PDA

View Full Version : s13 major electrical problems

stev0n
10-23-2013, 07:26 PM
I've read every thread pertaining to this type of problem & none of the solutions have worked. So i'm at your mercy for help

The car is a 90 hatch with LS1. Bought the car as a rolling shell complete except for no engine. Never really touched any of the chassis wiring until now that it runs & drives.

WHAT WORKS
Parking/Tail lights
door chime
red dash lights (door ajar/etc.)
passenger power seatbelt
dome light
Dash lights - when key is turned on they come on. When headlights are turned on, they turn off

WHAT DOESN'T WORK
head lights
turn signals
dash lights (see above)
HVAC (blower/lights - none of it works)
brake lights
driver's side power belt

All fuses & relays are good both under the hood & kick panel. (I have not tried replacing the blower relay behind the dash.
The TCU & dimmer switch are new as well. I'm pretty sure it's not the headlight stalk switch since it turns parking/tail lights on & the screwy dash lights.
I get no power at the headlight plugs for any of the 3 wires on each side.
The chassis harness appears to have never been touched.

I have run out of ideas to troubleshoot, any you guys have will be very welcome.

JDMBart
10-23-2013, 09:44 PM
had a problem just like this, nothing at all seemed to work. Take the fenders off and look at the bunch of cables that go by the wheels. My issue was that the wires rubbed on the wheels for too long and corroded and stopped working. If this is the case just replace the wires and you are good to go

zerodameaon
10-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Going to have to agree with Bart on the rubbing of the harness in the arches.

stev0n
10-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Ok. I'll pull the fender in the morning and see what it looks like.

The car was pretty stock when I got it except for some stupid neons lights underneath it. The front end had never been removed. Could that harness have been damaged without the fender ever being removed before or the car being lowered?

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk.

zerodameaon
10-24-2013, 01:24 AM
It is not from the removal of the fender but from the tire eating the harness when it hits it.
See how this hangs down.
http://givemeshred.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/givemeshred-s13-fender-harness-reroute-07.jpg

You need to get them up higher.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/timberlando/IMG_1924.jpg

stev0n
10-24-2013, 01:27 AM
Ah. I see. We'll I hope the problem is that simple. I need to relocate it before I put the 19's & s15 fenders on anyways then.

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk.

stev0n
10-24-2013, 02:44 PM
The harness on the fenders was fine. damnit.

so i went ahead and pulled the dash. The first thing I noticed was the blower motor was not plugged up. And I can not find a plug for it. I traced the harness from the HVAC unit to the blower motor and there aren't any wires branching off to even go to it. Does anyone have a picture of the dash off to see where that plug should be coming out of the main harness?

I hot wired the blower motor & it worked fine, so I know it's good.

The next thing I noticed is the brake pedal doesn't have a switch on it for the brake lights. So that's 2 problems down.