PDA

View Full Version : Popping sound when braking and turning

Kanto
10-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Recently I have been hearing a popping sound in the front suspension area when I brake or when I turn the wheel to lock in one direction. Also even more recently when I start the car up and let it warm up, when I turn the wheel there is a very long sound that sounds like rubber or something like that. It's hard to explain the sound. If anyone knows what could be causing this please let me know.

!Zar!
10-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Check your tension rod bracket or your tension rod for the poppin noise.

Squeeking noise is your power steering belt slipping.

90s13hb
10-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Yes sir, check ur tension rod bushings. Mine r shot n I'm having the same noise coming from the front. Wen I stop at a light or coming out the driveway at an angle so my bumper won't scrape

sleepyS14se
10-17-2013, 06:46 AM
anyone ever use the energy suspensions tension rod bushings? or is it better to just replace the rods?

Kallixtos
10-17-2013, 09:30 AM
anyone ever use the energy suspensions tension rod bushings? or is it better to just replace the rods?

I have. They work fine. They're a cheap alternative. I didn't keep the car long, so I dont really know about long term durability. If you have the coin just get some decent spherical.

cotbu
10-17-2013, 10:41 AM
They used to have 2 designs, the 3pc and the solid piece.
my experience, 3pc eliminated the slow speed braking and driveway popping. The solid press in bushings eliminated all popping, including hard launches and any type of braking, shifting of weight popping.
solid bushing is about 9yrs old

Kanto
10-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Thanks. I'll get some new tension rods

cotbu
10-18-2013, 08:01 AM
The other sound if stationary, when turning to full lock, could be the top hat bearings or springs.

Sent from my Highly Tune Galaxy S3.4!!!

sleepyS14se
10-18-2013, 08:19 AM
where can you purchase solid tension rod bushings?

zachvirus
10-26-2013, 11:23 AM
check your spanner nuts and make sure they are tightened down if you are running coilovers. you could also go ahead and upgrade to aftermarket adjustable tension rods.

Sr20 420sx
10-26-2013, 11:25 AM
^yea make sure those are tight and good chance it's just your springs moving and making the noise.

sleepyS14se
10-30-2013, 10:31 AM
where can you purchase solid tension rod bushings?

can someone please answer this:zzz:

cotbu
10-31-2013, 07:22 AM
can someone please answer this:zzz:

Find an ebay supplier, that bought up the old stock of energy suspension kits or ask drift freak, you know engine mounts to make you some custom, or make your own. Those solids where replaced by the 3pc probably more than 9years ago.

Im sure there is something out there, that will work, but the cheap adjustable rods are still available if all else fails.

sleepyS14se
10-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Find an ebay supplier, that bought up the old stock of energy suspension kits or ask drift freak, you know engine mounts to make you some custom, or make your own. Those solids where replaced by the 3pc probably more than 9years ago.

Im sure there is something out there, that will work, but the cheap adjustable rods are still available if all else fails.

i have a basically stock s14 dropped on megan springs. I have ordered kyb agx for all 4 corners.

my tension rods are shot to hell and back and they pop and bang constantly.

What would the best choice be for someone like myself? i want something good for street use. From reading this and alot of other threads it seems as if the ES bushings are a BAD choice.

cotbu
10-31-2013, 01:44 PM
i have a basically stock s14 dropped on megan springs. I have ordered kyb agx for all 4 corners.

my tension rods are shot to hell and back and they pop and bang constantly.

What would the best choice be for someone like myself? i want something good for street use. From reading this and alot of other threads it seems as if the ES bushings are a BAD choice.

The ES 3pc bushings should be good for a daily, but for aggressive driving, you can find used adjustable tension rods pretty cheap.

sleepyS14se
10-31-2013, 02:26 PM
are megan tension rods decent enough to use on DD/spirited driving? found em brand new for 120

cotbu
10-31-2013, 04:47 PM
are megan tension rods decent enough to use on DD/spirited driving? found em brand new for 120

Yeah, but it's your car. You have to be the judge.

sleepyS14se
10-31-2013, 05:06 PM
whats a good choice for front lower control arm bushings?