PDA

View Full Version : s13 squeak with clutch pedal out not when in

mr32690
09-18-2013, 09:21 PM
93 s13

squeaking noise coming from engine bay only while the clutch pedal is out. goes away 100% when pedal is pressed. thoughts?

Mikester
09-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Clutch out = clutch engaged = load on the engine.

Load on engine + squeak = loose or faulty belt.

mr32690
09-19-2013, 08:40 AM
That sounds much better.

I had a couple sources thinking it was the throw out bearing.

also just noticed on a drive. this really only happens after the car is warmed up. checked under the hood. sound doesnt seem to be coming from the front (where the belt is) could it be the throw out bearing?

mechanicalmoron
09-19-2013, 08:46 AM
I think the throwout bearing would do the opposite, it has pressure on it when the pedal is pressed. Maybe it's something in your transmission input shaft side?

I know that when I'm in neutral I get a whirring/gear noise from my transmission, though it can hardly be heard with the shift boot (lower rubber one) in place. I believe it's the front half of the transmission. Do you get this when you're in gear, or when you are driving? Or just stopped?

I guess it's possible it's the throwout bearing, if it's just barely touching the pressure plate all the time. But I don't think it should be. Maybe check that your clutch slave isn't sticking or anything? With no pressure on the pedal, you should be able to push it in (gently, and not too far.... don't go nuts with it or anything) by hand. In fact, you might start the car, and see if pushing in the slave so that you can move the arm a bit more (in towards the cylinder, like you're letting off the clutch even farther), gets rid of the squeak - if so (or if you're unable to compress the slave by hand) you probably need to shorten the pushrod by loosening the 12mm jam nut that connects it to the pedal, twisting the rod, and re-jamming.

Does the clutch diseguage at a reasonable distance of pedal travel? Like, most of the way to the floor, but not TOO far?

mr32690
09-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Generally, I only hear it while in neutral and stopped, as this is the only time that I can let the clutch pedal out without the noise of the road. At first, i did assume it was the belt, however it does seem to be coming more from the front of the transmission. To be completely honest it is fairly minimal. just enough to notice and be annoyed by. just dont want to end up with a big problem because i ignored a small one

mechanicalmoron
09-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Generally, I only hear it while in neutral and stopped, as this is the only time that I can let the clutch pedal out without the noise of the road. At first, i did assume it was the belt, however it does seem to be coming more from the front of the transmission. To be completely honest it is fairly minimal. just enough to notice and be annoyed by. just dont want to end up with a big problem because i ignored a small one

I assume you have enough gear oil? If you don't know or have never changed it, you might check it. Take the plug with the square head off the side of the transmission, and the oil should be level with the hole. (If you change it, use only redline or amsoil GL4, not a gl5/gl4 combo)

It sort of sounds like something in the input side of the transmission to me, but then without rebuilding it, I don't see what you could do, besides checking the oil. If it's the clutch, meh, drive it until you need a clutch, and then worry about it, there's no sense in pulling out the clutch and not doing the whole job, and there's no sense in doing the clutch when it otherwise seems fine, and might be the transmission.