PDA

View Full Version : 95 240sx Driver side tire rubbing coilover spring

Jamie.y22
09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Alright fellas. I need help. I have the 300zx brake upgrade on my S14. I recently purchased 300zx wheels. My driver side wheel went completely flat. I took the wheel off, looked at the inside of my tire and the coilover engraved a ring around and punctured it to loose air. Driver side of my car is cambered(the side that went flat) and the passenger side is toed out. Any suggestions what this could be???

ShadowMan
09-22-2013, 06:10 PM
You need an alignment. And you need to ask them to let you under the car when they do it. You're going to need to looosen the hardware to your coilovers, and when you do that, you'll notice the little bit of wiggle room that you will have then created, and this is part of your problem. You should be able to grab that whole assembly of coilover, tire, knuckle, etc.. and wiggle it and play with where it all sits before you retighten everything down. If you're under the car and push and pull the coilover assembly away from and toward the frame rail you should be able to see what kind of interference it will create with your wheel/tire and which direction will create distance between the two. Plus the fact that you will have it on the alignment rack will let you know you're setting it right instead of guessing. I had my passenger front do the same thing, and this is what solved the problem. It's either all of the above or you blew the strut out which is what I just did to mine and now there all kind of horrible noises coming from that corner. Hope it makes sense.

Tim_Zenki
10-02-2013, 12:05 PM
You need an alignment. And you need to ask them to let you under the car when they do it. You're going to need to looosen the hardware to your coilovers, and when you do that, you'll notice the little bit of wiggle room that you will have then created, and this is part of your problem. You should be able to grab that whole assembly of coilover, tire, knuckle, etc.. and wiggle it and play with where it all sits before you retighten everything down. If you're under the car and push and pull the coilover assembly away from and toward the frame rail you should be able to see what kind of interference it will create with your wheel/tire and which direction will create distance between the two. Plus the fact that you will have it on the alignment rack will let you know you're setting it right instead of guessing. I had my passenger front do the same thing, and this is what solved the problem. It's either all of the above or you blew the strut out which is what I just did to mine and now there all kind of horrible noises coming from that corner. Hope it makes sense.

Im having the same problem with my 95 s14.
Setup: isis hr pro coilovers , XXR 527's 17x9.75 +25 with 8mm spacers on the fronts.
Only my driver side wheel is rubbing the coilover. both used to rub before i placed a spacer on the wheels

Jamie.y22
10-02-2013, 12:29 PM
I've got new wheels. 18x9.5 with +26 offset. Not sure how big of a Spacer I need though

ShadowMan
10-02-2013, 08:37 PM
I googled everything for you, cuz I'm nice today.
1 inch=25.4 mm
9.5 inch wheel= 241.3 mm
241.3 / 2 = 120.65 mm which is the exact center of the barrel of your wheel.
Your wheel has a +26 offset which means the part of the wheel that rests against your hub, i.e. mounting surface, has been moved 26 mm towards the outside of the wheel (the side that everyone likes to look at.)
That means the 120.65 + 26mm positive offset gives you 146.65 mm or 5.77 inches of rim protruding towards your coilover past the mounting surface of the hub.
I'm not doing everything for you but this should be enough to get you the answer you need.
PBM spacer kit comes with varying thicknesses so you can make your spacer as thin/thick as you'd like.

Jamie.y22
10-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Thank you. So a 10mm Hubcentric spacer will do the job just fine? And what's a good tire size to run? Everybody been telling me to run a stretch tire. A 215 or so

ShadowMan
10-02-2013, 10:02 PM
You still need to address the issue of one wheel having camber and grooving tires and one wheel being toed out. Get under your car and look around, especially at your bushings, chances are they need to be replaced. I'm sure there are several items that need replacing. Either way, you need to accept the fact that you are going to have to pay for an alignment, that or drive around a car that seems to be cross eyed, duck footed and pigeon toed. Spacers and stretched tires will by you time, but if you avoid this issue, it will cost you more in the end than just a set of bushings and an alignment.

Jamie.y22
10-03-2013, 06:20 AM
The alignment has already been taken care of. Ima have to take my coilover apart. The metal ring that goes up top of the spring is out of place

ShadowMan
10-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Hopefully that solves the issue.

Jamie.y22
10-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Okay now what size tire should I get on 18x9.5 with +26 offset. I'm gonna have to run a spacer in the front so it'll clear my coilover. I'm thinking a 10mm spacer with 225/40/18 tires