PDA

View Full Version : seam weld/stich weld

crzsteveo
10-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Is there any DIY on here? ive searched google and on here with little info on the structural aspect of seam welding on 240.

found these:

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/362348-lets-see-your-stitch-welds.html
and ive been looking at motoiq write up on matt powers s14.

Now, does everyone just get rid of that seam glue and just stich everywhere?

what im wondering if there are certain points on a hatch I should focus on.

strut towers, floorboard, etc.

thanks in advance

TheRealSy90
10-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Stitch weld every seam possible. They are all important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jamg
10-11-2013, 12:13 AM
i'd leave room for some chassis flex if it were my daily driver

guitaraholic
10-11-2013, 12:36 AM
I was told to weld every seem in between the wheels, anything outside of the wheelbase is just extra work for no gain. I've also read to try to do your best to remove the adhesive if possible, though not sure if any part of the 240 have adhesives between the sheet metal. I'll find out when I get home this spring.

I would love to see a before/after test. I know no one is going to be putting there are on a chassis tester, but maybe look at points of reference, and measure them with the car jacked up in certain spots, then see what it does after the welding.

Too bad there isn't a way to see how much of an improvement (quantitatively) seam welding does, without putting on a chassis tester.

Actually, speaking of, does anyone know the torsion rigidity of an S14? NM/Deg or lbft/Deg?

As a frame of reference, I believe a C5 Corvette has around 10,000NM/Deg (reasonabley stiff)

a Bugatti Veyron has 60,000/NM/Deg (chassis completely made of CF..IIRC)

A flimsy Countach around 3,000NM/Deg

crzsteveo
10-11-2013, 12:24 PM
thanks bradas.

only thing I can think of if it could help with flexing is driving it at an angle on a driveway or something.

I know for a fact the drive way I have to drive in at an angle, I can here the car cracking and flexing and now im seeing signs of it in the seam sealer shit.

also the hatch doesn't close when its at an angle on my driveway.

crzsteveo
10-16-2013, 01:30 PM
has anyone used or seen pics of the weld in cages from enjuku?