your amount and send the difference to my shipper in
the united kingdom for the pick up in your location, i hope i
cantrust you with my balance and also you will be
contacting my shipper with all neccesary information
needed for pick up in your place i.e theactual
weight and exact dimension of the item. if this
terms are okayby you, do get back to me with the
following details like this :-Home Address... Full
Name on cheque... State... Zipcode... Country...
Telephone Number... Mobilephone number... Do get
back to me asap with this details for payment to be
made outto you immediately. Waiting to hearingfrom
you God Bless
mac

[email protected]

dvdevo
05-25-2004, 12:40 AM
some guy did that to me for my kyb agx on a local ad posting site.. =\ pretty weird.

Andrew Bohan
05-25-2004, 12:48 AM
that scam's been goin around for a while now.

AN89HATCH
05-25-2004, 02:38 AM
some guy also tryed that scam on me when I was selling one of my cars :rl:

airsoft
05-25-2004, 02:57 AM
i i, i, still don't get it...someone break it down for me !!! thanks, in debt to all who explain, airsoft

boro240
05-25-2004, 06:07 AM
http://personal.stevens.edu/~achadzyn/powerbook/

*edit: link fixed

Ghettokracker71
05-25-2004, 09:06 AM
I am missing something here too ??? Boro240,your link is...well,a POS (like your name:))

psidriven
05-26-2004, 12:35 AM
i've had six different offers from "overseas business" with customers interested in my car try that scam on me. even had one mail the check. i know people are greedy and want the cash, but come on, this scam is getting old.

Bliss
05-26-2004, 12:38 AM
wtf kinda scam is that? im with airsoft...i fail to see how someone can make something off of you..?

Andrew Bohan
05-26-2004, 01:00 AM
money laundering and you get involved

Salty_X
05-26-2004, 01:34 AM
Basically, the overseas people get in touch with you wanting to buy something from you. They then make up some crap like, "oh this guy over here owes me X amount of money (which is usually a lot more than what they plan to pay for your product), I'll have him send the money directly to you, and you send me the product and the difference between the check/money order and the price of the product."

Of course, it's not a scam unless there's trickery and deceit involved, and this is where that comes in: Whatever form of payment they send you, be it a cashier's check or money order (something that is usually considered as good as cash, but not really cash), is FAKE/FORGED!!

They do this stupid, gay crap in hopes that their mark (that would be you) deposits the check/mo, withdraws the difference, and sends the product and money back to their home country before the bank informs the mark that the check was a fake and that they must give the money back. Unfortunately, by this time it's too late for you, because the people are in another country (usually one with a low/zero likelihood of punishment) with your money and your shit!

Go Dog Go
05-26-2004, 12:06 PM
are there really people ignorant enough to send products/money etc to others before a check has cleared? :ugh:

SimpleS14
05-26-2004, 01:48 PM
wow....thanks for letting me know...glad I read this thread. I had like four people doing that to me right now as I'm trying to sell my car. One guy begged me to take my car off autotrader....of course I'm not that fucking stupid. I will call the people that are interested once I fix some bits.....this of course...is the reason why I let this go on for so long.

THANKS AGAIN

Salty_X
05-26-2004, 02:59 PM
are there really people ignorant enough to send products/money etc to others before a check has cleared? :ugh:
I'm sure there are some, but it seems like the majority of the time the scammers use cashiers checks and money orders, which are usually considered to be as good as money, because they are backed with cash. Of course that is not the case with fake cashiers checks or fake money orders, so people that are easily trusting get suckered and end up owing the bank a considerable sum of money as well as losing their product.

rps13sh
05-26-2004, 03:23 PM
i got a simular email from another guy for my craigslist post for my s14 gab setup.

SimpleS14
05-26-2004, 04:46 PM
yea....my first e-mail was some guy that vacated to Holland for a honey moon. I was like "ok"...but then oddly enough 15mins later I get another e-mail from this guy using a yahoo.co.uk account. I ask them both why they want the car without inspecting it and what are their plans. They completely ignore them and said "I will mail you a cashier's check and you contact my shipper to send the car". THEN...I got another guy that has just left the country but has some clients that can mail me a check...so I started freaking out. THEN I got another mofo that told me he has sent me a check and I should e-mail him ASAP when I get it....but this guy never told me the amount...nor why he wants my car. I decided to ditch these four people and just get intouch with some REAL buyers for my car.

What should I do if I get a fake cashier's check/money order?

nokeone
05-26-2004, 04:55 PM
take it to a bank to inspect...if it's fake notify the authorities...save all info on where it came from...

this just happened to me as well...lol...i didn't think it was a scam..cause they never said anything about a 3rd party sending me money...just that they wanted to me remove the ad for my 510...that they wanted it...they lived in illinois...wanted all my info on where to send the check and to calculate shipping..didn't need to see it in person first...i would contacted by the shipper...blah blah...i already sold it to someone else..lol..we'll see if they still send the money...:D

mjjstang
05-26-2004, 07:00 PM
ya gotta look at what hes tellin you, if he cant summarize how hes going to pay in about 2 lines, hes scamming you. I will pay you this much and then you send me the item. 13 words it took me, this guy is giving you the runaround deal. I almost got scammed before by overseas guys selling suzuki motorcycles cause their brother died, if anything he died of laughter from the last guy that fell into the deal. people are dumb as shit and if you fall into the scam searves you right, I did a lil research and found out that his only form of payment accepted (western union) is not liable for a dime if you get scammed, thats why they want to use western union. your scam is different but still has a lot of similarities w overseas and that shit.

rps13sh
05-26-2004, 07:38 PM
copy and pasted my mail...

Thanks for the mail i will buy it.Payment will be made via a cachiers
check of $2750 by a client of mine in the state an amount oweing, so he
said it can only be issued on a single check and it can be cashed at
any local outlets in your area.All i need from you is your full name and
address including phone number so i can fax it to my client. Pickup
arrangement will be made by my shipper, so as soon as you recieve payment
you will deduct your actual amount and extra $120 for wiring the rest
of the funs to my shipper via western union money transfer who will be
at your location for the pick up. confirm this and get back to me with