PDA

View Full Version : Boost leak, running very rich

So Make Like
10-11-2013, 02:59 PM
On the turbo outlet, one of the three bolts snapped off from being over-torqued thus creating a pretty bad boost leak. It's very noticeable in power loss and the smell of gas is strong. I've changed my oil recently and noticed it looks watery and reeks of fuel along with my oil cap. I know it's gasoline, but I wanted to know if a mere boost leak could have caused enough gas to mix with my oil that it would actually change the viscosity of the oil into that of water-like resemblance. Other things I've read up on was piston rings, but I feel very confident that that isn't the case. Regardless, would a boost leak be able to cause that? :/

I'm dreading having to extract that snapped bolt. It's the one on the bottom lol.

Rayne
10-13-2013, 04:48 AM
Just extract and replace the bolt and go from there.

You may need to replace a gasket.

Croustibat
10-13-2013, 04:44 PM
On the turbo outlet, one of the three bolts snapped off from being over-torqued thus creating a pretty bad boost leak. It's very noticeable in power loss and the smell of gas is strong. I've changed my oil recently and noticed it looks watery and reeks of fuel along with my oil cap. I know it's gasoline, but I wanted to know if a mere boost leak could have caused enough gas to mix with my oil that it would actually change the viscosity of the oil into that of water-like resemblance. Other things I've read up on was piston rings, but I feel very confident that that isn't the case. Regardless, would a boost leak be able to cause that? :/

I'm dreading having to extract that snapped bolt. It's the one on the bottom lol.

If you have petrol in oil, there is quite a lot of chance for it to come through the piston rings.

I'd even say there is no other way ... the boost leak revealed a worn engine. Time to strip it all out and rebuild ..

So Make Like
10-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Is that so? Hm...that's a shame. I'll definitely prepare for the worst, but I think I'll start off by extracting and replacing the bolt, changing the oil and seeing where I stand from there. Looks like another learning experience on the daily vehicle! Lol fml.

So Make Like
11-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Update: the car won't start anymore. First, to clear it up, I compression tested the motor and got 150, 135, 150, 150. Didn't bother wet testing cylinder #2. My ancient couplers have small holes in them on both sides of the intercooler; I'm assuming I popped them the day it stopped running in the middle of a highway-overtake pull. I poorly attempted to RTV the holes up and cure for 24 hours to see if it would even idle, nothing. Yes, I am getting new couplers haha. Normal size is...2.5" ID? Idk, I have to measure them again. Checked for spark, nothing. Ohmed out coil packs, all came out to 1 ohm. Connectors are all getting 12 volts. Swapped ignitor chip and ecu from a friend's known working SR, nothing. My ecu and ignitor chip could still run his car, no problem. Brand new spark plugs. I smell fuel when cranking.

Hit me with suggestions please! Lmao greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Oh and on top of all that, I still haven't drill out that snapped bolt LOL. Fml I'm too lazy to pull the turbo.

RedtopTech
11-09-2013, 05:55 PM
at WOT SR's run richer than 10.5-1 with the factory ECU. You are going to get fuel in oil dilution even with fresh rings

So Make Like
11-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I'm now aware of that, however, I have a different issue now. Again, thanks though.