 550i and it was over $64,000. Then I checked DEALERSHIP pricing on a 2012 BMW 550i... price listed was $52K. so in 2 years the value went down at least $10K leaving some wiggle room. Maintence is included in all BMWs and in owning for less than 3 yrs, I doubt there will be enough mileage or issues to warrant factoring any repair bills. Maybe one set of tires through ownership.

ZenkiKid
11-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Sentimental value.

You know how all of you guys have stories of your first car or the car you had in high school? Well thats what my fastback is for me.

The car barely moved 1000 miles in the past 2 years. I just keep it around because I just love the damn car too much.

word sux
11-30-2013, 04:15 PM
there is a hugggeee advantage to driving a beater if you commute into the city. when you drive a beater people gtfo of you your way. If I need to merge I just look for the newest shinyest benz and then bully my way in because I know when he sees me he is going get outta the way because he know I don't give a fuck about another scratch.

zeitgeist
12-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Make about 70k after taxes and still DD my slammed ragged looking S13. Its my first car

It's reliable, fun to drive, retains sentimental value and is good good on gas. People always think Im poor but Ive never been one to care what others think

I personally cant see myself spending 30k on an automobile.
Much rather use all that on travel, IRA, savings, education etc.

240SXK
12-01-2013, 10:31 AM
i drive a 2013 subaru brz as a daily, the 240 i just keep because it was the first car i've ever owned and will never part with it.

and it's fun to smash down people who think they are fast with their stock production cars.

Seraphim38
12-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Most executives I work with drive new luxury cars but I drive a widebody, built 240. And all of them know why; my car is obscenely over-powered and is the fastest car in our 320 employee company, by far. And my car continues to cost a lot even though the drive train and suspwnsion has been 100 percent uilt for the last year.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

simmode1
12-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Most executives I work with drive new luxury cars but I drive a widebody, built 240. And all of them know why; my car is obscenely over-powered and is the fastest car in our 320 employee company, by far. And my car continues to cost a lot even though the drive train and suspwnsion has been 100 percent uilt for the last year.

See, that's the way you do it. If you're gonna be a professional adult driving a POS 240 to work, it better be the baddest, meanest bitch in the parking lot or you're not doing it right.

Seraphim38
12-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Yup, 460whp sleeved solid lifters gtx3076r, z32 trans, full spl suspension with 3,600 dollar coilovers, 315/35/17 rear track tires carbon kevlar seat with harness. It is a badass commuter car.