PDA

View Full Version : Epoxied gas tank? Help!

Mell0hYellow
10-24-2013, 09:11 PM
So I just bought a 91 fastback and the previous owner had epoxied the fuel pump door of the gas tank. It died on me on the way to the car wash. Everything electrical is fine and it cranks. I do have spark and I hear the fuel pump priming but I'm pretty sure that its clogged as the rest of the inside is rather rusty. Problem is the epoxy is on there pretty good and I can't get it up to even pull the fuel pump out. Should I just get a new tank and pump assembly or does anyone have any advice to getting the epoxy off?

Mell0hYellow
10-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Also is there any advice as to prevent clogs without having to remove the fuel pump door? Anything I can just dump in the tank?

UnknownGuy
10-24-2013, 10:25 PM
for a long term fix I would get a new tank and fuel pump assembly, especially considering that they're really isn't any real such thing as draino for fuel tanks. Your best bet is to try and cut out as much epoxy out of the fuel pump assembly cover and pry it open with a small crow bar (make sure to be extra careful eapecially since your dealing with explosive gases). Get a PLASTIC fish tank scoop and try to scoop out any large debris out of the fuel take. Good luck