PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal keeps popping a/c and gauges

Bpinoy730
10-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Ok, what I have is a 1994 240sx convertible, DOHC auto185k miles. I've been playing where's Waldo with some electric problems, to either circumvent or repair them.

IN SHORT: speed/tach/temp/mileage gauges stop working. A/c and heat stop working. Cruse control stops working. turn signals stop working -hazard lights will work. It all seems to happen sometimes when I use the turn signals. If I restart the car they usually function again

1)Problem: First it was the dash gauges that started randomly turning off.

Solution 1) Sometimes they would come back on when I restarted the car, sometimes not. The car has some quarter panel rust, and before I bought it was in a passenger side accident that bent the radiator support and headlight. I replaced the support and thought maybe it was the frame being poorly grounded, so I made sure to add wiring points. Maybe it was my imagination, but gauges seem to work slightly better.

Solution 2) I pulled out my wonderful volt meter and started downloading wire diagrams/hunting forums. As I was doing this I decided to do a wire tuck and hammer my wheel wells. Cigarette lighter fuse was found to be blown and worked after fuse replace.

Problem 2) when I finished the tucking my low beams and turn signals no longer worked. I found that I had switched green/black wires and wired the turn signal to the cruse control. Turn signals functioned. Low beams still not.

Solution 3) I tapped into the high and low beams and put them on light switches. This caused the high beam and ground wire on relay 3 to melt. I made a independent wire harness just for the headlights which is wired straight to the battery and grounded to the car. this fixed my head lights. I replaced the melted wires, and relays for good measure. Both 15amp fuses had to be replaced.

Solution 4) I took the turn signal switch apart and cleaned the contacts. Signals are brighter, but dash still goes out sometimes when I use the signals. I also replaced the spring-loaded contacts for the horn and cruse control. those items work.