PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Oil and random Hose not connected

creatorvince
10-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Basic info: 1990 240sx hatch with a KA24E, base model, 5 speed.
Last night i was checking all the fluids and i checked the oil and it was barley on the dipstick. I got to looking around and noticed a bunch of oil around the pass. side. (which looked like it had sprayed from somewhere) there is a short piece of hose that is coming off the hardlines from the rear of the car. it seems like it was connected to something but doesn't reach anywhere and my guess is the source of all the oil/ leak. Not sure exactly what everything is so any help would be appreciated. Pictures included.

Rayne
10-13-2013, 09:01 PM
The second picture is your clutch slave cylinder/(according to the FSM: clutch operating cylinder) The slave cylinder will always have only one hose that connects to it. The other connection is an air bleeder valve and should be tightened down unless you are bleeding the clutch system.

Follow the hardline that connects to the clutch master cylinder all the way to the slave cylinder.

If the previous owner didn't do a clutch dampner bypass there will be a box with an air bleeder valve and two other hardlines. One of the hardlines connects to the clutch hose. The clutch hose connects to the slave cylinder.

If a clutch dampner bypass was done, the box may or may not be there and the hardline that runs from the clutch master cylinder will be connected directly to the clutch hose.

There is nothing wrong with doing the bypass it just makes pushing the clutch pedal in, a little bit tougher than the factory intended. It is a fairly common "Modification."

jr_ss
10-14-2013, 08:09 AM
The rubber hose not attached to anything is most likely for your charcoal canister, which was either removed or bypassed. It most likely no longer works as it is.

ShadowMan
10-15-2013, 08:31 PM
You say there is a hard line coming from the rear of the car as well with just a short piece of hose attached to it? That hardline is the breather for your gas tank. Like jr_ss said, it is probably for your charcoal canister, and wouldn't be the source of the oil, I have a vacuum hose that connects that hardline to my intake as I don't have any emission gizmo's on my car. Also, non of your pictures show anything that I can see would be the source of your engine leaking oil. Was it low on oil because it's been awhile since you last checked it/changed it? Does it leave oil puddles or drops when you park it?

creatorvince
10-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Thank for the help guys. I figured out the problem. Found out oil is spraying from the exhaust. But as for the oil in the bay, I still have no clue where it came from

Mikester
10-16-2013, 09:23 AM
^^Look all around your oil filter housing. Judging by where that oil is, it seems that it could be spraying from there. The only other thing I could possibly think of is that some 'genius' disconnected the AC lines while the system was under pressure; which would spray the refrigerant & oil all around that area. Does your AC work? If not, I bet that's why.

The 'disconnected hose' in the 3rd pic as stated is from the fuel tank breather check valve to the cannister... Nothnig to do with oil.

ShadowMan
10-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Thank for the help guys. I figured out the problem. Found out oil is spraying from the exhaust. But as for the oil in the bay, I still have no clue where it came from

If you have oil "spraying" out of your exhaust, you have bigger problems than an oily engine bay. Forget trying to find that leak. You have a rebuild or swap in your future. Where is it spraying out of your exhaust? Where the head meets the header? I would check the oil filter as mentioned, make sure that old rubber seal came off as sometimes they stick to the oil block. Make sure you inspect the new seal as well before you put the new filter on. I've never seen oil spray out of an exhaust, not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never seen it spray out and soak an engine bay like that before.

creatorvince
10-19-2013, 08:51 PM
As you guys mentioned I checked the oil filter and sure enough that was the problem. It was cracked. Just replaced and changed the oil. A DE swap is sometime in the near future. Just looking for a good price on a full swap. Thanks again guys. Much appreciated

ShadowMan
10-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Mikester for the win. Glad you found it and that it will be a cheap fix.

creatorvince
10-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Just thought i'd update you guys with a picture of the oil filter from the PO. He didn't care about the car which makes me sad.

Rayne
10-23-2013, 06:12 AM
As you guys mentioned I checked the oil filter and sure enough that was the problem. It was cracked. Just replaced and changed the oil. A DE swap is sometime in the near future. Just looking for a good price on a full swap. Thanks again guys. Much appreciated

¨Seafoam" the engine at least once.

jr_ss
10-23-2013, 08:25 AM
If you are refering to dumping deadpan into the crankcase, get ready to spend some money. That shit will destroy your bottomend in a heartbeat. Now if your refering to cleaning intake tracts, valves, fuel system, have at it.