PDA

View Full Version : Recirculating BOV and other BOV Question

sepulchral
05-19-2004, 09:23 PM
I have a Greddy TYPE S BOV, would it be helpful or harmful to recirculate taht into the "normally blocked off hose" from the intake piping?

If helpful how?
If harmful how?

Also i have a nipple on my BOV thats not being used, what is it for?

Gladman
05-19-2004, 09:27 PM
The extra nipple on the BOV is for quick release, it will make the BOV louder and open for longer.... if you're venting to the atmosphere you dont want that.

I would highly recommend you recirculate the BOV though, i had a type-s on my car for about 2 weeks and replaced it with something more practical i could recirculate, instant kick in power when i recirced.

sepulchral
05-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Does that extra nipple connect to something?

If i find a hose that can recirculate the type s will it work fine?

wat did you use that was more practical?

IS there any noise to a recirculated atmospheric BoV?

Thank you

Bbandit
05-20-2004, 12:28 AM
if you have a cone filter.. you can still hear it
i have a turbo XS open bov (atmospheric) right now.. it keeps stalling the motor and im running crazy rich because of that...
im gonna make myself a custom intake pipe with a bung welded on it to recirculate mine this weekend.

Gladman
05-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Does that extra nipple connect to something?

If i find a hose that can recirculate the type s will it work fine?

wat did you use that was more practical?

IS there any noise to a recirculated atmospheric BoV?

Thank you

You can recirculate a type-s just fine, however, it sort of defeats the purpose of having a $150 bov. You probably wont be able to hear it nearly as loud anymore.

I just switched to a 1G talon bov, cost me about $20. Makes almost no noise, instead of BOV noise, i switched to external wastegate.

Gladman
05-20-2004, 01:18 AM
if you have a cone filter.. you can still hear it
i have a turbo XS open bov (atmospheric) right now.. it keeps stalling the motor and im running crazy rich because of that...
im gonna make myself a custom intake pipe with a bung welded on it to recirculate mine this weekend.

Wont make a difference, the recirc tube will soak up 90% of the sound, the rest will be drowned out by the MAF and filter, my bov was loud when dumped out, now you cant even hear it.

sepulchral
05-20-2004, 04:01 AM
anyone have a picture of the tube u'd recirculate to? its after t he MAFS right?

Bbandit
05-20-2004, 04:15 AM
its after the mafs.. as close as possible to the turbo compressor

Gladman
05-20-2004, 03:42 PM
you can see the clear braded tube going from my BOV to intake. -

http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/v133/black240sx/Setup.jpg

TheTimanator
05-20-2004, 04:07 PM
That tube is huge :eek3: lol, but I guess if it works! What type is of BOV is that anyway?

EDIT: thats greddy bov isn't it?

s13conv
05-21-2004, 06:45 AM
That's a clean looking KA24E-T setup.
It looks like it might be a 1g DSM BOV.

I have the greddy type-s recirculated on my galant VR-4. It's on there because the DSM one can leak at higher psi. Sometimes crushing it can help it seal better. Dejon tool also has a kit that's supposed to help. With it recirculated I can hear it plenty!

Var
05-21-2004, 09:34 AM
single cam turbo :rawk: that the way to go..i wish i had the patience to do it

scruffy63
01-21-2005, 07:24 AM
hey gladman what kind of exhaust manifold is that?

mr_240sx
01-21-2005, 10:24 AM
you can see the clear braded tube going from my BOV to intake. -

http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/v133/black240sx/Setup.jpg
Whats the pros and cons of BOV location??? I got my sr20 installed at a shop and they put my BOV (Greddy type S) on the hot pipe! I noticed that you have your BOV right before your intake manifold! Does it really matter where the BOV is situated?

nrg
01-21-2005, 12:25 PM
some have said that putting the bov on the cold pipe has better responds somewhere. Maybe it helps the turbo better. I dunno..
On s13, the OEM location is on the hotpipe or before the intercooler.
S14/S15 the oem location is on the cold pipe after the intercooler.

evilimport
01-22-2005, 01:06 AM
I've heard its better on the cold pipe because the air doesnt have to travel back through the intercooler when the throttle plate closes....dunno for sure though.

mr_240sx
01-22-2005, 11:09 AM
I've heard its better on the cold pipe because the air doesnt have to travel back through the intercooler when the throttle plate closes....dunno for sure though.
Im not trying to pick a fight or anything but, dont we use a BOV to get ride of the pressurized air so that it doesnt come back into the turbo and damage it? So wouldnt it be better to have it on the hot pipe? so that the air closer to the turbo leaves quicker? :rolleyes:

i-love-my-s14
01-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Im not trying to pick a fight or anything but, dont we use a BOV to get ride of the pressurized air so that it doesnt come back into the turbo and damage it? So wouldnt it be better to have it on the hot pipe? so that the air closer to the turbo leaves quicker? :rolleyes:
yes...............

Campos
01-23-2005, 08:24 AM
i've had me type s venting to atmos. for like a year now and it runs fine,

12.9 @ 108 stock turbo on stock steelies

Big Perm
01-23-2005, 09:19 PM
I recirc'd my type s and has made all the difference in a drivable car - granted I have only put 2750 miles in 1 year since my swap

http://members.cox.net/aaathey/Engine BAy Side.jpg

http://members.cox.net/aaathey/Engine Bay Front.jpg

mr_240sx
01-23-2005, 10:19 PM
thats weird cause i hear people saying that an atmospheric BOV makes your car stall and run rich and not run right, I run at 13 psi and have a greddy type s and isnt recirculated, and i dont seem to have any problems other then running rich!

timmybgood
01-24-2005, 12:11 AM
i've put about 3000 miles on my car since my swap with an atmospheric greddy type-s, it has never caused any stumbling or stalling. i get great milage, but my nose tells me it does seem a tad rich...